Engine & Leisure Batteries Dead... (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Due to a combination of lockdown and a member of the family shielding it has been impossible to get access to our van and start it up / take it for a drive, there is no hookup at my storage area. I know (from remote monitoring) that both the engine and leisure batteries are dead.

It’s a Ducato 2019 150 BHP, and I’m hoping I can recover the engine battery, and get it back to life, holding a charge (fingers crossed). But the two 90 amp AGMs are probably goosed!

I might as well take the opportunity to replace them with Lithium so looking for recommendations on which are worth considering at 100 to 110 amps?

Appreciate feedback.
Ian

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Read this months mag on lithiums. Edit beaten to it.
Even if you use ehu all the time i would invest in solar min 100w just for storage and a votronics duo mppt controller. Battery wise varta lfd90 or the like. this is the cost effective solution (I am soon to chnge to gels). If you normally use ehu there is no need for lithium.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Read this months mag on lithiums. Edit beaten to it.
Even if you use ehu all the time i would invest in solar min 100w just for storage and a votronics duo mppt controller. Battery wise varta lfd90 or the like. this is the cost effective solution (I am soon to chnge to gels). If you normally use ehu there is no need for lithium.
I have 100w solar but at this time of the year they last only so long even with that.

About to read the mag!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd certainly try reviving your leisure batteries before replacing them with Lithium
Furthermore before investing in Lithium I'd suggest investing in solar panels which would could keep both sets of btteries topped up over winter.
If you've managed so far with the capacity of your AGM batteries then Lithium is unlikely to give you much benefit.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Thanks for the heads up theoneandonly and Sapper520- the mag is a great read this month - and satisfied me I need to go to lithium's.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
read this thread

a lot of work or very deep pockets.
ps i have 450W solar and no problems other than self created cockups.
as robert says try and revive existing batteries ,even just for this years "extended season".
hope it all helps.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Read the thread - nice write up with excellent illustration photos - thanks for that.

Those leisure batteries of mine are going no where - according to the Sargent remote they were last seen at 4v:eek: before everything shut down. They are Banner 90amp AGM units, they always seemed to drain more quickly than anticipated given the load. The most I could ever have pulled out of them was 43amps (I calculated it) and there were alarms on the Sargent about shutting down! They may never have been fully charged of course, but the panel only shows voltage so hard to tell the real state of charge and drain.

They also took forever to charge whilst driving, max feed from the Sargent Panel is 20amps, though I suspect it is a LOT less than that, and as mentioned above, they may never have fully charged.

Thanks to Eddies feedback (in the magazine) and those from others on the forum I'm going to swap to a single Lithium in the short term (probably 120amp) with a 30amp B2B, I've been threatening this for a year or more, probably add a second as soon as I prove the setup.

I do intend to extend the solar, but more interested in charging whilst travelling in the first instance. We move every two days at least when not hooked up.

Q: Would there be any issue with using two lithium's of differing amperages (i.e. 120amp and 100amp) in parallel? I'm certain I can get a 120amp in the battery box but possibly not two.

Q: I have a question around the B2B too. I'd like to get a 60amp model, but that would be too much for a single battery (ideal for two of course). I wondered if there are any B2B that can have the charge current restricted, say to 30amp on a 60amp model? I would just need to get the larger unit in that case to work now and in the future with a second battery?

Thanks all for the feedback.

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
I've been in the same situation. My batteries (cab and hab) went down to stupid voltages very quickly over a couple of weeks in November! Need to work out why when I can get back out there...

I was able, pre-lockdown, to retrieve both dead batteries and they seem to have recovered with the use of a Ring and Ctek smart charger/conditioner and they hold their charge so I may have just about got away with it.

Lithium has lots of benefits for deep pockets but I think I'd be looking at decent Solar and B2B charging options first and it "sounds" like your usage is similar so maybe a cheaper option - one can always invest in Lithium compatible kit and go for the batteries when getting into off-grid stuff.

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Q: Would there be any issue with using two lithium's of differing amperages (i.e. 120amp and 100amp) in parallel? I'm certain I can get a 120amp in the battery box but possibly not two.
I would say that's a no no..but I'd check with the battery manufacturer..
I never thought it was a great idea with lead acid if you wanted to have an ideal set up..and with the lithium battery cells staying in balance been fairly critical to get the best out of them then I see two dissimilar capacity batteries as been an issue..

I wondered if there are any B2B that can have the charge current restricted, say to 30amp on a 60amp model
The Stirling 60 amp unit I have has a 50% power setting...though I've never used it..it seems to have been provided primarily so the unit can run cooler and the fan doesn't have to run constantly..
Andy

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Q: I have a question around the B2B too. I'd like to get a 60amp model, but that would be too much for a single battery (ideal for two of course). I wondered if there are any B2B that can have the charge current restricted, say to 30amp on a 60amp model? I would just need to get the larger unit in that case to work now and in the future with a second battery?
As far as I understand it, you can put 60A into most LiFePO4s without an issue. Mine says it can take 100A current, although I only have a Sterling 30A B2B. I wouldn’t worry about 60A, as a new LiFePO4 is likely to be able to soak up whatever you give it.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I've been in the same situation although my batteries (cab and hab) went down to stupid voltages over a couple of weeks in November! Need to work out why when I can get back out there...

I was able, pre-lockdown, to retrieve both dead batteries and they seem to have recovered with the use of a Ring and Cetek smart charger/conditioner and they hold their charge so I may have just about got away with it.

Lithium has lots of benefits for deep pockets but I think I'd be looking at decent Solar and B2B charging options first and it "sounds" like your usage is similar so maybe a cheaper option - one can always invest in Lithiiuum compatible kit and go for the batteries when getting into off-grid stuff.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m certain the AGMs will be dead, and replacement with something decent will be £150 to £220 each I suspect (£300 - £440 the pair). A single Sterling 120amp lithium is £600, not cheap but will only buy once.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
As far as I understand it, you can put 60A into most LiFePO4s without an issue. Mine says it can take 100A current, although I only have a Sterling 30A B2B. I wouldn’t worry about 60A, as a new LiFePO4 is likely to be able to soak up whatever you give it.
Sterling and several others quote max input of 50amps for a single battery.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
As far as I understand it, you can put 60A into most LiFePO4s without an issue.
Most of the drop in lithium will have a data sheet from the manufacturer stating what is recommended..
My tn 110 amp hour batteries can be charged at up to 50 amps..but the recommended rate is .2C ...so little over 20 amps..
Lithium are not much different to any other battery..the harder you work them the less the life expectancy..
Andy

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I would say that's a no no..but I'd check with the battery manufacturer..
I never thought it was a great idea with lead acid if you wanted to have an ideal set up..and with the lithium battery cells staying in balance been fairly critical to get the best out of them then I see two dissimilar capacity batteries as been an issue..

The Stirling 60 amp unit I have has a 50% power setting...though I've never used it..it seems to have been provided primarily so the unit can run cooler and the fan doesn't have to run constantly..
Andy
I’m sure (having thought it thru) you are correct mismatched battery power would compromise cell balancing when in parallel. I was too simplistic with that idea!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Is this kind of expense only justified if you spend all your holidays - OFF GRID? and pointless if you spend them on sites?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'd sort the engtine battery first to make sure you haven't a load of ECU/airbag/bcm troubles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back