Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
Hello,

:help: Could anyone tell me if a 19 or 2.5 Diesel engine & gearbox out of a 1994 onwards (boxer shape) would fit in a 1992 Talbot.
Thanks in advance:thumb:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Sorry, No can help. However if you do go down that road, go 2.5. I have the 1.9 Boxer and is Grossley under powered in a 3000kg camper.

Sorry

Don

K

kenj

Deleted User
Hi Ken,
I think the best person to tell you about engine swops will be mike chubb he buys and sells all manor of parts for these vans,good luck

contact him at www.no1gear.com Tel 01460 67000

Kenj

BGD

Banned
Aug 20, 2007
Costa Blanca, Spain.
Funster No
Dunno about the Boxer (post 1994 wasn't it?) but why not go for a 2.5 litre deisel engine from another van which was the same generation as yours.

The Talbot Express is exactly the same van as the Peugeot J5, and the Citroen C25.
They were all made on exactly the same production line by PSA group, and just badged differently.

If you could find a donor '92 or '93 vehicle, you could swop over all the ancillary components that you might need in addition to just the engine lump (things like engine mounts, fuel pump, half-shafts, pipes, cables, etc etc etc).

Mine's a 1992, with the non-turbo 2.5 litre diesel enging, and whilst it's slow, it chugs along forever at about 60/65 mph, and is totally simple and reliable, and that's just fine for me.

I've changed a number of car engines/gearboxes in my time, you need to be a pretty good home-mechanic to do it.
The lack of a Haynes manual doesn't help, but the Peter Russek workshop manual for this van covers big jobs like this pretty well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wildcamper

wildcamper

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
hi bgd what sort of mpg do you get from you 2.5? and how do you find it on the hills.

thanks ken:thumb:

BGD

Banned
Aug 20, 2007
Costa Blanca, Spain.
Funster No
I'm averaging about 29.4 mpg on mixed roads (mainly A-road type roads, but with some twisties thrown in, and quite a lot of hilly terrain), and ours is an overcab coachbuilt (so not very aerodynamic), although it is the "stubby" short-wheel-base 4 berth Eura Mobil body - there's piccies of it in my folder in the photos section of this site, and on my own website.
This average was calculated over about 2,000 kms.

I must add though, that I really do drive it very gently, as I don't like pushing it hard (it's an old dog of a van), and I don't do over about 85 kmph (about 55-ish mph) at all; we just chug along.

On hills I've always got an open road ahead of me. (Loads of vehicles behind me of course, but that ain't a problem for me)
On any long hill with anything but a gentle incline, it's down to 4th gear, and chug up it at about 50 to 60 kmph; on steeper hills I sometimes have to go down to third gear.
Probably if I revved the nuts off it I could get more progress, but I don't want to 'cos:

A. At 140,000 kms on the clock, I reckon nurturing the old thing is probably a good idea.

B. The fuel economy for any "brick-shaped" large vehicle drops hugely when you get above about 50mph, as from then on wind resistance becomes an increasingly more susbstantial factor than rolling road resistance.

C. I like to enjoy the scenery - it's the travel as much as the arrival that we are enjoying with our old-dog MH.

D. Things start to rattle and fall off it.

Cheers,

Bruce.

OP
OP
wildcamper

wildcamper

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
Hi Bruce,

I know exactly what your saying, the mpg tend to sway me more towards a straight 2.5D but the chugging along sways me more towards the 2.5 Turbo:Doh:
We had a Hymer 2.5 and travelled to Spain and never got over 55 down hill with a tail wind:roflmto: and we said never again.
We bought another Hymer 2lt petrol and I converted it to 2.5TD, and we travelled to Spain again this year and it was great to have the extra power on the hills but the down side was only getting 22mpg:cry: Both were 1992 Ducato's.
The one we have now is a 1992 Talbot Compass Drifter 405 (as on avatar) its a 2lt petrol, its hard to get hold of an older van with a TD in, which is why I was wanting to know weather the linkage shaft out the gearbox was the same, as mine is floor shift and the newer ones are dash mounted.
Chugging along doesn't bother me, its just the wife & kids:RollEyes:
Thaks very much for your help:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back