Engine charging (1 Viewer)

Aros More

Free Member
Nov 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Hello, please excuse me if I’m posting a subject which has been well covered previously as I’m new to motorhomes but more familiar with boat charging systems .
While away in our new Elddis 185. Wild camping 1st night all seemed well though leisure battery indicator showed low in morning (I don’t rate these block indicators over a voltage reading) We then drove for 3 hours when I assumed the leisure battery would be charged by engine. 2nd night we used power a fair bit and in morning we had a completely dead van, no lights pumps anything. The engine of course did start so first stop was Halfords for a voltmeter. Leisure battery read 5v, damagingly low I feared! Any after driving for 2 hours I stopped and checked voltage again, 4.5v. I started engine and took another reading, as suspected no increase on 4.5 confirming nothing was coming from alternator. We arrived at a site and with mains charging the battery came back to life as expected. To test alternator again I removed mains power and let the battery settle for 30mins and checked 12.8v Ok. I then started engine and took reading, 14.6v indicating the alternator was indeed charging the battery. At last to my question. Is there some form of diode protection for the alternator that prevents it charging if the leisure battery is too low as after 3 or 4 hours I would have expected at least some charge to have been replaced.
Many thanks in advance.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hopefully someone who can help will be along shortly (y)

But Hi and welcome to Motorhomefun

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
it would seem logical that there is some low voltage cutoff device.

i know my bench charger will not instigate a charge if the battery to be charged is below a certain voltage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
w2f

I`m no techie, but I think if your cab battery is fully charged the alternator will shut down and charge nothing.
A B2B is required, it fools the alternator into providing a permanent charge.
Someone with more technical knowledge will be along soon (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the alternator on your van is putting very little into the leisure battery. Once the cab battery is charged the alternator drops right down on it's output. That is why many of us fit B2B battery to battery chargers and solar panels

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
And if the alternator sees no or way too low a voltage fed back, the regulator would shut down

If it's a new van, it likely has a smart alternator, which is even worse on a motorhome

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
At 10V a standard battery is flat. Do that regularly, and especially if you take it below that, it's not going to be happy with risk of damage so that it can't take or hold a proper charge.

Modern battery charging systems may not like a really flat battery. For your van, as the alternator charging links with both the engine and then habitation, if the engine is saying it's charged, the smart alternator electrickery may not see the really flat leisure so it cuts out. There is a techy video from Sterling that explains what may be happening

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
im thinking what will have happened is that the 12v system will have shut down on very low voltage..
that may well have prevented your split charge system from connecting the leisure battery to the electrical system...hence no charging... thats common enough on some systems
once on mains it will have charged sufficiently to allow normal service to resume..
that would be my best guess:unsure:
Andy

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If the base vehicle is new and has a smart alternator the constructor should have known that there would be problems charging the leisure battery and done something about it. This is not a new problem.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The split charge relay directly connects the starter battery and the leisure battery. The alternator can't tell that it's two batteries, it thinks it's just one big battery. So if the split charge relay was working, the leisure battery should have been charging, to about the same level as the starter battery.

The split charge relay needs a minimum voltage on the coil to switch the main contacts. It should work from as low as 10V, maybe 8v, but 5V may simply be too low to power the coil so it didn't switch.

If you use a jump lead to momentarily connect the starter battery and leisure battery, that might bump up the voltage to 10V, when it might have started working. There's the risk of dragging the starter battery down so it won't start the engine. If you connected them when the engine was already running, there's much less risk of that.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It is likely that either your control panel/split charge relay or your B2B charger detected the low voltage on the leisure battery and decided to disable charging as it couldn't be sure that it would be safe to charge. Once you'd got the battery up to a reasonable voltage, it started working again.

Your battery will almost certainly have been significantly damaged by the low voltage. At a minimum you should run a smart charger on it using a high voltage repair cycle. However, you may find your battery now has significantly reduced capacity.

OP
OP
Aros More

Aros More

Free Member
Nov 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Many thanks for all the replies. It’s a Peugeot vehicle and has a Euro 6 engine which suggests it has a smart alternator. A battery to battery charger sounds like a good solution perhaps they should be fitted as standard.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Many thanks for all the replies. It’s a Peugeot vehicle and has a Euro 6 engine which suggests it has a smart alternator. A battery to battery charger sounds like a good solution perhaps they should be fitted as standard.

Your scenario could have played out even if it did have a B2B, if you simply used more electricity than your battery had available and ran it so low that the B2B disabled itself.

However, if you don't already have a B2B, you clearly need one!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It will only be a smart alternator if the engine is Euro 6D your certificate of Conformity should have the info.
Normally if the engine has a smart alternator the converter will fit a B2B charger to overcome the problem.

If you have taken your leisure battery down to 5v it will be :swear2: and you need a new one.
On a standard set up a flat battery will need 200-300 miles driving to recharge it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
It will only be a smart alternator if the engine is Euro 6D your certificate of Conformity should have the info.
Normally if the engine has a smart alternator the converter will fit a B2B charger to overcome the problem.

If you have taken your leisure battery down to 5v it will be :swear2: and you need a new one.
On a standard set up a flat battery will need 200-300 miles driving to recharge it.
I know Fiat were disabling smart alternators for motorhomes until Euro6D but Mercedes were not. Although Peugeot are basically similar to Fiat there are differences and perhaps they left them working?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Many B2B systems won’t try to charge a faulty battery

To a simple B2B 5VDC must be faulty

Everything has done its job

The OP used too much, look at adding a battery, or upgrading to Lithium is the original battery tests faulty

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
It will only be a smart alternator if the engine is Euro 6D
Lenny HB. I thought they started fitting smart altenators as early as Euro 5.
Or am I confusing smart altenators with something else????

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Lenny HB. I thought they started fitting smart altenators as early as Euro 5.
Or am I confusing smart altenators with something else????

They've been around since then. However, until Euro 6D, not all motorhomes had them, or had their smart features disabled so converters could save the cost of a B2B charger.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I think it’s great that Motorhome converters are finally being forced to fit decent charging systems, as opposed to relying on their customers ignorance on just how crap most ‘split chargers’ really are

Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New to motorhomes, had a camper van before this.
We have a 2020 Elddis 115, and it came fitted with the Schaudt B2B - it's a blue box about 6inx4in, if you can find that, you've already got a B2B. Ours is under the nearside couch - not sure where it would be on the bigger Autoquests.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I think it’s great that Motorhome converters are finally being forced to fit decent charging systems, as opposed to relying on their customers ignorance on just how crap most ‘split chargers’ really are
But that's going to do you out of a job sorting out the inadequacies, that unsuspecting people like me bring to you ;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But that's going to do you out of a job sorting out the inadequacies, that unsuspecting people like me bring to you ;)
Believe it or not we would prefer the industry to do it correctly in the first place

To this day the vast majority of people think that the alternator charges the engine battery and then, when charged concentrates on the leisure battery and that this is somehow efficient. As opposed to a crap relay (in a fancy box or not) and a bit of wire about the thickness of a boot lace !

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
To fool the alternator just put you lights on. Smart alternators shut down when the cab battery is at about 80% so any decent load on the battery will keep it on.

OP
OP
Aros More

Aros More

Free Member
Nov 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
I read Beryl’s post and had a check. I do indeed have a B to B charger (see pic) Looks like eddievanbitz may be correct and the extreme low voltage led the charger to believe the battery was damaged.
36082383-3FD2-43A4-BEEE-14338276931D.png
I’ll monitor the battery and if it needs replaced will consider Lithium for reduced weight and increased capacity.
Many thanks for the replies.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
To fool the alternator just put you lights on. Smart alternators shut down when the cab battery is at about 80% so any decent load on the battery will keep it on.
Am in right in thinking this 80% capacity limit on the battery is only applicable if you have systems like regenerative braking running in conjunction with smart alternators..
That is not always the case as smart alternators can be fitted and still beneficial without the other these other systems..
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The only problem is that the British manufacturers will still wire it up with totally unsuitable undersized wiring.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Am in right in thinking this 80% capacity limit on the battery is only applicable if you have systems like regenerative braking running in conjunction with smart alternators..
That is not always the case as smart alternators can be fitted and still beneficial without the other these other systems..
Andy
The smart alternator regeneration would still need some battery space. As I understand it the alternator load is reduced when the power is needed for driving. However when slowing down or braking the alternator load is increased to produce more current and adds to the braking effect.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back