Engine bay loose cable and plugs WARNING (1 Viewer)

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
Getting poor radio reception has made me purchase a aerial to wing mount on my new shape Ducato
Checking the engine bay to see how to route the cable, i was surprised to find 2 loose cables with plugs hanging dangerously.
one was near the front radiator fan and the other over the alternator pulley!
Both also neither had any Blanking plug to stop water ingress into the cables.
i used to work for a large automotive manufactures and blanking plugged were fitted on unused plugs
The cable over the alternator could have been dragged into the pulley causing a large repair bill
i also found 5 various cable clips holding pipework etc undone!
My van is only 2 year old and recently had a new windscreen fitted and has also been in for the numerous fiat x250 recalls.
next week if i can find time i will take my van down to the local fiat truck / van dealers and ask there opinion.
Can other members with x250 based check there vans to see if they have loose cables:Sad:

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Mine's a 51 plate ducato, and there were loose wires and lucar connectors all over the place (from new). It was only recently when I started doing "work" to it after i had finished paying for it, that I noticed most of them. They don't all seem to be connected to power though. I was going to use 1 of them for spot/fog lights but couldn't find the other end!! The Lucar connectors are a bit iffy, the worst one was the control feed to the habitation 12v supply relay, it was intermittent, causing the interior lights to flash on and off whilst driving. :ROFLMAO: That was fun to track down. Another problem was the fridge. 12v supply wire insulation was cut and the wire corroded through. That was in the centre of a loom behind a chassis rail. It always pays to check everything yourself, because at the end of the day, its only you who is going to have the grief!
ATB

DaveT :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back