Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Hi
i went to start the van tonight and had a flat battery ? This is the second time in the last couple of months, i have taken the battery of and im charging it up ,can anyone tell me should i have a reading on a meter if i have the van is hooked up to the electric and the switch inside is on the engine battery ?i would have thought i would get a reading from the inhouse battery charger ,
thanks chris.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I agree with your logic, I have flattened my cab battery too often, but as mine is now nearly 7 years old I am considering changing due to age. I leave mine hooked up all the time, my problem is different to yours in that I flatten mine quickly under load of charge. As you keep yours on charge this really should not apply, possibly suggesting a charger issue, which in turn will cause the battery to fail.

Sorry not too much use, but I will follow thread to see if battery age is likely issue (y)

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have the van is hooked up to the electric and the switch inside is on the engine battery
Thats fine.....As long as the switch is actually wired to the engine battery, it may not be ....which is what it looks like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Without hook up check the battery voltage, if you have a tester, then put on hook up and check again, it should be higher showing it's charging. If it's not higher then it's not charging.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
My built in charger does not charge my Vehicle battery either.
If it is outside catching some rays to my solar panel I have a cable (6mm sq) from my habitation batteries direct to my vehicle battery. Very simple and very cheap and works brilliant, frowned upon by many who prefer an expensive alternative.
Or when on hookup and particularly when she is tucked up in her shed "resting" I have a Lidl "£9 special" battery charger connected to one of the 240v socket direct onto my Vehicle battery. I actually leave it hard wired on.

There are all sorts of mini drains sucking the life out of your batteries when your back is turned
We are assuming your flatness is experienced while the van is laid up :)

PS I use the Lidl charger as it is a good piece of kit whereas all chargers on all vans are pretty crap

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi. Have you checked to see if your charger is switchable between starter/leisure battery. If not do as Moodybrook states run a link positive cable with a 15 /20 amp fuse between starter and leisure batteries. This works well. I have used this system on both my vans in the last 10 years with not one flat battery. Even better if you have a 120 watt solar panel and separate charger unit not even flat batteries over winter in UK with no hook up.

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

Daisie

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Selston , Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 vans in 40yrs
Hubby disconnects the engine battery when we are not using the MH for some weeks as he found out the alarm/isolater switch uses it. And only takes two ticks to reconnect.
ps. when on hookup it only charges the leisure battery on our MH , never known hookup to charge engine battery on any of our 7 vans.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
When solar panel was fitted with a battery master, my vehicle flat battery problem disappeared. Before the solar panel, I always thought that leaving it on hookup would charge the vehicle battery; I was wrong. Why do MH manufacturers not make dual battery charging a standard feature?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
all chargers on all vans are pretty crap

That's a bit of a sweeping statement.. and totally incorrect.. how do you come to that conclusion.. ?

obviously I don't don't know about yours,and 'some' budget vans may have crap chargers.. but many, including my Hymer have a multi-stage charger..

Off EHU, solar panel and battery master will keep both house and engine battery in good shape.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Nothing wrong with our CBE 16 amp mains charger either! Batteries 7 years old with full capacity, left on EHU at home!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Both my old Geist (2008) and my new Frankia (2015) charge both the bank of four Hab batteries and the Engine Start battery on hook up.

Off UHU the same applies via the electrobloc or Schaudt. Whilst it does exactly the same, I believe it delivers to the more used or needy first.

I'm pleased your Lidl charger works well, but but is one of those items I would specify a well known brand like my smoke and CO2 detector or my hydraulic jack.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My 2008 Adria's Schaudt Electrobloc charges both habitation and starter batteries when on EHU and when using solar panels. And I am able to check the condition of both sets of batteries on the control panel.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Regarding charging engine battery while on hook up. Forgot to say that most UK builders do not use the Electrobloc charging system but this is standard fitting on German vans. Far better

steve & ann. ------------- teensvan

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Our PVC charges either battery while on hook up, and without hook up the solar keeps the leisure battery topped up and the battery master takes charge from that to keep the engine battery topped up - sounds faultless, and has been up to now (y)

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
this may help very easy to fit and forget.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
xjrchris

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Ok i charged the battery up last night of the van and checked it this morning ,its was reading 12.99amps i left it of the van and checked it when i got home from work and its now reading 12.87 ? Is this normal or is it time i bought a new one ? If i buy a new one wheres the best place to get if from ? Thanks chris

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi Chris. You sorted out yet? I assume you are talking about vehicle battery problems. I don't think my onboard habitation charger charges the motor battery. You don't say how old your battery is. I had similar issues and ended up replacing the vehicle battery. You can get it checked at any good garage and ask for discount..may not get one but worth a try. :smiley:

OP
OP
xjrchris

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Cheers pete
i charged it up and put it back on , i will keep my eye on it over the week end and if it drops again i will replace it next week before our germany trip, looking forward to meeting you next friday,
chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back