Energy and PowerPlugs (1 Viewer)

KlaussMarcellus

Free Member
Jun 9, 2018
Funster No
How could I recharge my eletronics on a Motorhome?
Sorry if this might look like a dumb question but I'm totally new to this topic.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
How could I recharge my eletronics on a Motorhome?
Sorry if this might look like a dumb question but I'm totally new to this topic.
What do you mean by electronics? You can get adaptors for ciggy lighters that turns 12V into USB, so you can use them for any USB powered items such as phones and tablets. With laptops you can 12V adaptors for most common laptops on Amazon.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! If you are handy with DIY stuff you can fit USB sockets. Something like this:

For laptops you should be able to find a 12 volt charger with a cigar lighter type plug. You will also need a cigar lighter socket powered by the habitation batteries of course, sockets in the cab generally only work with the ignition turned on.

For ebike charger you will probably have to fit a pure sine wave inverter of a suitable size.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Welcome! If you are handy with DIY stuff you can fit USB sockets. Something like this:

I have in the past fitted the USB-type sockets powered from the leisure battery (via a fuse, of course). However I don't use them as much now, because I've found they are out of date and under-powered compared with 'adaptive chargers'. For a similar reason, I haven't fitted mains sockets with built-in USB sockets in the house.

Modern electronics like Android phones use adaptive charging, utilising the data wires in the USB cable to identify the phone model, and boost the voltage to 9 or even 12 volts if it recognises it. Typically this allows it to 'boost charge' up to 80% in 30 minutes, then drop back to 5 volts to finalise the top-up. This process goes by various names, including 'QuickCharge 2.0 or 3.0'.

If a standard 'dumb' device is connected, it will still be charged as usual at 5 volts, at 0.5, 1.0, 2.1 or 2.4 amps, whatever the device demands. Some devices, like the satnav or the aviation-grade bluetooth GPS receiver, only require standard USB, so it depends on what electronice you have or will get in the future.

I haven't seen any built-in USB sockets that will do adaptive charging, so I have fitted several extra cigarette lighter sockets, wired to the leisure battery. I bought USB adapters to fit,which have adaptive charging. This is like the one I use, but no doubt there are better cheaper ones available now.

Amazon product ASIN B01A4ZGLZ8
For the laptop, I have a standard laptop supply, 12 volt cigarette lighter plug, giving 19 volts to the laptop. It is permanently plugged in to one of the many cig lighter sockets.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back