Ended up Building a Few Vans :) (videos) (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Not sure if this thread will be of interest to anyone - thought I'd post just in case :)

A few months ago another self-builder asked for a bit of help with their electrics. I helped and this turned into "can you build the rest of it". It's something I'd not done for money before, but I had the time so thought why not :D

The van is a brand new Peugeot Boxer L3H2 with a high standard of parts to fit. The guy wanted the furniture built from a high quality plywood to be coloured by hand, rather than the usual furniture board. Have to say I'm loving the look of it so far.

I have the van on the drive and there's no hurry to finish the build as the guy is the First Officer on a private yacht and not back in the UK until September. Means I can take my time and get it as good as I can.

Here's the first video:

And one of doing the underslung tanks:

And a further update:

I'll update this thread as I get further with the build.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Then, after posting the first few videos on YouTube, I was contacted by another self builder. Again "can you build mine" :D

I was really enjoying doing the first van, so again thought why not.

This time I have a unit to work in and a nice layout to work with. Here's the first video:

Think he's pleased with the standard as this week I'm fitting another for him. This time his own van (the first one he is selling). Again I'll update this thread for anyone interested.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Great videos ,are the water tanks insulated thanks (y)

The tanks are not insulated. But they are very good - I have the same on my own van (van owner chose them before we met though).

They are custom built by Barratt Tanks (tank.me from memory) so all the points of entry/exit can be specified. I believe he makes the tanks for IH, among others (he did when I bought mine 6 years ago).

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks Terry :)

Maybe with practise I'll get as good as you (y)
(and hope your well)
You're better than me on wiring :D2
All good thanks - moving house so quite busy with that - no time for a van yet.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Like the look of the electric bed there don't seem to be many on PVC's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Excellent, really neat and a great build. Can you post a list of where you got your materials from? The furniture board, the aluminium corners, the tambour doors. Looked into the electric beds didn't get far their expensive.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Excellent, really neat and a great build. Can you post a list of where you got your materials from? The furniture board, the aluminium corners, the tambour doors. Looked into the electric beds didn't get far their expensive.

All the parts were already bought by the van owner - but I know where most stuff came from.

Furniture board - Morlands https://www.morlanduk.com/lightweight-furniture-ply
Not bad stuff to use IMO. Ranges from about £80-£150 per sheet. Cuts well. Personally I still prefer a lightweight Poplar plywood from Latham Timber and finishing by hand (around £35 per sheet). The furniture board is certainly quicker though.

The aluminium corners were from Grass Routes https://www.grassroutesleisure.co.uk/243mm-radius-aluminium-corner-profile/p1033
Really like using these. Used the black ones from Magnums in another van (think they are the same product) and like them so much I'm going to use them in my own van soon.

The tambours are from Tambourline http://www.tambourline.com/
They supply kits to make individual doors and bespoke doors for bathrooms etc. Very good quality and a nice company to deal with IMO.

Not sure where the knock in edging came from (guess Grass Routes again), but it was nice to work with and seemed the same as the Magnums stuff (really good).

Electric bed wise, the only company I've seen than make these is Happijac (don't think easily available in UK). The one on this van was designed by the van owner. Works great :)
(not cheap to build though)

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thanks for the comprehensive reply, I'm grateful. I saw that Happijac and if my memory serves me it was over $2000 and that's before delivery and our custom guys. Nice to dream though.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
When you say finish by hand for the furniture board, are you talking gloss paint?

Not paint in my case - I like stain's, lye's and clear coats :)

This one is plain Poplar Plywood with Woca Grey Lye. It then has a glossy clear coat, although personally I prefer a satin or matt:

IMG_20190430_140927.jpg

The picture doesn't do it justice tbh. The guy who I'm building this van for did the finish himself and as he's used to doing similar on a huge private yacht, the finish is very impressive :D

It got me thinking though, so I've been experimenting with different finishes the last few months with some lovely results (y)

Littleoldman

Free Member
May 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
That's really good, and I really like the price! I can get lightweight ply from a local supplier at about £35. when you might use 6 or 7 sheets in a van that's £245. If you use the laminate finished it's just over £1000 it's a big difference. I know you have to add the cost of the finish but there's a big margin, and the image shows it looks just as good. Especially if you can diy it. Thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back