End of wilding at Loch Lomond national park ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Whilst not specifically aimed at motorhomes, sadly this proposed ban may have the effect of preventing staying in the national park area except on camp sites.
When you see the mess left it's not hard to see why...

13 January 2015.

Hillwalking and mountaineering groups have joined together to hit out at a planned camping ban in parts of a Scottish national park.
A consultation into measures aimed at combating vandalism and anti-social behaviour in the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park closed on Monday.

Read more

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Another case of a few thoughtless motor homers spoiling it for the rest of us. :mad:

The pictures make it look like an invasion of neds rather than Motorhomers - discarded pop up tents, a Stella box and the clincher - a burned out car.

Appalling.

Dave

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Another case of a few thoughtless motor homers spoiling it for the rest of us. :mad:

Having read much of the info before this I think you will find that the majority of the camping /drinking parties that cause much of the problem is students although there have been complaints at motor homers emptying cassettes into the Loch. It baffles me why people want to desecrate the countryside in this way. What happened to the old rules of 'leave nothing behind you except footprints and take nothing away apart from memories.'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
It's a shame when they Legislate for the lowest common denominator - rather than using a bit of common!!!... A sign of the times... along with the rest of todays stupid "rules" .....

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Once upon a time of you saw people doing this you would remonstrate with them and have back-up. Not now as you would probably get a mouth full of bad language at best.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Once upon a time of you saw people doing this you would remonstrate with them and have back-up. Not now as you would probably get a mouth full of bad language at best.
I would have pressed the 'like' button but that seems wrong.... I agree with you entirely (and you'd risk being on the sharp end of a blade too) :(

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I thought they had clamped down a couple of years ago. How far have they got with the 5Lochs Plan
which had the aim of reducing anti social behaviour and providing more controlled areas for camping including overnight facilites for motorhomes?
Ezee

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
A sweeping assumption that damage is being caused by motor homers........ what is your source? The article highlighted by the OP does not lay the blame on any specific group..... why do you assume MH users are solely responsible?

Bryan

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
In all the times we have travelled to aires, campsites, or wild camping I have only seen bad behaviour once. This was a French family on an aire who dumped their waste into a drain much to the disgust of everybody.
Why do the scumbag few have to give us all a bad reputation ?
Phil

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
A very sensible and relevant reply to the proposed changes to by-laws can be read here.
Not everyone has the same view of motor-homers and this article is more on the support side than draconian legislation aimed at us.

Further info on the 5 Lochs plan.
News and updates of improvements in the 5 Lochs area of Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
A sweeping assumption that damage is being caused by motor homers........ what is your source? The article highlighted by the OP does not lay the blame on any specific group..... why do you assume MH users are solely responsible?

Bryan
Bryan, don't be so defensive, I wrote my reply while jet lagged after travling half way round the world and stupidly didn't read the report just answered after seeing the bit about banning motorhome etc but what I do assume is a shared responsibility, In that we should, if possible, encourage others not to litter and report those that do.
Love and peace to you Bryan. :)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We were wilding all along the west coast of Scotland for over a month last year during June and July. At many of the spots we stopped at there sadly was a lot of mess left I believe by those staying under canvas. The remains of camp fires, debris such as beer cans and bags of rubbish scattered about. When we could we had a bit of a clear up, it made us feel better to leave a spot tidier than when we arrived!

thebay

Free Member
Mar 22, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Autotrail apache 700 se
Exp
Having been wild camping in our motorhome for a few years I just can not understand why when people like us clean up every where we go We even go around cleaning others mess up so as not to be stopped

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Having been wild camping in our motorhome for a few years I just can not understand why when people like us clean up every where we go We even go around cleaning others mess up so as not to be stopped

yes indeed... but I guess because not every motorhomer is as thoughtful..
the forums have plenty of stories of motorhomers dumping cassette toilets and or grey waste inappropriately.. only takes one to give all a bad name.

welcome to the forum.. :welc:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ive just got home from Loch Lomond today after been wilding for the weekend, and like "the bay " says we clean when we are there and the place is much cleaner than when we arrived.
The biggest culprits are the youngsters camping on the beach. I know this from seeing it and not hearsay.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
the forums have plenty of stories of motorhomers dumping cassette toilets and or grey waste inappropriately.. only takes one to give all a bad name.
The biggest culprits are the youngsters camping on the beach. I know this from seeing it and not hearsay.
The problem is both are true and councils do not have the resources to police places as much as necessary. The result is that they, perfectly understandably, take steps to minimise the cost to those who are in neither group.

westfalia

Free Member
Apr 7, 2015
south ayrshire
Funster No
MH
vw westfalia
Exp
we go to loch lomond alot and always see a heavy police presence around balloch but always take care for the louts in balloch park alot of the problems are the travelling community parked up in the laybys next to loch leaving rubbish

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I certainly don't want to tar all people that hire Motorhomes with the same brush, but having seen endless hire vans during the last 4 years on site and around Mull we tend to get issues arising from them.
Hand overs from the hire company's are either poor or the fact a lot are family's with kids running around at the handover that a lot of information given to them is not taken on. We all know how long it takes to learn and find out everything in a new van works, endless outings not here's the keys go and have fun. We regularly have to point them into the right direction regarding all sorts of motorhomeing ways. Some estates on the island do now move wild campers on because of the mess that has/is being left around and lack of respect.
Having driven the Loch Lomond road many times I do believe the main culprits are as said the buy a cheap tent and have a good night then leave it lot. but there are allways plenty of vans along there with mess around them as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back