end of sorn (1 Viewer)

cookingfat

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
Exp
brand new
I sorned George (our motorhome) at the begining of November. I want to put him back on the road for the 1st of April. The question is how early can I buy the tax disc which will start from April 2011.

Mot and insurance are both up to the 2nd of May2011.

Regards

Geoff

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The form has a start date box on there if you wish the tax to start later. Put the date in there - but wont be valid unitl that time!

Make sure you draw the tellers' attention to it! You can also purchase online/by sending to DVLA and they will send it in time for the start date, but not before.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
On a recent reminder form it said the earliest you could apply is the 15th of the month prior so I would guess from the 15th of March but as already said it would not be valid until 1st April - I wonder what would happen if you passed a ANPR camera before the 1st April - it may trigger as untaxed as the online info should show it as untaxed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
In 2009 I sorn my motorhome in October and had a road tax refund.
In Feb 2010 I tried to tax it online for 1st. March but was told disc would be valid from 1st Feb. That way I would lose a month!!!!!!!!!!! No way, I phoned DVLA and they advised me that I would have to tax on line on 1st. March to avoid problem. As I had booked an early appointment at a service centre for 8.30 that morning I was not happy with thr thought of not "displaying" a current disc. The only other option was to go to a PO and apply for a tax disc, but only 2 days before it was effective,not 15 days, as the vehicle was declared sorn. I had to apply using a standard form as I had had no reminder.
This year I just let the tax continue and so at least could continue to run the m/h a few miles each month to keep all the oily bits lubricated.

Robert

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
When a vehicle has been sorned you have to tax it at a local post office or tax office and it cannot be done untill the 1st day of the month you want it to run from, have done it in the past.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Further to Chatter's comment, I believe the ability to tax a vehicle on-line 15 days in advance only applies to renewal of road fund licence where a break doesn't occur. I.e. not sorned or a brand new vehicle.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Or a DVLA camera van

On a recent reminder form it said the earliest you could apply is the 15th of the month prior so I would guess from the 15th of March but as already said it would not be valid until 1st April - I wonder what would happen if you passed a ANPR camera before the 1st April - it may trigger as untaxed as the online info should show it as untaxed

There was a DVLA Camera van on the main A 21 this week checking road tax via the ANPR system... Just looking for vehicles that are on SWORN but on the road.

We have been road taxing our vehicles for sometime on line. Works well .. Last year we put the Winnebago on SWORN for a month and then re taxed it on line.. No problems.

Try it

Bob:thumb:

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Surely its easy enough to nip down to your local licensing office on the first of the month, or even second or third if you dont need the tax on the first day. Thats my plan, anyway. I was going to tax the van first of march, but as weve got 'plans' early on (that dont include using the van), and we are abroad the third week, im not taxing it for the last week, So first April, it is.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There was a DVLA Camera van on the main A 21 this week checking road tax via the ANPR system.
Bob:thumb:

Have you seen the growth of cameras on Mway bridges. I wonder if some of these are ANPR for roadfund or is it The Spooks in action ?

On line works a treat as you say with just the tiny niggle that they provide a system that deprives you of a few days use unless you ignore the possibility of being done for not displaying - unless you are allowed to use a vehicle until it arrives in the post. Small point but if they introduce a system they should do it properly, maybe with a printed off temporary disk or notice.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I sorned George (our motorhome) at the begining of November. I want to put him back on the road for the 1st of April. The question is how early can I buy the tax disc which will start from April 2011.

Mot and insurance are both up to the 2nd of May2011.

Regards

Geoff

Our MH is called George too. ::bigsmile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Have you seen the growth of cameras on Mway bridges. I wonder if some of these are ANPR for roadfund or is it The Spooks in action ?

On line works a treat as you say with just the tiny niggle that they provide a system that deprives you of a few days use unless you ignore the possibility of being done for not displaying - unless you are allowed to use a vehicle until it arrives in the post. Small point but if they introduce a system they should do it properly, maybe with a printed off temporary disk or notice.

From the DVLA web site

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

While this may not fully answer your question Brian they must have thought about it.

OP
OP
C

cookingfat

Free Member
Apr 25, 2010
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
Exp
brand new
Many thanks to all for the advice. I will just get George taxed on the 1st of April.

In reply to STEELYSTEPH, nice to know there is at least another George out there.

Good reliable name.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back