End Of An Era. I'm Giving Me Camper Away (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Bugger, this is the end of an era. When me mum died, she left me just enough to create the Luxury Motor Home. I did over 100 trackdays in it. Dozens of weekends in UK. Six France holidays and three 7 week trips over here. About 400 nights in it.
And it's been great for moving big stuff when needed

It was built for trackdays and was the perfect vehicle. I was an instructor and needed to be there early.
Saved me loads of dosh getting B&Bs etc and I could settle at circuit night before and have a few beers and BBQ, and have a lie in the next day.
And on the cold days, I'd have a nice warm van to hide in. And the usual dinner time nap <Broken link removed>

After 6 years dragging the bike behind a Mondeo, it was now such a pleasure.

But we can't keep it here, and I can't legally drive it now that I'm a Spanish resident

So we're taking it on this weekend's ferry to the UK and I'm gonna give it to my brother. He's moving to France next year and is planning a 3 month tour of the south, next Spring looking at areas and houses. The LMH will be the ultimate vehicle for this trip

And when he buys somewhere, he'll have the van in France, so we can fly over and 'borrow' it for out annual 3 week Europe trip. <Broken link removed>

It costs us about 2 grand to take it each year to UK for MOT. He can do all that now for us <Broken link removed>

Me mum would be so happy to see us both enjoying the money she left us <Broken link removed>

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
And over here, we'd often go to other spots and camp on a beach overnight

And we went over to Fuertaventura 3 times, wild camping on beautiful beaches

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Good luck with your next chapter(y)
Brian & Jo

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Probably a silly question but how do you get the bike out backwards without mishap ... ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And over here, we'd often go to other spots and camp on a beach overnight

And we went over to Fuertaventura 3 times, wild camping on beautiful beaches
So how are you gonna do this there now? Are you getting another or ... a tent?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
And when he buys somewhere, he'll have the van in France, so we can fly over and 'borrow' it for out annual 3 week Europe trip.
& when he is settled he'll be able to re register it there as they will replate rhd commercial so no problem with a motorhome(y)

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We're on the ferry and until am hour ago, we were both feeling rough as hell. Sea sickness. This is my 10th trip on this ferry and not a hint of problems before.

Because I'm now a resident I get 75% discount so got a lovely cabin this time. Shame we weren't enjoying it.<Broken link removed>

But now the boat rocking has stopped and we're on top deck with cold beer in the sunshine :)

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
@Yorick
Sorry for the nosy question and please don't answer if you don't want to but why can't you use it now that your a Spanish resident. Is it to with the conversion?

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
@Yorick
Sorry for the nosy question and please don't answer if you don't want to but why can't you use it now that your a Spanish resident. Is it to with the conversion?
I'm not sure, but it's the law with any UK vehicle. It's the same in UK, in reverse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Well, it's gone, but not forever. I was a bit sad to see it go, but me little Bro loved it and he is a builder so will be able to sort out a few little problems it has <Broken link removed>

But he came out with some bad news. He said he wasn't moving to France. I was looking forward to that as it would save us buying a holiday home there <Broken link removed>

Aha, but there was good news. He's moving to southern Spain, Sierra Nevada. He loves mountains. It took my brain about 2 seconds to work out how far he will be from Cartagena and Almeria <Broken link removed>. So I can take the bike over on the ferry and borrow the van to spend a few days at the tracks, whizzing round.

Woo hooo !!!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@Yorick

A national or a permanent foreign resident of an EU country , when at home, can only drive a vehicle that is registered in that country.
when they are abroad they can drive anything registered anywhere as long as they have a legal entitlement.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Good luck with sale ,is on my watch list cracking ,useful conversion the type I'm thinking of downsizing too if I sell the Hymer .
Did a conversion on the older version Jumbo (smiley front 2.5di) back end used as workshop .
No space ,or enthusiasm to do one from scratch now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back