Encore 275 alarm (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2018
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Corinium
Exp
Since August 2018
Hope someone can help me with the alarm on aa Encore 275 (great Van) 2016.

The alarm keeps going off, noticed it stopped after playing with the Hab door, investigated a bit more and noticed the resistor in the Alarm sensor is broken.

Does anyone know its size/strength and where i can get one.

Many thanks.....hope the photos work band are upright

EE05FFC0-5CA2-4719-B428-3CCBCABE1C36.jpeg
EE05FFC0-5CA2-4719-B428-3CCBCABE1C36.jpeg
34FBFD89-E04F-4567-8BD7-5F60374DDCC2.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That is a read switch, when fitting hold the wire firmly with fine point pliers when bending as the glass enclosure breaks easily.

Check which type you need, normally open "NO" or Normally closed "NC".

I replaced one of mine recently with one of these, mine were NO.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
It’s a common reed switch, you can buy these from Amazon, its a Nil voltage one normally open, when the door is shut the magnet pulls it to the closed position.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If it's a Autowatch RLC 695 alarm you have then a normal door contact will not work as the Autowatch uses a normal open contact where as a house alarm contact is normally closed.
My alarm is an Autowatch and yes the switches are NO.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Not too sure about that, as I understand it the alarm relies on a closed circuit to check all is ok, if the circuit is broken i.e. a door is opened and the switch goes open circuit the alarm will trip. As in the switch is normally open putting the magnet in close proximity pulls the switch closed. So no magnet open, presence of magnet closed. It may be my description of open or closed. I look at it as if the magnet is not there the switch would be open, if the magnet is there the switch would be closed.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Not too sure about that, as I understand it the alarm relies on a closed circuit to check all is ok, if the circuit is broken i.e. a door is opened and the switch goes open circuit the alarm will trip. As in the switch is normally open putting the magnet in close proximity pulls the switch closed. So no magnet open, presence of magnet closed. It may be my description of open or closed. I look at it as if the magnet is not there the switch would be open, if the magnet is there the switch would be closed.

Not the case with the Autowatch RLC 695. The reed switch for the Autowatch RLC 695 is in a closed state without the magnet and goes to an open state when the magnet is introduced.
The hab door circuit certainly on mine and other on the forum with the same Autowatch alarm operates like the cab door switch and the bonnet switch in that the alarm looks for a open circuit state and if it goes closed circuit the this triggers the alarm.

Here is a section of the wiring diagram for the Autowatch.
Remember that it as a automotive alarm not based on a house alarm which normally use closed circuit at rest and go open circuit if the magnet is remove.
I was a CCTV and intruder alarm engineer for 12 years, so I have a fair understanding of alarm systems. (y)

1615803140114.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not the case with the Autowatch RLC 695. The reed switch for the Autowatch RLC 695 is in a closed state without the magnet and goes to an open state when the magnet is introduced.
You have just contradicted yourself, in post #5 you said it uses a NO reed switch.
My 458RL uses NO reed switches, I gave a link in post #2 to the ones I used as replacements.

Terminology use on alarm switches can be very confusing, I wanted some switches to switch some lights in the cupboards in the van, some manufactures describe a switch as NO another one will describe it as a NC as they refer to its state when next to the magnet. In the end I bought changeover switches.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
This will confuse matters even more. I was correct with NO, and where was I wrong in my last post and post #5 ?
The top set in the image is what the Autowatch uses on our hab door as well as other on the forum that have had trouble with their hab door reed switch.
The bottom set is normally used in house aralms.

1615805135776.png

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You have just contradicted yourself, in post #5 you said it uses a NO reed switch.
My 458RL uses NO reed switches, I gave a link in post #2 to the ones I used as replacements.

Terminology use on alarm switches can be very confusing, I wanted some switches to switch some lights in the cupboards in the van, some manufactures describe a switch as NO another one will describe it as a NC as they refer to its state when next to the magnet. In the end I bought changeover switches.
Well to further complicate the issue we use a combination of Normally Open and Normally Closed circuits and contacts in our Strikeback and Growler installations ;) (y)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It's quite easy to sort out the NC/NO question. If you short out the reed switch with a wire link, does the alarm set OK, as if the door was closed? If yes, then it's an NO type, ie closes when you put a magnet next to it. If no then it's an NC type, ie opens when you put a magnet close to it.

The reed switch might still function even though the glass is broken. The glass is to protect it from contamination and ensure the full current/voltage rating, but the movement of the contacts by the magnet doesn't depend on the glass envelope.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RIL7979
Aug 17, 2018
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Corinium
Exp
Since August 2018
Well thanks for all the replies, ordered the first suggestion from EBay, thank goodness there are 5 in the packet as I broke the first 2.

Took the opportunity to re-route the cable throu the fly screen and so far the alarm has not gone off.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Well thanks for all the replies, ordered the first suggestion from EBay, thank goodness there are 5 in the packet as I broke the first 2.

Took the opportunity to re-route the cable throu the fly screen and so far the alarm has not gone off.
Best to activate the alarm by opening the door,just to make sure it does work. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back