Free Member
Mar 7, 2017
Languedoc, France
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion B class
Exp
Since 1973
I've reached page 5 in the forum without finding any reference to this. I know there are lots of enclosures available, but we have a converted van with limited space and two determined, active small terriers. Does anyone know of a strong but lightweight and non-bulky enclosure that would accommodate both them and us? Probably not possible.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
For travel or on a site ?
Edit : why would you want to share with the dogs or have I misunderstood what you looking for ?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Page five ..... hmm sounds interesting...:cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.

If you use the search box at the top of the page on the right-hand side and type in "dog enclosure" or "dog cage" then you should get plenty of info.

Sheldon C

Free Member
Mar 30, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Euromobil 695EB Profila
Exp
Since 1995
limited space and two determined, active small terriers. Does anyone know of a strong enclosure that would accommodate both them and us? Probably not possible.

Two determined terriers means you are beaten before you begin, for my JR I don't even think Billy Smarts circus could have designed an enclosure to keep her in, good luck with your search.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The very best windbreaks and the very best dog enclosures are made by a family company in the Forest of Dean. Jormax seriously IMO nothing compares to this quality kit. No guy lines to trip over and it will still be the last break standing after a gale. (y) https://www.jormaxwindbreaks.co.uk/

pet1-1140x380.jpg

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I use a plastic coated wire line that hooks onto the tow bar. Quick and reliable, just a slight trip hazard if not careful. Probably wouldn't work with two dogs though, just end up tangled.
No idea on enclosure s though but Jim's suggestion looks good.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
and another vote for Jormax and they don't collapse even when our two GSDs put their front feet on the top to have a look round.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Any reason why you wouldn't tether them rather than enclose ? we just hook ours to carabinas that are permanently fixed around the van. Our small terrier named digger would do his name proud and escape any enclosure and the larger terrier could jump anything up to 1.5m. For us it's on a long tethered line or we end up staying in that spot longer than we had planned.....

OP
OP
Susan W

Susan W

Free Member
Mar 7, 2017
Languedoc, France
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion B class
Exp
Since 1973
Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. First of all, we'd like them in with us because that's where they WANT to be and, of course, we're their slaves. We've been tethering them to a special post that we hammer into the ground (if it's not solid rock...), but they get tangled in spite of the non-tangle post design. The ratter is a jumper and the JR is a digger, though not sure he wouldn't be too lazy to tunnel under a sufficiently solid fence.
I'll look into the Jormax fencing, though I suspect it would take up a LOT of room. We also carry a Decathlon tent, but wouldn't put up either one if we weren't staying somewhere for at least 4 days - and we do like to move on fairly often. I suspect we're going to have to continue tethering them...
To Sheldon C - I thought I could tap on two of the icons, would like to have tapped on the "Funny" one as well. We visited friends in Sweden a couple of years ago; they have a dog and assured us that ours would be secure in their garden. It took only 5 minutes to get the JR back, but 45 to get the ratter, who had shot through the fence and the hedge, out of the garden, across two busy roads and was busily scooting around someone's wooden terrace, under which must have been something alive and very interesting. He managed to continue eluding both of us while barking at whatever was underneath. Then we tethered both in our friends' garden.
To Rob and Val - I didn't see the search tool - thought I'd looked - I'll look again.
I'm still figuring out how the site works, like replying to individual postings...

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for Jormax, fantastic bit of kit, we tend to tether our 2 instead though because otherwise we feel like we're being a bit anti social putting up an enclosure around the van, that said you won't be disappointed if you get one.

OP
OP
Susan W

Susan W

Free Member
Mar 7, 2017
Languedoc, France
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion B class
Exp
Since 1973
Thank you! Have just had a look at their website and the video and am impressed. Now to check on size, weight, bulk, price and shipping to France...

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
occasionally sets of jormax get listed on ebay. in dog showing, second hand sets are like rocking horse poo. they are tried abused and tested and still strong as new

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We put this:

DSC_0168.JPG

In this: (in rural France)

DSC_0161.JPG

Ha! He jumped out of it on the first outing.
Short of amputating the dog's legs it needs to go in a cage or be on a lead.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
You can do just as good with them striped wind breakers you see plenty off for the beach ,you can form an enclosure outside your van without spending a lot of money lol .welcome to motorhome fun and enjoy lol

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I used 2 of these
( paid much less than this one, though) when I travelled in Moho with 2 digs and 2 cats. Lighter weight than metal, fold flat and I could open the ends, bungee the two crates together to create a long, enclosed, "tunnel" for the two cats together. Used when travelling I could put one dog in with one cat because they liked to curl up together.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a Jormax enclosure with the top half in that mesh stuff. Got a gate too. Very very impressive and works well. We also have their draught strip ..
For those asking about why not tether them. We do tether them sometimes but if we're putting the awning up then we stick theor enclosure up too. They tend to tangle themselves (or anyonewho gets close enough) on tethers and are much calmer when able to run free in their enclosure. They are both more than capable of jumping a Jormax but have never shown any inclination to do so.
I know it is possible to form enclosures from windbreaks but the Jormax system is very strong and requires no guy ropes.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I used 2 of these
( paid much less than this one, though) when I travelled in Moho with 2 digs and 2 cats. Lighter weight than metal, fold flat and I could open the ends, bungee the two crates together to create a long, enclosed, "tunnel" for the two cats together. Used when travelling I could put one dog in with one cat because they liked to curl up together.
We have one like this for the back of the car and plan to get a second when we upgrade the van. For now we use metal cage to make a run. Heavy though and gets in the way inside the van.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our boys would be under that, probably tearing it on the way.
If you have dogs that dig.. then it's not for you obviously... but the system is extremely robust and effective. (As are their windbreaks). Our collies are devious but not destructive and there's no way out for them. Why they don't try and jump it I have no idea but it could be that the top half being a mesh deters them. We fit it normaly to one side of the awning so that they can come in if they want.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

I bet they wouldn't.

There's pretty much no movement in it at ground level as long as you put it up properly. My two can't get anything more than the tip of their noses under it. I suppose if yours dig they might get under it but that would be the same with any type of enclosure on soft ground. They definitely won't be ripping it (y)

OP
OP
Susan W

Susan W

Free Member
Mar 7, 2017
Languedoc, France
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion B class
Exp
Since 1973

Has anyone ever had their dog(s) manage to get under a Jormax enclosure? If it's at all possible, ours will be out within seconds. The first time we used the screen door on our Pössl, the JR was under and out as soon as it was closed.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Has anyone ever had their dog(s) manage to get under a Jormax enclosure? If it's at all possible, ours will be out within seconds. The first time we used the screen door on our Pössl, the JR was under and out as soon as it was closed.
The windbreaks and pet enclosures are solid.. the info is here
https://www.jormaxwindbreaks.co.uk
They have alluminium poles with hardened tips to be hammered in. They also can be fitted to decking. The material is some sort of thick pvc and once up the screen is vety taught and you would be unable to lift the base of it with any success.
It's a very good looking and effective system as a windbreak or enclosure. The gates and draught skirts are a similar system and again .. look good and work well.
The type we use is called vision top black

OP
OP
Susan W

Susan W

Free Member
Mar 7, 2017
Languedoc, France
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion B class
Exp
Since 1973
The Jormax enclosures seem to be perfect - except for the price. I'd got to £507 without a gate or accessories or the shipping price when the other half said "STOP!". Nothing on eBay at the moment, but will keep looking. And tethering...

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Can you use a windblocker from Lilypad Leisure as an enclosure? Their FAQ says you can run a pole through the bottom loops, and then perhaps you can secure the poles to the ground somehow to form a rigid bottom edge.

Assuming your pet is not a digger. We have 4 cats, not dogs. They're not diggers, but could probably jump over those Jormax enclosures.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back