Emptying the toilet when ‘Wild’ camping (1 Viewer)

Wully

Free Member
Jan 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B524
Exp
Godot was inspired by the DVLA
I’m off ‘wild’ camping this weekend and will go to our local motorhome park to empty the cassette when I get home. But what are the options when I go for longer and dont have this option?
When I go away for longer I’m planning on having an overnight on a site every once in a while to empty but a site might not be an option in the dead of winter.
So can I use an open public toilet ( in the evening when there are no normal customers around..)
I only will use ‘green’ additives in the MoHo.

What do others do?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you can carefully empty a cassette down a toilet and carry a spare cassette to double up

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Put your cassette into a large zipped holdall first you probably don't want be seen carrying a toilet cassette into a public bog and don't rinse out under taps in hand basins it's just not done in polite society.

Carry a jug in the bag, and use that if you have to, using the clean flush water from the loo, after you have flushed the nasty away, but I would leave it unrinsed, it's actually better.

Other will hear you flushing several times but come out and proudly report "It was so huge I tried several times to flush it down but in the end, I had to cut it up into smaller pieces"
Smile and leave.

(Just make sure they don't think you are disposing of body parts carrying that holdall)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always carry a spare cassette. Do have a shovel but never needed to use it yet. Don't use chemicals so no problem emptying in remote toilets that drain into septic tanks.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Without the use of any chemicals in the cassette it should be OK to find a field full of cows or horses and empty in their field - it's good for the land I'm told.

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
But if you’re quite a distance from public toilets and have an older motorhome with a C2 Thetford cassette with a 20 litre capacity - it can simply be hard work. So a hold-all or simply a large bin bag covering the cassette strapped to one of these with a couple of bungee cords might make a world of difference:

Amazon product ASIN B01IYGNROC
Just close the door in the loo and slowly empty it down the pan, (preferably when no one is using the facilities), as the potential splash back and pong will blow your socks off. ????

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Spend one night on a campsite once every few days and use the facilities or pay a campsite for a service visit, where you can dump your black and grey waste water and top up with fresh water at the same time?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a large black drawstring top duffle bag and also a folding shopping trolley (similar design to the below but a much better quality (car boot £1! :D ) , if the distance to a disposal point (eg public toilet) isn't too far the bag get used, if not the shopping trolley.

You could simply use a large holdall/sports bag so long as it's easy to get the cassette in/out, some come with wheels on, car boot sales or charity shops are your best bet.

1566460092942.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back