norfolkenchants

Free Member
Oct 7, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Please forgive what I am sure is a pretty dumb question but.... We pick up our very first motorhome in just over a week and I am just planning the first stay. My question is this: the site we would like to visit Run Cottage in Suffolk doesn't appear to have a motorhome service point for grey water dumping. I presume we have to attach a hose to the van drain to reach an emptying point. As I am trying to make this first trip as pain free for my hesitant wife - would I be better off choosing a site with an MSP?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just use a bucket (or a waste hog if you want to carry one of those around with you) and empty it down the nearest drain or under a hedge - whatever the site owner prefers. :Smile:

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Your grey water storage tank will have a reasonable capacity to store your waste water for a few days if you're carefull. Some people have a bucket which you can place under the waste water outlet and then empty at the campsite elsan point.
Geoff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just use a bucket (or a waste hog if you want to carry one of those around with you) and empty it down the nearest drain or under a hedge - whatever the site owner prefers. :Smile:

Oh Boy am I going to follow this thread with interest

:helpsos: :beerchug: :fatbuddha: :blonde2: :whistle:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I've never used a MSP yet! I either drain down at home or empty into a container & then down the sites drain point.
:Smile:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I have a Fiamma wheeled waste water container,I just put under the tap on the waste water tank, when required empty into what the site owner is happy with, saves faffing about with pipes and drains, easier for me this way.

Enjoy your trip, it is a big learning curve, first time is the worst if you are not sure of what you are doing, just relax and enjoy the experience.

Happy adventures.:thumb:

Margaret

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If I can't empty on site I just stop at the first convenient road drain and empty it there. It will all end up in the same place

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
If I can't empty on site I just stop at the first convenient road drain and empty it there. It will all end up in the same place

Why stop? just open the tap and drive off- plenty others (NOT ME) do it.:cry::cry:

Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
[HI]Oh Boy am I going to follow this thread with interest
[/HI]

Ditto:cry:
Never have trouble with Grey waste, water always seems to be clear and clean.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Creep out when it's dark and open the drain valve, make sure there's no debris in it to show up in the morning. :winky:

meggie

Free Member
Jan 12, 2009
milford haven
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8y
get a tesco bag put hole in it,put some grass in it put on the valve let drain,clean water.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use a bucket, unless there is a convenient drive over dump.
Please don't follow the advice above about using any old drain as if you put it down a surface water drain it will stink for weeks especially in the summer when there's not much rain to flush it through.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I use a bucket, unless there is a convenient drive over dump.
Please don't follow the advice above about using any old drain as if you put it down a surface water drain it will stink for weeks especially in the summer when there's not much rain to flush it through.

It's storing it in the waste tank that makes it smell. So don't.

:Cool:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I have hard piped my waste tank to a valve and point. No messing with the flex hoses if I can help it. We carry a couple of washing machine flex hoses and a bucket to cover all eventualities.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Please oh please !!!do not do what some have suggested, it gets motor homers a bad name that is why some places have banned them, be a responsible motor homer, some may have been said in jest, if you are a newcomer you will not know this, but some do dump anywhere but the correct place, think it is clever, it is far from it when it affects all of us, it has the stigma like some dog owners who do not pick up after their dog, so please start as you mean to go on, motor-homers are not exactly welcome in this country as it is.:cry:

Margaret

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Outside the Windermere site is a lay-by in the wooded drive, last time we came out there was three neat trails of water coming out of it where vans must have pulled up to open their drains and carried on their way.:Doh:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Why stop? just open the tap and drive off- plenty others (NOT ME) do it.:cry::cry:

Cheers, Dave:thumb:

me neither that's why I've fitted a 90° bend on the end of my grey water pipe so it goes exactly where aimed, down the drain. Thinking of doing the same on my boys when they come away :Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i seriously dislike the whole concept of fouling land, watercourses and roads with grey water containing all manner of detritus. it needs to be stored and disposed of correctly, not into a drain at the side of the road or under the nearest hedge. put it down a proper drain, connected to a sewer system

on one site last year the landowner actually asked me to dump my waste water in his access road, from where it would drain off into a ditch that led to the river. how he got planning permission for a site with no facility to drain grey water is an interesting question especially as it was a conservation area. any grease and soap residue would obviously be an issue for the local environment. needless to say I left that site and found a better place to dump my water

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I'm with Margaret,
we have a hog that every now and again I put under the waste outlet, drain and cart off to the waste point. Its a good one with wheels which I double up as a toilet cassette trolley - dump both the same time and easy to drag along. When we leave the site (nearly EMPTY) I always squirt a little toilet liquid down the plug holes and just a litre or two of water, pop the plugs back in. The mix then swishes around once we are on the move and keeps the tank clean and as fresh as a daisy.
::bigsmile:
I was once in a car behind a coach that thought it was funny to dump his rugby team's loo en-route on the motorway - it was hideous, the car stank for weeks after - if it wasn't for the high alcohol content we may have caught something quite nasty (the car had a great shine to it though).

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Wow how to become public enemy number in a few words. Here are a few facts that people should understand. In a residential area all road drains go into the sewers, can’t see a problem with dumping grey water down them, might help flush out all that fat. Roads run by the highways agency have to go through a SUDS process to remove carbon pollutants, well apart from a few foods bits I don’t think my grey water is quite that bad. Old country roads tend to use soakaways, definitely not a place to use. I would always use a site where available; I use a pipe where there isn’t a drive over. There are times however when you have no choice so the use of a suitable road drain is fine, with the use of common sense and that includes closing the tap so as not to leave a snail trail. :Eeek:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just to give my take on it for the OP.....I have fitted an interior tap release in the cab...

I leave the tank to fill up and then when driving home wait till I get a few motorcyclist behind me and then let it go as I have been told the water helps keep the motorcycle tyres cool and prevents them from overheating. The motorcyclists will Thank you for it. .:thumb::Cool:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Actually being sensible here! - it depends on where your drain point is on the van, as to what you do.

On our old van it was at one side which made emptying into a site drain that wasn't actually a drive-over OK as long as you could get near enough. Obviously a drive-over made it easier. It was also dead easy to stick a bucket under and let some water out and empty that down an appropriate drain, as has already been mentioned. On the new van the outlet is smack in the middle of underneath so it's quite hard to get a bucket under, then that bucket - full - out from underneath again. Especially if you are parked on mud with puddles ........

I expect Pete will be doing something with extra pipework before too long!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For me it depends on where I am ( or am going ).
I have a waste hog AND a 5 gallon black waste water container ( these are very cheap.. Simply lay it on its side and drain the water in to it )

If I am on a site for a long time I try to find somewhere with a serviced pitch. I carry a long lump of black flexible hose which I attach to the drain off pipe and let it run straight in to the the supplied facility

On an awful lot of sites nowadays, with water companies charging a small fortune for water, the site owners will ask you to empty your grey water around the base of trees and the like.. Especially at the summer peaks

Some sites have a motorhome drain down place. Simply drive on to them and open the tap ..
They are usually a large concrete pad with a bit of a dip in the middle that has a trench which is covered by a steel grid

Some sites have nowt but an elsan point to dispose of the grey.. Some sites ask you NOT to use the elsan as the more remote sites are not on mains drains but have a sceptic tank for the black waste which has to be emptied. Filling it with grey water is somewhat frowned upon ..

In other words, to cover all options you should, at the very least, carry a bucket or pucka grey waste container..

Grey water disposal is a minefield for some.. for others.. it is just a matter of using your loaf and being responsible :thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Wow how to become public enemy number in a few words. Here are a few facts that people should understand. In a residential area all road drains go into the sewers, can’t see a problem with dumping grey water down them, might help flush out all that fat. Roads run by the highways agency have to go through a SUDS process to remove carbon pollutants, well apart from a few foods bits I don’t think my grey water is quite that bad. Old country roads tend to use soakaways, definitely not a place to use. I would always use a site where available; I use a pipe where there isn’t a drive over. There are times however when you have no choice so the use of a suitable road drain is fine, with the use of common sense and that includes closing the tap so as not to leave a snail trail. :Eeek:

Not too sure where you get your information from but a lot of this is wrong wrong wrong, most roadside drains go straight to a surface water system, usually the local water course albeit via culverts, they do not go to foul sewers which go the sewage treatment plants

All house built in the last 10 years or more are not allowed to discharge top water, gutters roof drive etc to sewer, it must go to the surface system

Please please please do not follow this advice it is wrong, roadside drains are for clean surface water only, same applies to downpipes on most modern houses, roof water only

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Not too sure where you get your information from but a lot of this is wrong wrong wrong, most roadside drains go straight to a surface water system, usually the local water course albeit via culverts, they do not go to foul sewers which go the sewage treatment plants

All house built in the last 10 years or more are not allowed to discharge top water, gutters roof drive etc to sewer, it must go to the surface system

Please please please do not follow this advice it is wrong, roadside drains are for clean surface water only, same applies to downpipes on most modern houses, roof water only

Spot on. Road drains are for "clean" water only and whatever goes in will find its way eventually into local rivers and streams untreated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back