Emptying Grey Water...... (2 Viewers)

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
.....In the caravan section of Strensham South services yesterday at about 14.30hrs?

Grey PVC moho. Full chat emptying onto the tarmac :eek:

I was just driving through but was tempted to challenge you but didn't (to my shame).

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Awful example to set, but thankfully all service areas collect all surface water in interceptors so no pollution at least

It might also have been his clean water not grey as I found when challenging a neighbour dropping his on the roadside šŸ™„

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Awful example to set, but thankfully all service areas collect all surface water in interceptors so no pollution at least

It might also have been his clean water not grey as I found when challenging a neighbour dropping his on the roadside šŸ™„
It was grey !! But, appreciate your point

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Saw something like this just after Christmas. IVECO Daily conversion (done as a Landrover Camel lookalike) parked up outside someoneā€™s house, presumably visiting family.
Wow, what a brilliant conversion I thought until I noticed the soapy water bubbling out from the side and running over the roadway.

OP
OP
David and Sally
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
In my experience of service areas, dropping a tank of grey onto the tarmac will leave it cleaner than before.

Not something to get cross about IMO. Was the tap broken? Did they forget to close it?
Maybe you don't worry about it but I drive through that area several times a week and I don't want the stink of their body washings or washing up thanks :eek: :whistle:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I got picked up on this at a CL last year. I forgotten that I drained the grey before moving that day and as it was chucking it down with rain, thought to self to shut valve at next stop. I forgot. The tugger next door came and told me I should be carrying it to the hedge where the CL owner had asked it to be put. Quick thank you, apology and explanation from me and valve swiftly shut. šŸ˜Ÿ

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Saw something like this just after Christmas. IVECO Daily conversion (done as a Landrover Camel lookalike) parked up outside someoneā€™s house, presumably visiting family.
Wow, what a brilliant conversion I thought until I noticed the soapy water bubbling out from the side and running over the roadway.
If i park on my drive and empty my grey water into a bucket and take it to my drain by the kitchen and empty it, it goes into the drain that then flows in the drain in the side of the road. What difference would there be if i parked on the road beside the roadside grid and emptied it there?
(Not that i would be wanting it to flow across the carriageway of course.)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If i park on my drive and empty my grey water into a bucket and take it to my drain by the kitchen and empty it, it goes into the drain that then flows in the drain in the side of the road. What difference would there be if i parked on the road beside the roadside grid and emptied it there?
One of the arguments against is that it looks bad to other people. Best not to give them anything to gossip about šŸ˜

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
unlikely your kitchen waste and the road drains are connected ones foul ones rainwater rainwatergoes direct to local water course without treatment

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If i park on my drive and empty my grey water into a bucket and take it to my drain by the kitchen and empty it, it goes into the drain that then flows in the drain in the side of the road.

99% certain you are wrong there

Surface water drains are very rarely connected to foul sewers

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
I got picked up on this at a CL last year. I forgotten that I drained the grey before moving that day and as it was chucking it down with rain, thought to self to shut valve at next stop. I forgot. The tugger next door came and told me I should be carrying it to the hedge where the CL owner had asked it to be put. Quick thank you, apology and explanation from me and valve swiftly shut. šŸ˜Ÿ
Yes Iā€™ve forgotten the grey tap as well. On the aire at Carro we had Frenchman knock on the door to politely tell us our grey waste was open, with a showers worth of water all over the place! Profuse apologies offered and a nice motorhome chat ensued.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
You guys must live in very posh areas. We have no road drainage and no main drainage. We have to supply our own in-house systems. We do however still pay exorbitant council tax.

Geoff

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Years ago when researching building an Earthship.
The Greywater was used for watering the plants in the attached conservatory. Yes there was a sediment trap.
The reasons given, was that the greywater had properties that the plants would take up and clean the outflow.
So in your camper, we do trap our sediment, and iam sure we are all using environmentally friendly products, so what harm does greywater do when discharged into a grass verge?
When we return home I have no problem with discharging our grey water onto a grassy area, and have done many times.
I have not seen any adverse effects in the area I use, and no smell after a very short period of time.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When we first bought the caravan i didn't have a clue, I thought the water was supposed to run out the bottom šŸ˜†šŸ‘ it never smelled but it was only a bit of dishwater šŸ˜Œ

You can tell A lot of people let it just run out in the dry summer months because there are patches of healthy green grass about.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Maybe you don't worry about it but I drive through that area several times a week and I don't want the stink of their body washings or washing up thanks :eek: :whistle:
Yep, agreed. Plus discharging grey waste on any road surface is stupidly dangerous as the deposits left can be slippery. And, as has been said further down, people see this behaviour and don't think 'oh, it's just a bit of washing up water'. They see it and think 'look, those MH people are flushing their waste directly onto the road.' I've thrown my washing up water away in the hedge before now, but I don't let grey water just run off. And I don't understand those who do it on pitches either. Micro particles of food etc attract vermin, which I definitely don't want anywhere near my van. Not do I want to sit outside the van on a sunny evening right on top of other people's smelly grey waste.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

I think you would be surprised at how common it is.

Up until the 1950's it was standard practice to run the two together, and many properties built before this time will have rain water going into the sewer as part of the design to flush the sewer.

We own a mid terrace property built in the 1850's, the original loo would have been outside at the back.
Each house has a pipe running under the house from back to front which carries all the rear roof rain water and kitchen gray water.
The 'new' indoor bathroom and loo, which was installed in all the houses the 1960's now drains to the front of the house, but it's into the same drain as originally designed, with the rain water from the rear.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
.....In the caravan section of Strensham South services yesterday at about 14.30hrs?

Grey PVC moho. Full chat emptying onto the tarmac :eek:

I was just driving through but was tempted to challenge you but didn't (to my shame).

What a knob head.

Iā€™d have taken a picture with the reg showing

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
As for dumping gray water from a MoHo,
I think its a case for discretion.

As we all know many CL's and even large campsites simply ask you to dump into the hedges.

Anyone who was a Scout up until the 1980's will have built a gray water pit on camp, lined with leaves to collect the grease which is where all the washing up water was dumped.

So I think dumping gray water into a drain in a car park is not too bad, far better that I suspect most of the water that ends up in there which will be mixed with oils off the tarmac. The drains should be fitted with traps, so any solids will be caught.

Over the years I've dumped discretely onto verges, hedges, watered trees and shrubs, and filled a few rain water drains.
As far as I'm aware I've never done it a place where anyone will ever see any trace of my passing !

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
I will never forget, a few years ago we were at a folky weekend in Suffolk, we were using our tent then, but the village hall car park was used for the campervans/MHs. On the Sunday afternoon we had just loaded up the car with the camping gear when we heard somebody shout "look out!". There was a tidal wave of filthy, smelly water coming across the slightly sloping car park towards us. We managed to get into the car just in time. The idiot owner just stood there laughing. To be honest, at the time, it put me right off the motorhoming fraternity!! He was parked all of 20 feet from the drain.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
In my experience of service areas, dropping a tank of grey onto the tarmac will leave it cleaner than before.

Not something to get cross about IMO. Was the tap broken? Did they forget to close it?
Got to say that I agree. If said PVC was anywhere near the lorry Park area then dumping their grey waste will at least rinse off the pee and I'd rather stand in grey waste than urine

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks

Actually combined drains are quite common in town and city areas, I come across them all the time. Is the drain by your kitchen a gulley which has the sink wastes running to it? If so it should be running into the sewer as you canā€™t run sink wastes to surface water systems.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I think you would be surprised at how common it is.

Up until the 1950's it was standard practice to run the two together, and many properties built before this time will have rain water going into the sewer as part of the design to flush the sewer.

We own a mid terrace property built in the 1850's, the original loo would have been outside at the back.
Each house has a pipe running under the house from back to front which carries all the rear roof rain water and kitchen gray water.
The 'new' indoor bathroom and loo, which was installed in all the houses the 1960's now drains to the front of the house, but it's into the same drain as originally designed, with the rain water from the rear.
You are correct though now when people extend their properties the water companies require all new surface water to run to a soak away where feasible (regardless of whether the system is combined), which should be a minimum of 5 metres from the building. If it cannot be done (at a reasonable cost), a written dispensation from the water company is required.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back