Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Been travelling up through France using Aires. Over the last few days have seen several examples of people emptying their loo and then sticking the drinking water tap right into the spout to rinse it out.:mad:
Why are some people so bloody stupid?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Been travelling up through France using Aires. Over the last few days have seen several examples of people emptying their loo and then sticking the drinking water tap right into the spout to rinse it out.:mad:
For the same reason people throw empty cans and fag packets out of their car windows and litter our lane. Because they don't care about anyone else but themselves and their own little selfish lives.

However, no point ranting about it as trying to teach the rest of the world how to behave is a futile occupation.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Particularly when most of the aires we came across in France clearly had a tap above the black waste disposal for rinsing cassettes and a separate tap or taps on the other side of the pillar for fresh water.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't get me started.. I have on several occasions politely asked people not to this, but only got a mouthful of abuse for my efforts ..

on Mimizan plage there are fresh water taps dotted around the aire.. I've seen them used for all sorts.. dirty barstewards .. makes me wonder what their homes are like..

I use a spray bottle filled with dilute bleach... spray all around the tap, over the handle and inside the spout.. then run the water a little before filling..

had some weird looks but who cares..

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
The modern world A???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Perhaps they know it isn't really drinking water....

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I always spray the end of the water tap with Anti Bacterial Spray before connecting my water hose.
Its quick, cheap and safe.
There is no nasty bleach smell, and its odorless and tasteless.
I personally wouldn't use bleach, as it may contain other nasty cleaning chemicals, that you really wouldn't want to drink. Furthermore Anti Bacterial Spray is food safe.
When I'm on an Aire that only has one tap, which has to be used for rinsing toilet cassettes too, I always hold the cassette well below the tap, then I spray the tap with Anti Bacterial Spray again - then its clean for the next user

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Don't get me started.. I have on several occasions politely asked people not to this, but only got a mouthful of abuse for my efforts ..

on Mimizan plage there are fresh water taps dotted around the aire.. I've seen them used for all sorts.. dirty barstewards .. makes me wonder what their homes are like..

I use a spray bottle filled with dilute bleach... spray all around the tap, over the handle and inside the spout.. then run the water a little before filling..

had some weird looks but who cares..

Good advice and exactly what I do. I just hope the dirty buggers who do this don't sanitise taps before filing their tanks etc and suffer a good dose of the trots as a consequence.:LOL:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
For the same reason people throw empty cans and fag packets out of their car windows and litter our lane. Because they don't care about anyone else but themselves and their own little selfish lives.

However, no point ranting about it as trying to teach the rest of the world how to behave is a futile occupation.

Same here. I loath idiots who throw litter cos they are so bloody lazy they cant take it home ! Im one of the soft buggers who picks litter up.

I saw one bloke who part filled his cassette screwed the top and shook it vigorously ! I remember thinking perhaps he will make sure he screws the cap on properly next time. Removing bog roll from his hair could not have been pleasant !:D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I personally wouldn't use bleach, as it may contain other nasty cleaning chemicals, that you really wouldn't want to drink.

I don't recall saying you should drink it.. flushing with fresh water removes the bleach .. as I said "run the water a little before filling.."

you may be surprised to learn chlorine (bleach) is the most widely used chemical in the food industry for cleaning pre-packed salad.. The lettuce , etc is washed in a tank filled with water and chlorine.

I suggest you don't eat salad in a restaurant or buy pre packed salad if you have any concerns.

Chlorine is also in all UK and European water, you can smell it when you run the tap..

it is also the basic chemical in the motorhomers favourite product for sanitising tanks.. Milton .. which is basically highly diluted bleach ..

COSHH Sheet Broken Link Removed
Chlorine-based bleaching agent <5%

I give my advice based on my personal experience and knowledge gained in the food industry ..

not convinced ?
don't take my word..

CHLORINE AS LETTUCE WASH WATER DISINFECTANT WITH RESPECT TO THE
PHYSICOCHEMICAL QUALITY AND THE CHEMICAL SAFETY

http://www.veg-i-trade.org/sci_pres/FoodMicro_Chlorine.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I can't help but wonder if that is why more and more aires are changing over to female fitting on the water supply?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I don't recall saying you should drink it.. flushing with fresh water removes the bleach .. as I said "run the water a little before filling.."

you may be surprised to learn chlorine (bleach) is the most widely used chemical in the food industry for cleaning pre-packed salad.. The lettuce , etc is washed in a tank filled with water and chlorine.

I suggest you don't eat salad in a restaurant or buy pre packed salad if you have any concerns.

Chlorine is also in all UK and European water, you can smell it when you run the tap..

it is also the basic chemical in the motorhomers favourite product for sanitising tanks.. Milton .. which is basically highly diluted bleach ..

COSHH Sheet Broken Link Removed
Chlorine-based bleaching agent <5%

I give my advice based on my personal experience and knowledge gained in the food industry ..

not convinced ?
don't take my word..

CHLORINE AS LETTUCE WASH WATER DISINFECTANT WITH RESPECT TO THE
PHYSICOCHEMICAL QUALITY AND THE CHEMICAL SAFETY

http://www.veg-i-trade.org/sci_pres/FoodMicro_Chlorine.pdf
Calm down Jim
I wasn't referring to your post

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never use the provided hose, if one is supplied.
Always remove the hose, clean the tap with a cloth and disinfectant then fit your own hose.
May not be perfect but better than nothing.
Exactamundo! Even when the waste and fresh water taps are located well away from each other you don't know what they've been doing with them!

Be careful what you buy/drink at shows ... when we went to one a good few years ago there was a chap who was happily chatting on the phone as he filled the fresh water container for his food & drink stall .... the problem was he was filling it at the toilet waste point ... raised brick type around 3ft square and 2ft high with a big hole in the middle ... obviously didn't have a clue! When he got off the phone I pointed out his mistake ... the look of horror on his face was a picture ... we left him there scratching his head and trying to decide what to do!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Exactamundo! Even when the waste and fresh water taps are located well away from each other you don't know what they've been doing with them!

Be careful what you buy/drink at shows ... when we went to one a good few years ago there was a chap who was happily chatting on the phone as he filled the fresh water container for his food & drink stall .... the problem was he was filling it at the toilet waste point ... raised brick type around 3ft square and 2ft high with a big hole in the middle ... obviously didn't have a clue! When he got off the phone I pointed out his mistake ... the look of horror on his face was a picture ... we left him there scratching his head and trying to decide what to do!!!
Brings to mind another current thread regarding phones and driving.
A perfect example why you shouldnt use a phone when there are more important issues going on.
Concentration diminishes the more simultaneous tasks you undertake.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Brings to mind another current thread regarding phones and driving.
A perfect example why you shouldnt use a phone when there are more important issues going on.
Concentration diminishes the more simultaneous tasks you undertake.
I suspect the phone call happened after the filling commenced ... he wasn't a motorhome owner (or caravan) so had no idea that the tap was meant for another purpose! :rolleyes:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We were parked between two foreign registered vans on a site.

One family were happily washing up sitting on the ground and using the grey water disposal sink (the site owner had set an old sink into the ground rather than have a grid, he said people missed the grid and the ground got soggy and smelly. I did show them where the wash-up area was but they said it was too far to walk. They were also not happy when asked to play football on the games field, well away from the motorhomes - again they said it was too far to walk.

The Italian couple were lovely :) and I think we all breathed a sigh of relief when the other van left. Most people are great but it doesn't take much for things to get spoilt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back