Empty fridge syndrome (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Mrs Bags doesn’t want to take much food , if any, to France bit would rather buy en route and me pay for food out .

I’m either being tight (which is a distinct possibility ) or she’s being lazy and doesn’t want to cook (which is also a distinct possibility ) so the question is

do you go locked n loaded ? Or graze as you travel ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As others have said we take some stuff but buy most there. I don't want to eat the same on holiday as I do here so why take loads its an opportunity to try more French stuff at French prices. If though you are desperate to live off fray bentos pies and Worcester sauce take it with you.
Lastly remember it's a wise man who knows his place

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Defo breakfast stuff. Milk isn’t easy to find in France as we know it. We buy 2 litre bottles and freeze one for the latter half of the week.
Emergency meals if you get stuck somewhere remote.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You are also going to find most of France closed

Supernarkets will be OK, but eating out will be challenging unless in larger towns

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I keep moanin... advising her but she doesn’t listen . But you kind folks , by committee , have literally saved my bacon , milk , bread , etc :)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ann likes to take Branston Pickle (small chunk)
Salad creme can be difficult to find too.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I always find it Unbelievable that "UK Style Bacon" Smoked or unsmoked, is not popular & readily available all over the world!
Its not difficult to produce, and apart from veggies, vegans,or people with dietary restrictions, I cannot imagine many people that wouldn't instantly love it, and adopt it, as we have, as being an essential item on their regular shopping list.
Smoked meats/sausages from France, Germany, Italy are great, especially with some lovely,accompanied with, but too many to mention cheeses, BUT, there is no substitute for a Bacon roll or sandwich in the morning IMHO.
We have been influenced so much over the years in adopting so many food styles from Europe & world wide, i.e Chicken Tikka Marsala has now overtaken Roast Beef & Yorkshire Puds, as our favourite (we are often told), and lovely they are too. (y)

Maybe I should go over to the French Markets, set up stall, offering hot Bacon Rolls/Sandwiches, with or without brown or red sauce and try and educate them? ot would I get lynched :giggle:
LES

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Bacon and chedder cheese, we found a French equivalent in a supermarket but it was the same thickness as cling film, love French cheese but sometimes I get nostalgic and want some chedder, bought some French chedder once it was like eating soap lol

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Ann likes to take Branston Pickle (small chunk)

I ran out within a few day while in France last year because someone who shan't be named forgot to put another jar onboard before we left.
What's the matter with the French, no bloody Branston of anything like it to be found in any shops or supermarkets, forty types of bloody mayonnaise, but not pickle !!!

OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I always find it Unbelievable that "UK Style Bacon" Smoked or unsmoked, is not popular & readily available all over the world!
Its not difficult to produce, and apart from veggies, vegans,or people with dietary restrictions, I cannot imagine many people that wouldn't instantly love it, and adopt it, as we have, as being an essential item on their regular shopping list.
Smoked meats/sausages from France, Germany, Italy are great, especially with some lovely,accompanied with, but too many to mention cheeses, BUT, there is no substitute for a Bacon roll or sandwich in the morning IMHO.
We have been influenced so much over the years in adopting so many food styles from Europe & world wide, i.e Chicken Tikka Marsala has now overtaken Roast Beef & Yorkshire Puds, as our favourite (we are often told), and lovely they are too. (y)

Maybe I should go over to the French Markets, set up stall, offering hot Bacon Rolls/Sandwiches, with or without brown or red sauce and try and educate them? ot would I get lynched :giggle:
LES
Great idea but leave that for a few weeks until they settle down eh ? ;-)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I noticed someone mentioned Worcester sauce earlier in the thread.
Sorry to be pedantic but the proper stuff is 'Worcestershire' sauce available all over the world and made by a French company in the original Worcester factory.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back