Emissions sticker needed for France? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We haven't been for a while and wondered if any new regulations have come out about displaying an emissions sticker?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Only in certain cities and then only when pollution reaches critical levels.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've just been on the certificate-air site but didn't get far as it said the requirement doesn't apply to my 1995 diesel vehicle. No mention in the FAQ's of what this means to me, so I assume that without a sticker I can't enter areas with emission restrictions. Not that it's a problem as I don't go into cities (intentionally ;)) which is where I understand these restrictions are in force.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Only in certain cities and then only when pollution reaches critical levels.

I think that is not correct.

To be able to enter an emissions zone one has to have the sticker, even if no restrictions are in force.

If restrictions are imposed it states which stickers are permitted to enter.

It would be better to get the sticker, but one would still need to check the App. to find out if restrictions are in place for one's own vehicle. I believe they must be published the day before implementation.

Geoff

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I've just been on the certificate-air site but didn't get far as it said the requirement doesn't apply to my 1995 diesel vehicle. No mention in the FAQ's of what this means to me, so I assume that without a sticker I can't enter areas with emission restrictions. Not that it's a problem as I don't go into cities (intentionally ;)) which is where I understand these restrictions are in force.
Not just cities, there can be temporary restrictions applying to whole departments when air quality falls.
https://www.crit-air.fr/en/informat...tal-zones-zcr/french-environmental-zones.html

We are going to Loire valley in July in an older car that is not eligible for a sticker. I am going to download the app in order to check if permissible to drive on any one day. I’m not sure what happens if you are parked up on a street on that day though, I assume that’s ok.
In practice, these temporary restrictions have not yet been applied.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I am going to download the app in order to check if permissible to drive on any one day.
Aaaargh! what a fag. I am never (and don't want to be) internet-enabled when away. I use printed guides, but in general I like surprises, adventuring and the challenges of whatever comes along.
With all the regulations developing I'm tempted to have a horse-drawn caravan and let it drop its business in the Avenue Victor Hugo. Twice.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Aaaargh! what a fag. I am never (and don't want to be) internet-enabled when away. I use printed guides, but in general I like surprises, adventuring and the challenges of whatever comes along.
With all the regulations developing I'm tempted to have a horse-drawn caravan and let it drop its business in the Avenue Victor Hugo. Twice.
There will be announcements on the radio the day before:LOL::LOL:
As I said, I wouldn’t worry about the department ones as they have never yet activated them and even if they did, I think they would be just in the major towns on particularly busy traffic and hot still days.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
That doesn’t sound right to me, are you sure?
Not 100% but 95% certain that if a restriction is in place the level will be declared and you must have a sticker of that level or better during that period. Outside restrictions no critair sticker required as no proof of emission is required to enter the zone ...... me thinks :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Not 100% but 95% certain that if a restriction is in place the level will be declared and you must have a sticker of that level or better during that period. Outside restrictions no critair sticker required as no proof of emission is required to enter the zone ...... me thinks :whistle::whistle::whistle:
That sounds like I thought it should be, but there may or may not be requirements to permenantly display a sticker in the ZPA ( central metroplotitan zones) of the relative cities, but I can’t find a definitive answer to this. I was driving around the outskirts of Toulouse a couple of months ago, we don’t have a crit air sticker, nor did anyone else I saw.

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
This whole thing is a joke.

Can you imagine an octogenarian Frenchman checking his App before setting off to the boulangerie in the Renault 4 he's owned from new? Or one of the Chasse making sure it is OK to run their 1980's Toyota 4x4 on a boar hunt?

They haven't got mobile pones, computers or ipads in rural France. They'd have to drive to the Tabac to buy a newspaper to check that they were actually allowed to drive to buy the newspaper. :D

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
They haven't got mobile pones, computers or ipads in rural France.

But it's not rural France effected by the critair restrictions it is the large cities ... I suspect ... and they do have techy people and not many boar hunts

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
No category for motorhome or camping car on application, so what category do you use & does the weight make a difference?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We never drive in the big cities mentioned but have bought the crit -air sticker just in case of emergencies and we have to venture into the zone.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
We do not drive into Central Paris or any of the other cities and if in a zone which had critical air would be moving ASAP.
Apart from that I do not want the French authorities to know that much about me. I have just done the same with Mazda as they wanted a copy of my v5 to keep registered on their app. As all my vehicles are covered by Nationwide and my local dealer informs me when a service is due, I have deleted the app.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Now I might be wrong but I think some cities have permanent crit air zones where you need the sticker and more will be joining the initiative.
Other places such as Chambery and Albertville will have crit air zones when pollution levels are high. Bearing in mind a lot of these areas are in valleys surround by very high mountains ,if you are in the Alps trying to avoid them ........well , good luck with that !
Hehe Camdoon , what are you hiding?

Deleted User
Applied for mine yesterday, hardest part was getting my scanner to work for the V5 copy and figuring out how to get the size down to less than 400k.

Ten minutes at most online, €3.62, confirmation e mail today that application processed and soon on it's way, see no reason whatsoever not to if visiting France.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Applied for mine yesterday, hardest part was getting my scanner to work for the V5 copy and figuring out how to get the size down to less than 400k.

Ten minutes at most online, €3.62, confirmation e mail today that application processed and soon on it's way, see no reason whatsoever not to if visiting France.

When it arrives don't unpeel it and stick it on glass as instructed. It will never come off if you break the glass and you would have to get a new one.
Use one of those old holders we used to put our rfl in and stick that on the glass.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
These stickers last for the life of the vehicle so last April when I was lucky enough to buy a new van, I applied for one. 'Twas a simple job and arrived through the post in about 10 days.
Having had a new screen on the previous van, I did as suggested and used a laminate [poly-pocket] to attach to the screen. A good idea from someone - thank you.
I have since been to France for the summer where I was accompanied by 1000's of other vanners and travelled through the country in the winter [not so many] and have yet to see a French registered van WITH a sticker!
If you're gonna get one, simples, but if not don't get too wound up about it.

Terry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@Terry242 Mine has one as has many many other French vans and cars .... are you looking on the wrong side of the windscreen by chance???

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
20180425_161342.jpg

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
That as easy! Applied on-line on Monday, got an email confirmation with pdf certificate (Euro 4) attached this morning. Job done!
(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back