LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is a problem that only started last year, was OK before.
On my laptop & phone for convenience when traveling I use Google's SMTP server as it works almost faultlessly in most countries (I think Croatia was the exception).
The problem I'm getting is if I send an email from one of my accounts i.e. lenny@xxx.co.uk it gets received as the address of the google account I'm logging into the SMPT server something like lenny@google.com. To make matters worse it doesn't happen on all emails only some. Causes problems as the email often ends up in the recipient's junk folder.

One work around would be to set up another Google account (I've got too many already) using one of my standard email addresses, not ideal as I use more than one email address.

Has anyone got any suggestions or failing that anyone recommend a good SMPT server that will work in most countries including Asia (Asia not one of my favorite places but daughter lives in Thailand & I get dragged there(n)).

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Ouch that's a bit pricey for personal use.
It looks as though it is only £30 a year for up to 1000 emails a month for as many from addresses as you like.

I run an exchange server which for me is ok as i get the software as part of a subscription but it cost a lot more to run the servers where it all sits. For me it is good but for the average person it would be a massive over kill. In this sense the £30 a year doesn't seem too bad considering.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It looks as though it is only £30 a year for up to 1000 emails a month for as many from addresses as you like.

I run an exchange server which for me is ok as i get the software as part of a subscription but it cost a lot more to run the servers where it all sits. For me it is good but for the average person it would be a massive over kill. In this sense the £30 a year doesn't seem too bad considering.
I read it wrong thought it was £26 a month.

Reactions: zac

BurningRanger

Free Member
Jul 12, 2017
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had the exact same problem as you. I wanted to effectively use Google to receive and send emails but use my own personal domain. Incoming was fine, but outgoing was a problem as to use Gmail with personal domains you have to pay.

I solved it with a bit of jiggery-pokery using Mail gun. Here's the article I used https://blog.tyrsius.com/using-mailgun-to-route-gmail-for-free/

It's quite complicated to set up if you're not in IT but it works very well.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hi Lenny
I use SMTP2GO. It's free for up to 1000 emails a month and has worked faultlessly for the last year for me.
It doesn't modify the send address and just relays the messages
It also keeps records of mails sent
Cheers
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I had the exact same problem as you. I wanted to effectively use Google to receive and send emails but use my own personal domain. Incoming was fine, but outgoing was a problem as to use Gmail with personal domains you have to pay.

I solved it with a bit of jiggery-pokery using Mail gun. Here's the article I used https://blog.tyrsius.com/using-mailgun-to-route-gmail-for-free/

It's quite complicated to set up if you're not in IT but it works very well.

Hi Lenny
I use SMTP2GO. It's free for up to 1000 emails a month and has worked faultlessly for the last year for me.
It doesn't modify the send address and just relays the messages
It also keeps records of mails sent
Cheers
Steve
Thanks guys, I found out on our last trip I could get away using Plusnet's servers previously they wouldn't work out side the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back