LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
..... not in my motorhome, but in my (new to me) car but there must be 'vans out there similarly affected.

I bought my car because it had the exact specification that I wanted but it had obviously been owned by a smoker.

The main dealer that I bought it from was confident that they could eradicate the smell with a good valet and a 'flower bomb'.

Disappointingly the valet hadn't been done when I picked it up and it smelt like a tart's boudoir with the eye-watering dose of air freshener it had received. The MOT was up on the car I was trading in so I had to accept it and it was arranged that it would be valeted at a garage local to me.

Long story short, the smell of tobacco is as strong as ever and I don't know what to do next. As a non-smoker with a sensitive nose, I get quite upset every time I get into the car. I have googled the subject and it's not looking good (n)

Has anyone successfully managed to get rid of this offensive smell in their car/motorhome?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
How about I get you some of the odour which makes gas smell like gas, two drops of that in your car and you'll NEVER smell stale smoke in it again ! Mind, you'll have to learn to love the smell of gas !

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
know what you mean, but having had a deep clean valet for an ex employees car recently don't give up hope

find you own valeters, tell them the specific problem, I am sure it can be removed

best of luck (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
A big box of bicarbonate of soda, split into several bowls. Place around the car ( and boot as smoke gets everywhere) Do this for several nights and if the car is stationary for any length of time. If the smell persists after a week of this you'll need to change to a new box of bicarbonate.

You can also try vinegar. Empty a bottle into as big a bowl as you can find and stand in the car overnight.

If you have a steamer you could try steaming everything before trying above. Unfortunately the smoke smell will be in the roof lining of the car too,

Just thought of another one but not sure how messy it will be. Charcoal. You have to spread it on the carpets and upholstery though.

If none of the above work, if you can find the old fashioned solid toilet freshener things that used to be put in a plastic holder on the toilet rim, spread those around the car, on the floor and seats.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,Janine I agree with David a deep clean valet is definitely the best way to go,see if the dealer will cough up for it as it will be a days work for the proper job.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Wilko sell a large box of bicarbonate of soda - really cheap. Don't waste money on Supercook food quality. Plus all the other ideas suggested by Hollyberry

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
You will never get rid of smoke smell in a car that's why i never got a smokers car.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Never having been in a Tarts Boudoir.............. Don't forget to do the "Chenille Curtains"............... If fitted.........
Tea Bag

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You will need something that will clean by flowing with the air because the smoke will be everywhere, in the air vents and recirculating pipe work behind the dash and lots of other places you can't get too.... some kind of steaming cleaner in the car while it's running and fan on air re-circulating for an hour, but what to use as a steamer...? Perhaps an old or cheap kettle filled with some type of cleaner/deodoriser plugged into the mains... a lot of hassle but other then selling.... it might work..(y)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Nothing worse than that smell. I bought a car at auction a few years ago so didn't get to sit inside it, once I'd paid I opened the door and the stale tobacco smell hit me. I had a full professional valet done, all the seats, roof lining and carpets wet cleaned, and the valet left the ash tray full of some sort of odour absorbing powder. It worked - a couple of weeks later and the smell had gone.

My father-in-law was a smoker - when he died the family had his car cleaned in the same way, it did the trick there as well, again after a further couple of weeks of airing it.

Fag smoke really does permeate - I bought some used silver screens from Ebay, they turned up and believe it or not even they stank of stale tobacco! Luckily putting the storage bag through the washing machine and giving the screens a good clean outside with hot soapy water and leaving them on the clothes lines for a couple of weeks and the smell went.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm going to try the 'home-made' ideas until I can get a response from the salesman, who I am assuming is on his holibobs at the moment as he hasn't replied to my latest email.

After all, he sent me an email saying 'Apologies for any dissatisfaction you have with your new car, I offer my full support in resolving any issues and will do so throughout your entire ownership' What could possibly go wrong? ;);)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
There is a machine that will clear it for you.
Unfortunately i cant remember what its called but the detailers on here might know.
Its a similar to a de ioniser or maybe thats what its called?? :)

Try posting or searching on any detailers sites on the internet look for removing cigarrete smell as I'm sure you can hire them.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
There is a machine that will clear it for you.
Unfortunately i cant remember what its called but the detailers on here might know.
Its a similar to a de ioniser or maybe thats what its called?? :)

Try posting or searching on any detailers sites on the internet look for removing cigarrete smell as I'm sure you can hire them.

Would that be the ozone machine? I've heard that it's very good but can destroy the plastic in the car.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Don't know if this is the right thing for your prob! but here goes!

When ever I used an oil based paint (one woman actually reported me to the Insurance Co saying I tried to poison her) I used to advise people to leave raw sliced onions, in a bowl, in the room, overnight !

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
You could take up smoking yourself. I have been told that, if you do, you won't notice it :)
Of course, you are far too sensible to do that. Dreadful habit.

IMG_0896.JPG

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
get a tom cat to pee in it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that will take your mind off it,:whistle::sneaky:

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Re. The Bicarb: My wife's car got flooded inside while we were away once, and it turned mouldy. Never have completely got rid of the smell, but scrubbing bicarb into the carpets, leaving a couple of days then hoovering it out really did help.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Almost impossible to get rid of the smell........... it gets everywhere........ aircon, heater...........good luck anyway

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Isn't there some sort of aetolsol you set if in your car that's supposed to deodorise all the air con/ ventilation system ? I'm sure I used one in Cyprus, left the car running for 10-15 minutes with this thing discharging, then had to leave the car empty for an hour. Does such a thing exist in Britain ?

Aug 7, 2015
Highlands
Funster No
Isn't there some sort of aetolsol you set if in your car that's supposed to deodorise all the air con/ ventilation system ? I'm sure I used one in Cyprus, left the car running for 10-15 minutes with this thing discharging, then had to leave the car empty for an hour. Does such a thing exist in Britain ?
Yes you can get them off eBay, etc. Google aircon bomb - works for a while.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

Yes, I've seen such a thing on Amazon - just a bit concerned about the residual smell mentioned in the reviews.

I got the bicarb from Wilko's yesterday so will try that over the weekend.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Went to a flat in Lanzerote a few years ago (before the ban on smoking etc)
It stunk of smoking.
We bought a couple of bottles of Febreeze and sprayed all the curtains, the cushions of the settee and chairs and even the ceremonial 'throw' that was over the beds.
The smell disappeared, as if by magic.

I've done the 'Onion' hack after using paint and confirm that it does work. So does the Bicarb but we are not dealing with hard surfaces. The surfaces of the car are soft and will 'hold' the smell.
I would suggest a food valet followed by the Febreeze.

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I believe auto glym do one as you say.
The problem is the smoke will be ingrained in the soft furnishings. As has already been said I suspect the only method is a good valet of the soft furnishings. You can buy auto cleaning products to do it yourself. It is generally an aerosol foam.
As you probably know, air fresheners just mask the smell for a period of time. I can recommend an odour eliminator called 'Oust'. You can get it in all the usual places including supermarkets. I just wouldn't spray it directly onto the furnishings. It eliminates the smell rather than just masking it. It was recommended to me by the hospital.
It's only ÂŁ1+ per can.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Our van when we picked it up stank of cigarettes as did all the manuals, don't know how the dealer had hidden the smell as my sense of smell is usually vey good. We left neutrodol gel in the van, and dishes of coffee granules, washed all the curtains and surfaces again, it had been steam cleaned inside. opened windows as often as possible. Do get a very faint whiff when we start the deisel heating up, and sometimes if the van has been left without a window being opened for a long time. Also recently bought a car, one i test drove stank, was told they can put a 'chemical bomb' inside to sort out the smell. Wasn't the right car for me, but would have looked for a smoke free one if it had been. Best of luck, hope you find something that works.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Quick update:

After a chance conversation with a salesman from another branch of the same group at the Malvern show at the weekend, I found out that there was a new general manager at the garage that I bought the car from.

Sent him an email on Monday explaining the situation and that my email dated 28th July to the original salesman had not been replied to.

I have now been offered a replacement car! Result :)

Oh and the best product I have found is Autoglym Odour Eliminator. Smells OK but hasn't solved the problem

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You will never get rid of smoke smell in a car that's why i never got a smokers car.
Have to say as an ex car valeter I have to agree, smoke and dog are the hardest smells to remove from a vehicle if it's been prolonged use... I've seen carpets and seats replaced in cars before you get rid of the smell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back