Elephant park info (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
It's looking like I will be travelling by ferry to Santander near Christmas time. I will be slowly making my way to Benidorm and I am thinking off stopping at the Aire here just South of Santander. My ferry arrives at half 5 and the elephant parks website says it closes at 6.

Is the aire shown on CC separate from the actual park meaning access will still be possible for me when I arrive at roughly 6.30PM? Or will the aire be shut at the same time as the park?

I will just be travelling by myself and I am thinking of taking a look round the park the following day. What is the park like? I read something about a gondola type lift that takes you around.

Any info would be great!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We had a little trouble finding the aire as the MH sign not clear to see. With the entrance to the park right in front of you, turn to the right down a narrow lane which will open out into the free parking next to the lake.

There is another recent thread about the animal park and reports are that it is worth a visit. You can drive around and take the gondola ride.
Turn down this road

2A70E066-4F92-4DD4-A05C-80D0D8F0CCAE.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We are on a similar/same boat arriving 17:30 ish on the 29th December, I know the elephant park aire but we're thinking by the time we get off the boat it will quite a hassle to get there.

We are going to stop over in the Santander aire N43°25'38.39" W 3°48'36.39" that first night and travel on in the morning.

HTH

Gerry 'n Anne

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
We are on a similar/same boat arriving 17:30 ish on the 29th December, I know the elephant park aire but we're thinking by the time we get off the boat it will quite a hassle to get there.

We are going to stop over in the Santander aire N43°25'38.39" W 3°48'36.39" that first night and travel on in the morning.

HTH

Gerry 'n Anne

Can I ask why you think it may be a hassle to get there? Do you think a lot of the motorhomers off the ferry will be staying there or do you mean traffic wise? Shame I am on a different sailing (21st Dec) as I am on the look out for partners for the pub quiz :LOL:

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Shouldn’t be a hassle to get to heffalump park and it won’t be closed

The Santander park - actually neat Somo opposite Santander - costs €10 IIRC and has the advantage of a couple of WCs. I used it after and before big ferry and would recommend it.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
We've used it a couple of times in December and were the only van on one occasion and one of just two the other time. Good shout from @Riverbankannie as the entrance could be easily missed (we found it ok, navigating very slowly). There are no barriers/gates, so always open. It's easy to get to from the port and handy if you don't want to go too far in the dark. These days we tend to get a ferry that arrives in time to leave enough light to get further down the country (prefer not to drive in the dark). We filled up with water there -- push-tap, but someone had put a wire loop on there, so you could keep it on. We also emptied the grey (slightly dodgy grid).

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Can I ask why you think it may be a hassle to get there? Do you think a lot of the motorhomers off the ferry will be staying there or do you mean traffic wise? Shame I am on a different sailing (21st Dec) as I am on the look out for partners for the pub quiz :LOL:
Your sat nav should take you there but it will be dark at that time and it will take at least 40 mins once on road off the ferry. Look up the routes on google maps or something so you are prepared for the roads, some fast first (most of way) and then some narrower country roads to get to the aire. There are 2 park entrances and I think google maps might be showing the one that is not the aire so check gps coordinates. Park4night gives them as
lat.N 43° 21' 31" long. W 3° 49' 8"

I’m sure it won’t be busy it’s a very large area but could be very quiet unless Spanish MHs are out over the Christmas period.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We're here now, just remember to turn right at the church before the pay booths to the park, it looks a bit narrow but its fine

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
@Riverbankannie

Yeah thanks for that. I have actually just had a virtual journey on google streetview and I clocked the same place that you mentioned above, with the little bar on the right hand side. Turn there and follow the road down. It does look a bit tight as @Oscar says but I do note it is not long until it opens out to the parking area.

I actually hate doing these virtual walk throughs on google as I just get excited and now I just wish I was leaving tomorrow!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
A few more photos.
elephants2.jpg
elephants1.jpg
elephants3.jpg
elephants4.jpg
elephants5.jpg

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The bar as you turn right towards the aire has (We're told) a 'menu del dia' including wine for 9.50 euros .....:)

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In the interests of research (!) we will have a recce at said bar, and, if they do a gluten free free option, will partake & report back .......,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is the aire shown on CC separate from the actual park meaning access will still be possible for me when I arrive at roughly 6.30PM? Or will the aire be shut at the same time as the park?
Last Thursday the Spanish were still arriving at 2 am well Friday really.

We had a little trouble finding the aire as the MH sign not clear to see. With the entrance to the park right in front of you, turn to the right down a narrow lane which will open out into the free parking next to the lake.

There is another recent thread about the animal park and reports are that it is worth a visit. You can drive around and take the gondola ride.
Turn down this road

View attachment 261722
Last week had an excellent meal at that Restaraunt on the right hand corner, €9.50 each 3 courses, bottle of wine & bottle of water.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
9451F599-B309-440A-8C94-A537ADD78072.jpeg
This photo was taken from the track that is at the end of the Aire.
We were there in May, lots of space so can’t imagine it would be a problem for your visit.
Strangely visitors weren’t allowed to enter through the entrance in the village unless you’d purchased tickets online :mad: but that’s probably changed by now.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001

I'm thinking it will be gone six by the time we get off the boat, the Elephant park is probably 45 mins drive away in traffic and B roads. I'm only stopping-over then want to get straight on to the motorway in the morning. The Santander aire is 5-10 mins from the boat and immediatly on the motorway in the morning.

I'm up for the pub quiz, quite good on sixties music and science but useless on TV culture. :)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Which Aire in Santander?
I’d recommend the Somo one above others.
It’s about 20 minutes drive but seemed very secure and has WC.
It’s in a quiet rural setting with gate closure.
Nice walk to beach in the morning if you have time.

In May we crossed with 10m swell so little sleep.
I did think as I headed off the ferry - hmmm, no sleep, dark, raining, wrong side of road, rush hour and not sure where I was going - what could possibly go wrong! Was glad to put head down in Aire.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
There is aire in Santander next to the university I'm sure it on park4nite .
But the elephant site is excellent just leave a day to visit,it's worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back