Elektroblok 220 and Solar - what's happening? (1 Viewer)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
We have 200watts of solar panels on the roof, feeding into the Elektroblok 220 charger via a LR1218 solar regulator.

At present we're on hook-up but the Elektroblok display panel shows one amp of solar power going into the leisure batteries (the sun is just up). The DT220 display shows that the leisure batteries are both full. It is conceivable that we are using about an amp at the moment with no big power users deployed, only background systems running.

Is there a hierarchy of supply algorithem built into the Elektroblok that shuts off the hookup supply to the battery charger when there's solar power available?

Does anyone know what is happening?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I Don't know your system and how it prioritizes the charging but this will bump your thread and maybe someone will be able to tell you..
It could well be that the on board charger is shut down if the batteries are full and the solar is providing the small draw..
It is normal for the charger with the highest voltage to be the source that will keep working...until the load exceeds it' capacity and the voltage drops... the other charging sources would then start supplying...
Andy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Simple answer, No.
The EBL is a 3 stage charger, the 220 bulk charges at 14.3v then absorption phase which holds the 14.3v for 1 hour for flooded cell or 4 hours set to Gel then drops to a maintenance charge of 13.8v.
LR1218 charges to 14.2 volts then holds that voltage constanly, so that will override the EBL's output. As the LR1218 does not reduce to a maintenance voltage it is fine with Gel batteries but none too kind flooded cells and other batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Lenny's extremely well informed reply makes me think that the solar charger is being selected by the EBL220 as primary charger over the hookup. (But I'm not sure!? Lenny?)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Lenny's extremely well informed reply makes me think that the solar charger is being selected by the EBL220 as primary charger over the hookup. (But I'm not sure!? Lenny?)
Once the batteries are charged the EBL will drop to 13.8v however if the sun is out the LR1218 will be giving out 14.2v so it will take priority. The EBL will always take over when power is needed it does not select the solar it is just a case of which of the two sources of power for charging has the highest voltage will be the charging source.

OP
OP
H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Thanks Lenny, it's now clear to me how the system operates. Norman

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
@Lenny HB is this the route I'm better going down ?
@Hagstrom has the same van as mine and the same shaudt panel and ebl
I see the lr1218 available on eBay and having done a Google search earlier on the shaudt solar it seems to be the recommended approach and the best way to not cause damage to the system I think.
The lr1218 kit is available between £60 And £85.
I'm not sure if my current setup is being picked up by the shaudt panel
Yet it seemed to be when I first fitted it?
Could it be because my van hasn't been connected to electric hookup since I replaced the batteries and perhaps the shaudt panel hasn't determined voltage etc.
As again tonight my batteries are showing at 12.2v which is low :(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Don't bother with the Schaudt LR1218 if you want a Schaudt regulator get LRM1218 it is a proper MPPT regulator. Also I would not use a LR1218 with your flooded batteries as it will shorten their life as it does not reduce to a maintaince charge once the batteries are charged.

A better option is the Votronic MPP range, they are fully compatible with the EBL. They are available in various sizes up to 430 Watts.
I've just bought a 350 watt one it was £156 (about £200 for the 430watt) it's about £15 for the leads to connect to an EBL. The Votronic also has a signal output for AES fridges which will turn the fridge over to 12v when excess solar is avalible.
The Schaudt LRM1218 is around £180 and limited to 270 watts so you would be stuffed if you wanted to add another panel.

You say batteries are showing 12.2v what is the voltage at the batteries compared to the panel voltage.?

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Cheers for the info @Lenny HB

I think the best thing to do first is to hook up to electric when I get near a site and give it a good 24-48 hours on hook up and see if that resets my panel.

Then I can see if I'm getting anything from the solar

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Northernraider Tam, the difference with using different solar regulators are:

a) If your control panel is capable of showing the solar charge, with a compatible regulator like the Schaudt or Votronic, the panel will show any charge going into the battery in the normal current view, minus any discharge, i.e. you are using 2 amps of power in the van and solar input is 5 amps the panel will read +3 amps.
You will also be able to select "Solar " which will show the current going into the batteries from the solar panel i.e. 5 amps.

b) If your panel is NOT capable of showing the solar charge it wiill work the same as above with the exception of not being able to read the solar charge separately. The panel will show any charge going into the battery in the normal current view, minus any discharge, i.e. you are using 2 amps of power in the van and solar input is 5 amps the panel will read +3 amps.

IMO it does not matter what type of regulator you use as long as it is a good quality MPPT type not a cheap chinese one.:LOL:

One advantage of using a Schaudt or Votronic is that they are dual output regulators so you don't need to fit a Solar Split Charge Relay to keep the engine battery topped up.

Further thinking about your exsisting setup, How did you connect the output of the regulator to the batteries?
Some older EBL's (I think the 220 is one of them) get confused if you bypass them and connect direct to the batteries, you should connect the solar output to the socket on the EBL.

It's all very simple really.:rolleyes:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
@Northernraider Tam, the difference with using different solar regulators are:

a) If your control panel is capable of showing the solar charge, with a compatible regulator like the Schaudt or Votronic, the panel will show any charge going into the battery in the normal current view, minus any discharge, i.e. you are using 2 amps of power in the van and solar input is 5 amps the panel will read +3 amps.
You will also be able to select "Solar " which will show the current going into the batteries from the solar panel i.e. 5 amps.

b) If your panel is NOT capable of showing the solar charge it wiill work the same as above with the exception of not being able to read the solar charge separately. The panel will show any charge going into the battery in the normal current view, minus any discharge, i.e. you are using 2 amps of power in the van and solar input is 5 amps the panel will read +3 amps.

IMO it does not matter what type of regulator you use as long as it is a good quality MPPT type not a cheap chinese one.:LOL:

One advantage of using a Schaudt or Votronic is that they are dual output regulators so you don't need to fit a Solar Split Charge Relay to keep the engine battery topped up.

Further thinking about your exsisting setup, How did you connect the output of the regulator to the batteries?
Some older EBL's (I think the 220 is one of them) get confused if you bypass them and connect direct to the batteries, you should connect the solar output to the socket on the EBL.

It's all very simple really.:rolleyes:
Yes I think that might be the problem I've connected the solar directly to the batteries and not the ebl as I didn't know how to do that.
The Van had smaller solar panels fitted before I got it and they had been connected direct to the battery so I just did the same.

It's simple if you have the electrical knowledge lol ....im more mechanical
Electrics just confuse me

I'm just curious as to how the shaudt panel seemed to pick up the battery status when I first fitted the panels but doesn't seem to now.
Which makes me think it's something I've done.

It would be good though to have the solar going in to the ebl and I'm pretty sure my shaudt panel is capable of the solar connection

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back