Elektroblock EBL 263-5 (1 Viewer)

MF2021

Free Member
Oct 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ducato Adria
Anyone know much about the inner workings of this unit? I need confirmation on something. Fitted to a 2005 Fiat Ducato Adria

I am planning to fit a Renogy Battery Monitor for the leisure battery. This is straight forward enough, but after reading the EBL 263-5 manual I have a slight concern. The EBL 263-5 unit is connected to both the leisure and starter batteries to facilitate charging. I *think* this is only when the engine is running.

So, the question is. Can anyone confirm that when using the 12v system with the engine off, the habitation devices only use the Leisure battery for power?

I know that the EBL 263-5 will charge both and it does this by linking the batteries in parallel. But it then says when voltage on D+ is lost (e.g the alternator stop's producing power because the engine has been turned off) the batteries are unlinked.

So, if the above is correct, then by battery monitor will only see voltage from the leisure battery and will therefor be accurate.

Many thanks

OP
OP
M

MF2021

Free Member
Oct 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Ducato Adria
yes your understanding is correct otherwise you could flatten the vehicle battery whilst parked using the van

Excellent, thank you for confirming!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
So, if the above is correct, then by battery monitor will only see voltage from the leisure battery and will therefor be accurate.
The Renogy Battery Monitor does not use the leisure battery voltage as a measure of the battery state of charge, it uses something entirely different.

The monitor has a 'shunt' which it attaches to the battery negative terminal. Everything else that was attached to the battery negative terminal is removed and attached to the other shunt terminal. So anything going into or out of the battery has to pass through the shunt.

There is a tiny electronic detector circuit attached to the shunt, which requires a thin 12V power feed from the battery positive terminal, to power the electronics. The shunt accurately measures the battery amps, and the detector transmits amps data continuously to the monitor display unit.

There is a microchip and digital timer in the display unit, which monitors the amps and volts continuously, and counts the amp-hours of charge going in and out.

Battery monitors that just read voltage are very misleading when the battery is being charged or when under load. This shunt-based monitor is accurate all the time.

So it doesn't matter whether the charge is coming in from the solar controller, mains charger or from the alternator/starter battery, or going out through habitation loads, it will all get measured properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back