Electroplating: Anyone got a contact? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Everyone,

As per the title, our metal wire racks in our fridge are beginning to show signs of wear.
they're pitted and detract from the appearance.

At this stage, I refuse point blank to submit my wallet to the abuse that would be caused by paying Dometic's ridiculous price, (I think the two are in the region of an eye watering £130)
So, is there any Funster out there who can give an address to which we can make contact to have the trays electroplated.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I'm pretty sure the existing chrome first has to be removed and the rust cleaned up before they can be replated. You should be able to find a chrome plater localy. Where are you based?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I'm pretty sure the existing chrome first has to be removed and the rust cleaned up before they can be replated. You should be able to find a chrome plater localy. Where are you based?

Yes your are correct and to fill in rust pits if their now to deep it's copper plated first and the buffed to to use the copper as a filler. All hours and hours is money so you might end up with new wire racks.

We had two chromers local to us and a combination of health and safety and several theft of their plating anodes convinced them to pack it in.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Plating is paid for by weight of the things you want done, but the minimum weight is usually 40 kgs. You need to find someone who will let you tag on to their order. Replacing it with stainless steel might be a better bet.

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
Powder coating might work and will be a lot cheaper.

Silas

Free Member
May 1, 2018
Stafford
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
One month
Two of my uncle's used to run a plating factory in the black country. They did a lot of work for motor manufacturers. On a visit once they were plating quarter light frames for triumph heralds. He said to me that this one the onevthingbon the car that will never rust, I think he was almost right.

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Really thrilled with mine, rechromed by Ashford a firm in Kent, they have a good website. They are used to working on fridge racks.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp