Electronic coding on Peugeot Boxer keys (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My friend was recently unable to start his Autosleeper Warwick at Portsmouth after overnighting at the port, and called the AA, who told him that several vehicles (about 15) had suffered the same problem there in recent months. The AA man believed that something in the area was interfering with the ignition key coding - radio waves or something.Luckily my friend had a second key which worked, but has had to have the failed/altered one re-coded again today at the Peugeot dealer.

Has anyone heard of this before?? Or can offer an explanation?

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
Yes, I have seen exactly the same problem and was given the same reasons but for me it was at the M42 Tamworth Services by an RAC man!
It was my previous van (1999 Peugeot Boxer). It would not recognise any of my keys (I also had the red one with me). The RAC man towed me from in front of the services to the side of the petrol station - he said that should fix it try now - and it started up first time!

Now I always avoid stopping in that area!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anyone heard of this before?? Or can offer an explanation?

Yes. Though I think it was keyfob unlocking. If there is a high powered transmitter nearby it can swamp the signal. I have a feeling it was some new Police radio system blocked keyfobs.

I am surprised it actually damaged the key though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

?

Deleted User
Yes. Though I think it was keyfob unlocking. If there is a high powered transmitter nearby it can swamp the signal. I have a feeling it was some new Police radio system blocked keyfobs.

I am surprised it actually damaged the key though.

That reminded me. In Edinburgh one of the Scottish Widows buildings when driving past and use the vans two way radio the electronic doors would open. We did tell them about this but nothing was done.
BTW some Tesco stores do key cutting service and can also program some keys. They did my old 306 and when i get round to it make me a spare for my Fiat.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
had the same problem a few times with my 4x4, especially at one estate I used to visit frequently in Wales. just certain parking spots though, and they were caused by a warden call radio system. all down to congested radio bands in the frequency used for remote key fobs

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Used to have the same problem on the north York's moors in a car park on the A169 near Goathland (heartbeat country).
The car park is less than 1/2mile from RAF Fylingdales early warning station.
The station emits microwave signals which block fob signals in many vehicles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back