Electrolux 3way fridge experts

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Manic, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Manic

Manic Funster

Ratings:
    +2,947
    i have a problem with my Electrolux RM4401 fridge, it works really well on gas ( well it does until I wrote that) and on 12 volt but does freeze on 240volts.
    It gets cool but not cold enough.
    I pulled the fridge out and checked the element, which is 135 watt , and I got a resistance of 361 ohms with no power turned on, is this reading on the low side.
    So have I got a problem with the element or the thermostat control unit.
    Looking forward to having it out again-not- because I had a real shit fight to get it back in.
    Cheers hopefully

2. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +3,879
    Should be 392 to 428ohms depending on what voltage you calculate at. Don't think there's any problem with the heater, they usually work or they don't.
    If the fridge is freezing food it's a thermostat problem. Is the phial still on the evaporator fins?

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. bigtwin

bigtwin Funster

Ratings:
    +1,264
    The resistance should be around 1 Ohm.

Power 135W = Volts (12) x Amps (11.25)

Resistance = Volts (12) / Amos (11.25) = 1 Ohm

Ian

Edit: Oops, have done the calc for dc! Answer is around 450 ohms so reading looks ok.

4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +22,609
    If the temperature sensor on the fins was faulty it would effect gas as well. Just had a look at the manual and they don't give a rating for mains power, the large Fridge Freezers are 230-270W so at a guess say 180W that would give an element resistance of around 200 ohms. I suspect your element is about to fail and has a high resistant spot along its length.
    For the few quid they cost I would change it and see what happens. If it's a pig to get at don't bother just run on gas, not only is the fridge more efficient it is also cheaper than using mains.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Manic

Manic Funster

Ratings:
    +2,947
    Agree about just run on gas, it just make sense to use on electric when paying for it.

• Like it Like it x 1