ELECTROBLOC ON HYMER B 544 (1999 MODEL) (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2020
Bute, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 544 (1999)
Exp
Since 2019
Good evening everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, and we have only owned our Hymer B544 since May 19. Up to that point, my DIY experience has been boat-related (not too dissimilar...but...)! We have had very few problems with the van, mostly related to inexperience, and I have to say that I am very impressed with the build quality and fit-out. The wiring is, as far as I can see, all original, and for a 20 year old van, in good shape. However, I have hit a real snag, based on my lack of knowledge of the van, and what I expected to see -so I am hoping that some more experienced hands can point me in the right direction.

Anyway, the problem started when I tried to replace the micro-switch in the kitchen tap. An easy enough, if slightly fiddly task.

During the soldering, something , somewhere, fused. Now a large chunk of the circuitry in this part of the can doesn't work! I have traced the switch wires to the pump, (attached to a really difficult to reach multiple connector under the sink. There is no 12v reaching this, whether I use blue or brown as a positive. Here is what I have tried:

• Running 12v to the water pump, so that I know that this is OK -it is.
  • Checking the blade fuse next to the domestic battery - on this model under the passenger seat - both OK. (one controls the Main switch "Hauptschalter" above the rear door).
  • Checking behind the Main Switch panel to see if there is a fuse elsewhere in the system - no joy.
Logic suggests that there must be a secondary switch panel or fuseboard somewhere in the van. But I am darned if I can find it! Reading this forum suggested that I should be looking for an "Eectrobloc" which I understand to be something akin to a master panel.

Before I dismantle more of our pride and joy in my search, can anyone please tell me where this might be (and, if a 1999 model B544 even has one fitted)?

All suggestions gratefully received...! o_O

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Look under the front cab seats.
Always use a multi-meter as the colour of the 12V wires is different to UK.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Good evening everyone,

I am brand new to this forum, and we have only owned our Hymer B544 since May 19. Up to that point, my DIY experience has been boat-related (not too dissimilar...but...)! We have had very few problems with the van, mostly related to inexperience, and I have to say that I am very impressed with the build quality and fit-out. The wiring is, as far as I can see, all original, and for a 20 year old van, in good shape. However, I have hit a real snag, based on my lack of knowledge of the van, and what I expected to see -so I am hoping that some more experienced hands can point me in the right direction.

Anyway, the problem started when I tried to replace the micro-switch in the kitchen tap. An easy enough, if slightly fiddly task.

During the soldering, something , somewhere, fused. Now a large chunk of the circuitry in this part of the can doesn't work! I have traced the switch wires to the pump, (attached to a really difficult to reach multiple connector under the sink. There is no 12v reaching this, whether I use blue or brown as a positive. Here is what I have tried:

• Running 12v to the water pump, so that I know that this is OK -it is.
  • Checking the blade fuse next to the domestic battery - on this model under the passenger seat - both OK. (one controls the Main switch "Hauptschalter" above the rear door).
  • Checking behind the Main Switch panel to see if there is a fuse elsewhere in the system - no joy.
Logic suggests that there must be a secondary switch panel or fuseboard somewhere in the van. But I am darned if I can find it! Reading this forum suggested that I should be looking for an "Eectrobloc" which I understand to be something akin to a master panel.

Before I dismantle more of our pride and joy in my search, can anyone please tell me where this might be (and, if a 1999 model B544 even has one fitted)?

All suggestions gratefully received...! o_O
In the side panel lift up locker by the window....plus fuses in the lift up panel in the glove box...that’s the extent of my electrical knowledge....I expect Lenny HB will be along soon to tell you it’s the 15 ohm middle particle of the elector switch in the main Faraday subsection tri-nomial inverter...but don’t believe a word he says.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In your van the Elektroblock will probably be a EBL99.
This what it looks like.
Screenshot_20200602_215954.jpg

Hymer put them in various places, under the drivers seat (LHD), in the double floor access via external locker door, often a wood panel in front so not obvious. By the sliding passenger window under the lid of the storage box beneath a sliding panel.
If you still can't find it there should be a 50 amp maxi blade fuse near the starter battery the heavy cable connected to it should go to the Elektroblock.

OP
OP
Alisdair
Jun 2, 2020
Bute, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 544 (1999)
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you for the quick replies -what a helpful bunch you are!

Lenny, I have identified 2 Blade fuses next to the domestic battery - I now realise where one of the cables probably goes to!

OP
OP
Alisdair
Jun 2, 2020
Bute, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 544 (1999)
Exp
Since 2019
Thank you for the quick replies -what a helpful bunch you are!

Lenny, I have identified 2 Blade fuses next to the domestic battery - I now realise where one of the cables probably goes to!
However, not in the gas locker - which is a single GRP moulding on the inside. I can't get the wagon onto a ramp for a while to trace any wiring underneath, so will keep looking. I am assuming that there must BE one - ie, that the vehicle isn't so old as not to have one?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
There will be an ELB99 but not in the gas locker. Sit in the cab seats and on one side under the side windows will be a cabinet, usually has a slide top, open this and look for a false bottom that lifts out and you should see it.
Side depending on whether it's left or right hand drive.
Welcome to the fun

:welcome4:
Edit, you don't need to get it on a ramp to find it

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
On the RHD models the electoblok was next to the drivers right hand window under the lift up flap

OP
OP
Alisdair
Jun 2, 2020
Bute, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 544 (1999)
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks Figaro and Denise for the very clear steer - and apologies for the delay in replying. "Work is the curse of the motorhoming man" -to misquote Oscar Wilde .

I have now found the EBL, replaced the fuse and restored some of the functionality. What I cannot figure out is the connections to the shower tap and toilet flush. It appears that there are two live feeds to the multiblock under the sink. One is a standard (but Blue = +ve!) feed, and I have used this to get the Sink tap, Fan, Fridge light and outside light working. So far so good.

The second wire has blue, black and brown strands and runs off under the WC compartment and into the wardrobe. This would appear to be the connection (and switch?) for the shower tap -but I seem to be missing a wire.

This has had me pulling my hair out....!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
(but Blue = +ve!)
Blue +, brown -, standard Motorhome wiring. :rofl:
The second wire has blue, black and brown strands and runs off under the WC compartment and into the wardrobe. This would appear to be the connection (and switch?) for the shower tap -but I seem to be missing a wire.
The tap only needs a live feed, in and out of the switch, the tap wires are normally brown (dont ask) and the wires connecting then often black & brown. Blue could be the live feed to the flush.
Motorhome wiring & colours are a law to themselves.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Figaro and Denise for the very clear steer - and apologies for the delay in replying. "Work is the curse of the motorhoming man" -to misquote Oscar Wilde .

I have now found the EBL, replaced the fuse and restored some of the functionality. What I cannot figure out is the connections to the shower tap and toilet flush. It appears that there are two live feeds to the multiblock under the sink. One is a standard (but Blue = +ve!) feed, and I have used this to get the Sink tap, Fan, Fridge light and outside light working. So far so good.

This has had me pulling my hair out....!
Works of the same pump

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There is a fuse in the cassette compartment if I Remember rightly but had a beer or 3
Only sometimes if there is one not sure if it does anything if it hasn't got its own pump. I know there is no fuse in mine.

OP
OP
Alisdair
Jun 2, 2020
Bute, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 544 (1999)
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks both, I really appreciate it.

At the moment, I am fairly sure there is only one water pump (under RH Bunk/setee) , operated by 3 separate switches (Sink, WC, and Shower). Only the sink works.

The three wires (Brown, Black and Blue(live)) were all connected to the multiblock under the sink. However, I didn't see exactly how before I took them off ! (Beginner's error - however, as I couldn't get my head in there, I will let myself off with that one :mad:) .

What I am trying to figure out is how 3 wires can operate 2 separate switches - and I am not a Leccy!

However, if there is another fuse in the circuit (for the WC system), this will eliminate one potential error. I will check!

OP
OP
Alisdair
Jun 2, 2020
Bute, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 544 (1999)
Exp
Since 2019
Latest on this is, that there is a fuse in the WC compartment - it is in the toilet fan circuit (which works ). So no further forward, unfortunately!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back