LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Although we have decent e-bikes I was thinking of converting my old Specialized Rockhopper for fun, Paul other half of Helen Ariel after talking to him it put me off, he used to work with bikes.
Any comments Paul.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
By law you need a decal showing Voltage, Battery Amp Hour and Speed. Dynotape is acceptable. The exception is a bike completely built be a manufacturer in which case it will have a certificate of conformity to the same effect. So you either lie on your decal about the power, which can leave you open to fraud charges, or use a legal 300 watt set up.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'd love an electric step through scooter (no not a disability scooter!!!). Think of a Vespa but electric. As I am not rolling in spare cash it won't happen :(

And with the hills round here I'd need a powerful battery.

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Any links for 20" conversions more than 250w if possible? Quite tempted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Hi Lenny,

Paul here. Hope you’re keeping safe.

Here’s my tuppence after working in the bike trade for 20 years in various roles from sales on the shop floor to working with industry leading brands in Taiwan.

We sold 2 main ebike brands in the shop 15 years ago; Sparta who were a high end Dutch brand that started off at about £2k. Great product, well integrated, quality componentry & a frame that was built to take the extra weight of the motor & battery. Then there was Powabike/Powacycle. Opposite end of the spectrum starting at about £600. Cheap tat bikes made from the lowest grade steel that was welded by blind men with a conversion kit fitted as an afterthought. They caused us nothing but hassle as they always had issues and were a nightmare to deal with. Spares were impossible to get as they used non-branded componentry, and didn’t list any parts. Built to a price for sure.
With regards to bike conversion kits, they’ve always been a bit Heath Robinson in my experience. Heavy, cheap componentry that doesn’t last, poor quality materials etc but they do a job and come in at an attractive price. Perhaps that’s the attraction, and I suppose it keeps the cost down of you are only trying it out. Inevitably they don’t let that well, or don’t function as well as a purpose built ebike from one of the better known brands.

In my opinion do yourself a favour and save up to buy a branded bike from Trek, Specialized etc, rather than buying one for a few hundred quid. You’ll enjoy it far more, and because of that you‘ll end up riding it more, for longer. You’ll also be able to get spares if you need them, including replacement batteries etc. These brands also have lifetime warranties on frames etc, and if you go to a good shop you’ll get sound advice and a test ride on various models.

There’s a saying amongst enthusiast cyclists that life’s too short to ride shit bikes. It’s good advice.

As an addendum, my neighbour quizzed me on this very subject, ignored my advice and bought a conversion kit for his cheap city bike. He admitted to me a couple of weeks later that he wished he’d listened as it was proving to be pretty unreliable with intermittent range.

Stay safe everyone. If you’ve any questions I’m happy to offer advice.

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back