Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
ok another dumb question :Doh:
in my Hymer i have a few, what look like small cigar lighter sockets. ( i presume these are 12 v, right?)
also (presumably) the main sockets are 240v and will only work when hooked up, right?)

therefore do i need to use the cigar sockets when wild off the leisure battery and if so can i run something like the ramoska from them and is there an adapter? for them

cheers,
Herbies

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
yes yes and via a inverter {depending on power requirement} regards garry

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
They are most likely "hella" plugs.. Common in continetal vans and fitted in trucks and on motorbikes.. Like a cigarette plug just smaller..
Search ebay, loads on there and you can get adaptors..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
They are not cigarette lighter type sockets but are Hella Sockets and use a different plug. Some cigarette plugs have a red cap on the bottom that can be removed to make them into Hella Plugs.

You need an inverter preferably wired to the leisure battery direct to run 240v appliances. They will drag your battery down quickly.

Better to use gas and a double skillet or a pan than trying to run mains equipment such as Remoska, slow cooker or pup up toasters.

A mains caravan kettle will need a 1000w to 1500w inverter. The Remoska is 750w A Pop up toaster is about 1000w

100w at 12v is about 8 amps draw. Then you need to add the losses incurred by the inverter.

1000w would be taking about 80 to 100 amps from your battery.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The maximum current that you can draw from those 12v sockets will be either 10 or 15 amps. That's ok for a light, or charging a phone or laptop - either directly via a 12v charger or via a small inverter. But it's nowhere near enough for anything that uses heat - so forget kettles or any kind of cooking device.

If you want to run anything more major from the leisure batteries via an inverter larger than about 150W, then you must wire the inverter directly to the battery, not through those sockets.

It's a job for someone who has a good understanding of autoelectrics.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back