Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
all of a sudden the electrics in my van have stopped working. the 12 volts ok and ive still got tv and every thing else but no working fridge.ive checked all the fuses and their ok so does anyone know what the problem might be.were going to the northern show tomorrow it couldn't happen at a worst time steve:Sad:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Is the fridge working off the gas?

OP
OP
S

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
Exp
im a newbie
when the orange light didn't come on I presumed the fridge didn't work. so I will go out and check that this morning thanks steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
The fridge won't run off the battery when stationary. It only uses 12v when you're driving.

When parked up it needs either 240v via the electric hook up or run it on gas.

I think you may be seeing the warning light because the fridge is set to use battery but your van engine is not running.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Our fridge does not work on 12 volt unless the engine is running. Check that the fridge works (ignites) when on gas, this will prove that there is a 12 volt supply reaching the fridge.

OP
OP
S

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
Exp
im a newbie
tes it runs off the battery ok when engines running. ot as 3 lights red for battery green for electric and orange for the flicker light when running on gas.but the problem is when I put the hook up to the van from our house its not accepting the electric for some reason therefore have no fridge when on site as suggested by chris I have tried it on gas but theres nothing there to spark it off as the orange flicker light does not come on regards steve

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Steve. Have you checked your hook up cable, it might be that? Try something in the van that you know only works on 240v. A hair dryer or something.

I don't think the igniter for the gas depends on 240v though.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thats a strange one.

Hopefully someone will come along with an answer for you.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
So when you said the electrics have failed in the van, do you mean just on the fridge? I'm afraid you might have confused some of us.

The fridge control is 12v (not the refrigeration part, the control panel part). If you have any LED's lit and the light inside the fridge comes on then you have 12v to the fridge.

Is the fridge AES (Automatic Energy Select)? If it is then when it senses 240vac it won't run off gas. However, if the 240v heater element is faulty the fridge won't cool. Unplug from the mains hook up, turn on the gas bottle and see if the fridge will run properly off gas.

On non-AES fridges the ignitor has a battery (AA or AAA) in the ignitor button. Check this is not flat / installed correctly.

If it's a 12v ignition system then possibly this has failed, preventing it running on gas.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back