Electrics plug sockets (1 Viewer)

MrsMe

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
morning all,
Just a quick question....
Are the plug sockets supposed to work when your not hooked up or do you only rely on the leisure battery?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Generally unless your vehicle is fitted with an inverter then the sockets will only work when on hook up. If you have an inverter this will convert the 12v DC power to 240v AC power. However, you more often than not need a larger battery to cater for the inverter.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I reckon as Mrsme doesn't understand how mains sockets work then an inverter will be completely impossible to understand.

Just going to confuse matters even more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrsMe

MrsMe

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
Papa john... your correct but have had a google! hahaha
But not sure what size to get!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't worry about until you have used the van for a while, most things can be run off 12v, we only fitted an inverter to charge the e-bikes.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not knocking the op or anyone else as it's a common question , but how can anyone not understand the difference between 12v and mains, even in motorhome showrooms they have vans hooked up and to anyone who doesn't understand it must come as a complete shock when things don't work like they did in the showroom, is it never explained?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Depends what you want to do with it. For a hairdryer, you can get a reasonable travel one which runs on 1200W and an inverter of say 1500W would suffice for this. If you also want to recharge electric toothbrushes you need a pure sine one. The price of these has come down recently but there have been reports of unreliability - but mine is still going strong, at the moment. :)
I did a thread about fitting mine. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fitting-a-1500w-inverter.156023/
You don't need to add a relay so the sockets change over automatically, most installations just have one or two sockets which are only powered by the inverter.

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Not much good buying a 1500W inverter if you don't have the battery bank to run it. That said, if you introduce more batteries you then throw another spanner into the works - payload.:eek:

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Solar panels would help to charge leisure batteries while you use the inverter? Assuming we have some sun!
The solar won't do anything while you are using an inverter for something like a hairdryer or coffee machine. But it should replace the energy used over the next few hours. I've found, with two 90Ah batteries, they are recharged after a bit of hair drying in an hour or so, that's with 190W of solar and assuming the sun is shining.

Battery capacity is an issue. I think you need two batteries to be on the safe side, but it all depends on what you are running and for how long. If you only run the hairdryer for a couple of minutes one battery would be enough if you keep an eye on the voltage. If you want to run a microwave you may need more than two. :)

Recharging from solar won't be influenced by how many batteries you have. Energy taken out has to be replaced so it should take the same amount of time in theory. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
try to run as much as possible on 12v or gas, fridge only goes to 12v when driving unless its a compressor type its possible to drain a battery in minutes with an invertor post on here what you need to power?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrsMe

MrsMe

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
The fridge can run off gas the only thing I can think of at the moment that requires 240v is a small tv and a kettle, although I could boil a kettle of the cooker

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The fridge can run off gas the only thing I can think of at the moment that requires 240v is a small tv and a kettle, although I could boil a kettle of the cooker
I think you will find everyone has a kettle they boil on the hob. A 12v TV will be more efficent than using a 240v one off an inverter.

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
So hands up here, I have only ever looked in a new MH once when they pitched next to us when camping. So I have no idea about plugs voltage etc.

But I'm understanding through the post that there are 2 types of plugs 12v (like in cars?) and 240v, the 240 v work electrical plugs only when EHU is used.

If you use anything electric when you are not hooked up you need an inverter or it has to 12v.

Are most MH fitted with ones of these or is it an addition that you have to put one in.? We have one that we used in the car before we camped with EHU to charge phones would that be the same sort of thing, but on a larger scale, it is about the size of a pkt of digestives.

Is that right please ?

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You are correct. Most MH do not come with a fitted inverter as there are lots of variables to consider.
Firstly is there a good enough leisure battery to provide the charge. Many people with inverters fit a battery bank of two or more batteries. This then raises more issues of weight(loss to payload) and space.
Then these batteries have to be charged up. Mostly people fit a solar panel (or two or three).
So much depends on individual needs.

We have never used an inverter. Our devices can all be charged using 12 volt car plug type connectors with USB outlets.
The TV is 12 volt.
We can cook and boil kettle on the gas hob and everything electrical fitted to the MH(lights, pumps for water, ignition for fridge and hob) can work off 12 volts.
You wouldn't get much time with a kettle, for example, out of one battery charge and it would take all day to get the charge back in with solar. Just not worth it.

Every few days we tend to make sure we are on a campsite to use the showers (I have a lot of hair and too difficult to wash it in MH). Then we use EHU to charge bike batteries). We can also then service the MH and dump waste and fill with fresh water.

Don't worry about an inverter, I don't think it will be top of your priority list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
So the sort of things we take camping , toaster, kettle, coffee machine, hair straighteners, hairdryer and radio all need to 12v things.
But your TV isn't so that would be a normal plug then?

lol my heads hurting lol

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
You take all these camping?
You must be on hook up then.

Yep they are normal plugs from home that we use, I thought all MH just had plugs like at home, had no idea until this post that they were 12v, so I need to get 12v things then ?

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yep they are normal plugs from home that we use, I thought all MH just had plugs like at home, had no idea until this post that they were 12v, so I need to get 12v things then ?

Looks like a lot of crossed wires here so to speak.

You will have 240v sockets in the moho that will only work on hook up.

You will have 12v car type sockets that will work off the hab battery
The hab battery will also be recharged on hook up so you can use the 12v and 240v on hook up.

You can only use the 12v if not on hook up

You can fit and use an inverter that takes 12v to 240v but its very inefficient way of using your hab battery and runs it down quickly.

Any clearer? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Looks like a lot of crossed wires here so to speak.

You will have 240v sockets in the moho that will only work on hook up.

You will have 12v car type sockets that will work off the hab battery
The had battery will also be recharged on hook up so you can use the 12v and 240v on hook up.

You can only use the 12v if not on hook up

You can fit and use an inverter that takes 12v to 240v but its very inefficient way of using your hab battery and runs it down quickly.

Any clearer? :)

Ahhh yes thank you so I don't need to replace stuff then and just buy a kettle for the hob, thank you xx

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
So the sort of things we take camping , toaster, kettle, coffee machine, hair straighteners, hairdryer and radio all need to 12v things.
But your TV isn't so that would be a normal plug then?

lol my heads hurting lol
Mine too! You take those things Camping?:eek:
My camping consisted of one gas burner and one torch. Toast done in frying pan!

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Mine too! You take those things Camping?:eek:
My camping consisted of one gas burner and one torch. Toast done in frying pan!

Lol ours is a 6 berth inflatable beast, bedroom , lounge and porch area for kitchen. 440 x 700, we moved from 4 berth up to 6 hated not having enough room, plus our dog.

Glamped I wpuld call it, electric blanket if we were in the Uk as well :cold:

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Hope that has answered the original question. Unless you are on hookup, the only power you have is 12v and that comes from the Leisure (habitation) battery. leaving the starter battery to do its job in the morning
Always have a gas kettle, on your travels keep an eye open for Low Wattage 240v items for when you are on hook up, especially abroad you wont have as much mains power as you expect. A typical site may well offer 6 amps which is 6x240 ie 1500watts, so the kettle from home is too powerful, as is a toaster.
You should be able find both at around 750 or 1000 watts and you just get used to using them one at a time, of course on some Club sites you might get more electric , some will claim 16amp supplies ie 3500 watts or more but its better to equip yourself with the lower wattage units which dont take that much longer to work, anyway your on holiday!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back