Electrics now caputt !! Opinions on new idea ? (1 Viewer)

S

sallysludgebucket

Deleted User
I have a 21 year old Fiat Ducato 1.3T with a GT Sarassota coachbuilt Conversion, ( very little known about it, never seen another and neiter has anyone else with the side door ) which was 4 berth, with the new seats is now a 6 berth.

The zig panel is a CF8, the auxillary battery wires are situated under the passenger seat but I am running on a single battery currently as we had no power through the leads and I have to find a new home for the battery. We drive every day and the 'Sludgemobile' is my only motor so never a problem with the battery even dulling. I may incorperate a battery under the seats when I do the work to raise them.

I did get an electrician, he forced the RCD which I already knew was buggered up as it was ticking like a bomb when connected, and flew across the van, making an impromptue visit to my bathroom. But then what do I know, I am only a woman thankfully one that has the greatest respect for electricity !

A previous notorious problem with the top hot water outlet on the carver water heater ( now rectified thanks to advice folks ! ) resulted in a watefall under the seat, where the electric box is situated. Now I know its totally up the duff, I am considering having a waterproof enclosure ( have bought one already for the shed, which may be built one day ! ) more for peace of mind than anything. As my touring companion and myself are both disabled, it would seem the opertunity to raise all the seating upto a more managable height, which would also enable the consumer box to be raised from the floor if the wiring has enough slack.

The breaker unit ( the fusey bit itself ) is GEC and not available, just wondered if anyone had any contacts for stockists of older lecky components ? Would remove the need for a complete new consumer box, if the thing has lasted 21 years, it cant be that bad !

The fridge vent seems to be the only access to the wiring, I now have a new vent so can attempt to remove the weathered one to inspect and get the fridge checked as it just wont have it on gas. Was fine on mains, freezes the milk on 12v if I am not carefull ! LOL

PS. I don't use much electric on a bad day at home, even less while away as I am an angling coach. Its just handy to have when at home to run the dehumidifier, chill the fridge and a heater for a few days here and their, only two sockets and no lights on mains.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g161/sallysludgebucket/AAAA0006.jpg

100D1082.jpg

CHeers in advance of opinions, SSB:Cool:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
That looks similiar to the modern equivalents, wouldn't have thought it a problem to replace with a new unit.

Just make sure the mains hook up is disconnected, make a diagram of the wiring connections before you remove the old one and rewire new one in same fashion.

Regards

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sallysludgebucket

Deleted User
Cheers for the prompt reply, all I have had so far from people that really should know better is a lot of wind sucking and tuts and it will be expensive ! LOL

It seems common sense if I am having a new unit to have a waterproof one to the new standard. If it was a home the water heater ( prone to empressions of old faithfull ! ) and the fuse box would be as far apart as possible, and certainly not situated on the floor next to a water pump !

I know the sludgemobile is 21 years old, but that doesnt mean a bit of common sense can't be implimented.

Here is a pic of the waterproof boxes, I know I will have to try and find one with lower amps, but you get the gist ?
100D1133.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have recently fitted one in My Dodge and well chuffed with it.

I would say you are best off replacing the unit as you can never be too careful with mains electricity.

Replacement units MCB's etc are available at different current ratings as you know.

As long as you are in the rough vicinity Current Wise You'll be ok.

Just as long as it's under the rating of the mains cabling installed in the van.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
To be honest i don't like the sound of your electrician!
A good sparky would find the fault without much trouble and replacement parts wouldn't be too expensive!
If you were near to lancashire i would have a look myself!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sallysludgebucket

Deleted User
Cheers all, the parts are obsolete as they are 22 years old, I did consider second hand from a breakers but parts will also be over 20 years old and as we all know, don't mess with electrics.

The curley haired electrician is now not my electrician, I actually doubt he was anything other than an odd job man with a bit of a certificate he downloaded from the net after seeing his testing methods, have to admit he was highly entertaining zapping round the van though ! LOL

Thats sorted, booking it in and having the waterproof box fitted after I raise the seats up. If the wiring isnt upto scratch or not quite long enough I will have that replaced as well.

Cheers for all the replies.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back