Electrics mind of it's own (1 Viewer)

Koi

Free Member
Jan 29, 2018
Funster No
Hi, hoping i can get some advice on two accounts please.
We have a Bessacar E695, on a 2010 plate, Fiat Ducato traction.
Recently the leisure battery gassed, whilst on charge in the garden. We replaced the battery, like for like and is charging fine, circuit tested etc. We have MH on electrical supply over winter for heating, damp etc.
Prior to the original battery gassing, the passenger indicator light came on and went off, varying lengths of time. What is strange, no key in ignition. Recently the running light also came on , went off and continued to do this, again no key in ignition. in Both cases lights have come on when MH is not on electrics as well, suggesting it is Fiat issue i assume.
My issues are MH is in back garden down farm track, so cannot get out of garden due to boggy conditions.
It has been suggested that problem is either a relay, short or Zig unit. Does anyone have any ideas please?
Also does anyone know of a good automotive electrical engineer nr Spalding who could come and have a look, as i cant get it to a dealer.
Many thanks for any help or advice

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The first thing that crossed my mind reading your post was could it be a few mice messing with your electrics..:(
I hope not but a van sitting unused developing electrical faults on different circuis definitely a possibility worth checking..
Andy..

OP
OP
K

Koi

Free Member
Jan 29, 2018
Funster No
Hi, thanks for posting.
Yes we do live in an area where we have fields etc behind us. I have looked inside MH but cant see anything that would suggest mice activity. I gues to kind of remove possibility will need to set some traps etc as well getting electrical circuit check

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

OP
OP
K

Koi

Free Member
Jan 29, 2018
Funster No
Hi Sonny thanks for coming back, i think damp is a good possibility as it faces straight into the wind and rain. Heating internally is left on all over the winter and habitation checks are all good, which makes me suspect relay or shorting, possibility caused by damp. Trying to understand what relay is a nightmare as Ducato relay diagram says it is behind drivers seat on the pillar. Have checked both drivers side and passenger side, removed cover but no relays.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The only link between the hab battery and cab electric is the split charge system and any lights on the cab/fiat electrics will have no effect on the hab battery and visa versa.

A gassing battery is a battery being excessively overcharged, I would be looking at the onboard charger before anything else.
Battery discharge load would have to be far higher than you will find in a motorhome to boil the battery....ie: a dead short.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back