electrics HELP! (1 Viewer)

Aug 25, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Can anyone help me unravel confusion--I have(woops WE have!) aCompass Avant gard 300 04 plate. When we plug in mains I believe this charges Leisure battery and gives mains for fridge and 13amp sockets. I believe Alternator supplies vehicle battery AND leisure battery.
The trip box in wardrobe has a trip marked Battery charger .Where is this? and now my friend tells me when blue site supply is plugged in for leisure battery etc it should charge vehicle battery as well????
Also can I run engine while parked and plugged in to 240 supply as leisure battery getting alternator/ mains charge??
answers in simple terms please
Thanks

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I can't answer your question re electricity however I can put you right re: your ownership status of the vehicle.
It's YOURS when there's a problem
It belongs to BOTH of you when you don't have a problem. Simples.

Someone with a brain will be along shortly to answer your question

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Not all together on different makes and models but some do charge engine battery on mains and some don't. Most can have the engine running on hook up but some will disable all 12v when tr engine starts and some will even prevent the engine from starting on mains..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Can anyone help me unravel confusion--I have(woops WE have!) aCompass Avant gard 300 04 plate. When we plug in mains I believe this charges Leisure battery and gives mains for fridge and 13amp sockets. I believe Alternator supplies vehicle battery AND leisure battery.
The trip box in wardrobe has a trip marked Battery charger .Where is this? and now my friend tells me when blue site supply is plugged in for leisure battery etc it should charge vehicle battery as well????
Also can I run engine while parked and plugged in to 240 supply as leisure battery getting alternator/ mains charge??
answers in simple terms please
Thanks
Can't help with charger location and whether vehicle battery charges off mains ,as I'm not familiar with your van...
There shouldn't be a problem running engene/alternator while connected to mains unless there is a device fitted that prevents it..
Say to stop you driving off with mains cable connected...
But electrically I would say it would just be another charging source.
Ta Andy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our first van was an 04 Autoquest 100 (similar to the Avantgarde 100 which was the little brother of the 300).

I can't remember where the charger location would be but it doesn't charge the starter battery, only the leisure battery. I fitted a Battery Charge Manager (BCM 12) from CAK Tanks (other types are available) to overcome that problem.

Starting the engine whilst the EHU was plugged in wasn't recommended as it could cause a problem (can't remember the details now) but I did, inadvertently, start ours once or twice and got away with it.

OP
OP
motorhomer1
Aug 25, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
thanks to all for responses,will give GJH BCM12 a go

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I can only help you from our van. When on EHU I have to switch the charger on (it's in cupboard over fridge). There's switches for pump, gauges for fresh water level and grey water level and lastly a switch that has off in the middle then main and auxiliary. This one I take it as 12v power off and running on main (starter battery) and auxiliary on leisure batteries.
If I start the engine everything in the hab area goes off except the fridge. My engine does charge my leisure batteries but my EHU does not charge my starter battery.
Hope that helps. (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s a bit of a Minefield, Older ones, had "Caravan" style systems, (often by "plugin systems"). and are only a "battery maintainer" type, and not connected to the Vehicle battery. Later ones are more sophisticated, and will charge both Batteries, Mine even has a "solar" connection!!.

If you can find the manufacturer you may be able to access the website, sometimes the info is there?. In some (most?) caravans the unit is under a seat behind the Fuse/Trip Box?.

Take no notice of the Avtar, that my Old R-V. and they are a whole different ball of wax!!.

Good luck

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back