Electrics......Help needed. (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2021
Chislehurst, Kent
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425
Exp
Good evening guys n gals,
I have just plugged my new baby into the mains via my EHU, and seem to have a few issues, and hoping someone on here can offer help or advice.

So, firstly, all plug sockets seem to be working ok, lights not working at all, Microwave works fine, Fridge however does not appear to be working.
Lights work when I switch to the leisure battery, however Fridge does not. So may have problems with the fridge....
Basically, I am a complete idiot when it comes to anything electrical, and need help from people with more knowledge than me, basically everyone on here...
Also, if anybody knows a good Motorhome sparky in SE London / Kent, that would be brill.....

Thanks in advance,

Johnny

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year

seems to know what he is doing, never used him but nealry had habitation done with him

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
check all fuses, or trips in the mains ehu.
seems just could be the fuse for the lights.
Maybe do you have to switch on the lights via a main switch first

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
The fridge will only work on gas or 230v ( if plugged in to mains) when parked up, and 12v fridge operation should only work when the engine is running (if a 3 x way fridge).
It may be that it is set up for the lights only to work off the leisure battery to avoid the starter battery being run down if they where left on for to long.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Johnnygooner
Jul 4, 2021
Chislehurst, Kent
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425
Exp
You guys are just awesome.....Thank you so much.
Yeah, I am planning on checking the fuses tomorrow after work, Fridge being silent and taking a while is great info, that may be ok then..
Thank you all once again.....

(£5 rise in subs is looking like a real bargain.....)

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Can't help with the lights but should add that people seem to get better results by keeping the settings low for the fridge temp. First time you use it it is very tempting to turn the setting up for coolest temp but I (and others) find it works better on a low setting as it's not asking the fridge to work as hard.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The 240v sockets, microwave and fridge will be powered directly via your mains distribution unit when on EHU so that seems to be O.K.
As said already the fridge will take an hour or so to show any cooling at all. Put a thermometer inside if you have one or feel inside the freezer box for any cold or frosting.

The lights will almost certainly be 12v and supplied by the leisure battery which needs to be switched on and will/should be being charged by your onboard charger when on EHU and by the vehicle alternator when driving.

The fridge will only operate on a 12v supply when the engine is running. It is almost certainly not wired to run off the leisure battery when the engine is stopped as it would quickly flatten the leisure battery.

(Distracted away whilst writing but as I've done a reply I'll post it).

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Fridge advice as above, it's not like a house fridge and takes a bit of getting used to the quirks in the design

The van interior lights are almost definitely powered from the leisure battery via fuse and switch. When on mains, it just means the charger is keeping the leisure battery topped up. Perfectly normal

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The lights always work of of 12v leisure batteries, like most stuff in the van. Pretty much, for most, the only things that don‘t are things that are plugged into the 240v sockets, as these only work when you are connected to electrical hook up.
Is your fridge an auto power sensing/switching fridge or do you have to manually select it’s power source?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Johnnygooner
Jul 4, 2021
Chislehurst, Kent
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425
Exp
Unbelievable.....Having been a member of this forum for nearly a month now, I knew it was good....I never realised it was AWESOMELY BRILLIANT......

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful advice and assistance, I knew I would get some help, but....WOW....I am sooooo impressed.

This site just keeps getting better and better....Thank you all,
xxxxxxxxxx

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with the photo in the OPs avatar, I would be hesitant to give absolute advice on what will be standard on his van. Some vans had a couple of mains powered lights as well as the 12v ones

Best advice going forward is to change any older "bulbs" (lamps) for LED types. They last longer and take much less current to run from the battery. One old 10watt halogen takes as much power as all the LEDs in most newer vans. So a battery could possibly last 10 days off grid compared to 4 or 5 as we used to have before recharging is needed.

Anyone else remember dropping your battery at the site office/shop in the morning on a campsite, go out for the day and collect to refit it at tea time? Went out with the old freezer blocks to put in cool boxes to keep food fresh, but it's what a lot of us did

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back