Mar 12, 2012
NORTH WALES
Funster No
MH
ROLLERTEAM 70
Exp
SINCE 2009
hi all,
just joined so here goes with my first post, so please bear with me.
got myself a briefcase type solar panel today,so went to connect up to leasure battery(under pass seat):cry: and welded crocadile clip to seat base, now control panel wont work only if i use engine or e.h.u, checked all the fuses i can find, all o.k.
panel showing leasure battery not holding charge, batt is only a few months old, is it possible i have ruined the battery or is there any hidden fuses.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, i assume you mean the croc clip was on the pos battery post AND touching the seat base ?

all that would do is put a massive load/drain on the battery but wouldn't blow any fuses unless they are on the earth side (doubtful) but could cause internal damage to the battery.

how long was the clip touching the base., ?

can you check the battery voltage with a multi/volt meter ?

try removing the battery leads at the posts and give them a clean then refix and check voltage/charge again......could be the sudden high load has caused a high resistance in the post connection/s

as an aside....always connect the briefcase solar panel to the battery with it closed.....no sun, no power.

OP
OP
O

ONSLAUGHT

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
NORTH WALES
Funster No
MH
ROLLERTEAM 70
Exp
SINCE 2009
Hi, i assume you mean the croc clip was on the pos battery post AND touching the seat base ?

all that would do is put a massive load/drain on the battery but wouldn't blow any fuses unless they are on the earth side (doubtful) but could cause internal damage to the battery.

how long was the clip touching the base., ?

can you check the battery voltage with a multi/volt meter ?

try removing the battery leads at the posts and give them a clean then refix and check voltage/charge again......could be the sudden high load has caused a high resistance in the post connection/s

as an aside....always connect the briefcase solar panel to the battery with it closed.....no sun, no power.
thanks pappajohn, clip was touching base for about 4/5 secs, will try cleaning posts, if thats not the answer will take batt and get it checked. thanks again, barney.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks pappajohn, clip was touching base for about 4/5 secs, will try cleaning posts, if thats not the answer will take batt and get it checked. thanks again, barney.
i dont think a few seconds will have killed the battery Barney.

you could try removing it and charging it 'on the bench' to see if it will accept and hold a charge.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
I would just take battery back to the shop and not say a word about what happened.
Just say you went away and the battery was not charged when you got there....

And hope they exchange it.

Good luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back