Electrical techies answer please. (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Anomaly time !

It is generally accepted that 12V is fully discharged, why are you showing over 80% ?

Hi Brian if it was only 80 % for both leccy and genny why would it make a difference ?They both were tested from the same start line IE 80 % -- I need educating again ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Anomaly time !

It is generally accepted that 12V is fully discharged, why are you showing over 80% ?

Hi Brian, quite right to ask. But this is because the system was being loaded. The moment I turn off the hair dryer the voltage increased just as it does when ever you run something.

As terry says? Woud it make any difference?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
so to summarise...

Through this exercise you now have tangible evidence to prove to Nikki that you really did need the B2B after all and it isn't just another gadget for the van:winky:

or....

you'd previously spent a load of dosh on solar panels and a generator... when a B2B would have done the job, but since you have the other 2 you'll have to take them with you and use up valuable beer/wine etc load rather than admitting to Nikki that youve wasted a load of dosh that could have fed and clothed the family..:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Motorhoming and the pursuit for power? Don't you just love it :thumb:

Well, I've just waded through all this motorhome 'techy' stuff and it makes me so happy that I sold mine and bought a caravan.. :thumb:

drive up, un-hitch, plug in to a nice 16A EHU, sit back and watch a big telly with a cuppa ... no worries about B2B, solar, noisy gennies, and how many ah do I have left .. all this motorhome power bollox is just too much expense and hard work .. :winky:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Genny is beaten by my house... so again I must ask why? what happened?

Your house is fed by a BFO generator bigger than your village. It delivers what it says on the tin. 230 V ±10% (207 V to 253 V).

Your genny is a piddling little thing with a complex electronics package to fake the mains.

You'd need to accurately measure just what the mains supplies and what the genny supplies. The mains could be 250V, the genny set to 220V or a bit less. The "Pure Sine Wave" might not be quite as pure as they would like when you hit it with your charger.

When working on such tests you cannot rely on your domestic volt meter, you need an RMS voltmeter to give the true voltage.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
drive up, un-hitch, plug in to a nice 16A EHU, sit back and watch a big telly with a cuppa ... no worries about B2B, solar, noisy gennies, and how many ah do I have left .. all this motorhome power bollox is just too much expense and hard work .. :winky:

You mean caravans don't have a leisure battery ?

I know nothing of these things.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Paul

I noted your voltage during charging by the B2B charger was 13.9V. Then again, your B2B is set to 'sealed lead acid' to suit your batteries.
Ours performs bulk charging at 14.8V, set for open lead acid to suit our traction batteries.

It demonstrates that you mustn't forget to reset the B2B charger when you get your new traction batteries after convincing Nikki that last year's fashion looks great on her!::bigsmile:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, I've just waded through all this motorhome 'techy' stuff and it makes me so happy that I sold mine and bought a caravan.. :thumb:

you wont be going on any rallies any time soon then Jim......No hookup, No genny and No battery....god, that would be a boring rally after dark. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Paul mate, yer solar aint working.
#its showing error code 13 and you have a blue wire hanging out.

Broken Link Removed

and if you think the battery is fully charged, why is the monitor showing 0.8amp charge ?????? :roflmto:

Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Anomaly time !

Cos he's pulling 96amps Brian.

stick a volt meter on an engine battery, disable the ignition(pull the plug leads off) and start cranking....the meter will show around 9volts during cranking....doesnt mean its flat....and once you stop cranking it will go back to 12.6v.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
John, Post one of yours refers to my solar charger,

For the process of this experiment it was disconnected, failure to read my posts properly in the future may result in you being punished for not paying attention. :RollEyes:

As for your second comment, That was prior to disconnection and some discharge had been experienced by me setting up the experiment by rightfully testing my equipment for the experiment. How on earth did you ever get an A in this subject?

Now, can I have the answer please?

You have had long enough. :Eeek:

should you wish to replicate this experiment yourself, may I suggest you not using a hairdryer, with your mop it will take a nuclear power station to dry yours,
Techno however has less hair than I.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
John, Post one of yours refers to my solar charger,

For the process of this experiment it was disconnected, failure to read my posts properly in the future may result in you being punished for not paying attention. :RollEyes:

As for your second comment, That was prior to disconnection and some discharge had been experienced by me setting up the experiment by rightfully testing my equipment for the experiment. How on earth did you ever get an A in this subject?

Now, can I have the answer please?

You have had long enough. :Eeek:

should you wish to replicate this experiment yourself, may I suggest you not using a hairdryer, with your mop it will take a nuclear power station to dry yours,
Techno however has less hair than I.

well Paul,
point 1.... I know it was...i was taking the piss :roflmto:

point 2.....that means your experiment was flawed from the outset...results null and void !!!

and lastly, i wondered why you were using a hairdrier when the warmth of your overhead lights would dry it in seconds.
while 'drying' your hair, did you comb it through as well ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back