Electrical Problem!! (1 Viewer)

carpyg

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
Hi All. I wondered if anyone could help me? I have purchased a motorhome, McLouis. I have changed the leisure battery for a new one and now for some reason after about 1 min - 1.5 min the electrics cut out. This even happens when the van is plugged into the 240. I have checked the fuse box for the leisure battery side of things, and everything seems to be A Ok! Help?????? :cry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
for some reason after about 1 min - 1.5 min the electrics cut out. This even happens when the van is plugged into the 240.

hi and welcome to the fun :Smile:

we need more information... what is tripping ?

is it the main EHU switch for the 230v supply or is it on the DC side ?

OP
OP
C

carpyg

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
Thank you for the welcome:Smile:.

What actually happens is when I reconnect the leisure battery the power comes back on for about a minute then everything goes off (internally) and it sounds like it is clicking from the fuse board behind the passenger seat. No fuses have blown though each time. Sorry, I am new to all this so not sure on all the technical terms yet!! Does that sound like a common fault?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I'm second guessing here so may well be wrong, but in the assuption that its the habitation lighting etc that goes after a minute, it would seem that the new leisure battery has either been reverse connected or needs a good charge. It's possible that the charge is so low that the 230v to 12v electronics cannot cope with the current demand to charge. Is it a much bigger battery than was originally fitted?

If you are convinced it has been correctly connected, I would suggest a good off-board using a good quality battery charger and then try again. Alternatively you could try connecting the battery, putting the mains connector on but make sure everything else if off or disconnected. This may allow the on-board charger to cope with the demand as its only having to convert 230v down to 12v at enough current to charge the battery and not additional lighting, 12v Tv etc. etc.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like the new battery is so deeply discharged it wont accept a charge.
the other possibility is its got an internal fault.

as meanders said, use a good standalone charger overnight, leave off charge for an hour then check voltage with a multimeter.

on hookup it could be the charger is working too hard and the overload protection is cutting in.

if the voltage is so low then the relay you hear may activate, draw a few milliamps too much from the dead battery, and switch out again repeatedly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back