electrical problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by peter marshall, Jun 3, 2009.

1. peter marshall

peter marshall

Ratings:
    +1,714
    Hi I have a problem with my electrics, at the moment no 12v power when I put the switch to 12v position, but when I am NOT plugged in to mains supply BUT with the switch in the mains position ie not 12v I have the power I should have on12v if the switch was in that position ??? I hope I have explained the problem properly, PS I have had this problem just recently but it went ok on its own ,but now as done it again, any ideas please, Peter::

2. philw111

philw111 Funster

Ratings:
    +551
    Hi Peter

Not sure I entirely understand what your problem is:Blush: but the following might help.

When I had a problem a couple of years ago with the 12V system not working as it should (leisure battery not charging properly, fridge not working while on move) I went to a local caravan repair shop who said it sounded like a relay problem but they were unable to cure it immediately (having checked the battery and surrounding cables) and referred me back to dealer. As this was Barrons (and I had never got any help from them previously :Angry:) I decided to try and work it out for myself.

First step, check/tighten the connections on the leisure battery...PROBLEM SOLVED::bigsmile:.

Moral of the story - try the simplest solutions. It's amazing how often they work.

Good luck.
    Phil

3. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick

Ratings:
    +11
    You say you get 12v in the mains position, are you hooked up when this happens?

4. peter marshall

peter marshall

Ratings:
    +1,714
    Hi no not plugged in, so i dont understand what,s going on

5. Tony Lee

Tony Lee

Ratings:
    +1

Peter, are you talking about just your fridge, or the whole habitation area 12v supply.

6. peter marshall

peter marshall

Ratings:
    +1,714
    Hi all it was all 12v habitation battery connections where ok but the 20amp battery fuse had blown aia changed it and all seems ok now BUT I do not know what blew it so I will have to wait and see if it goes again. Many Thanks Peter.:thumb:

7. peter marshall

peter marshall

Ratings:
    +1,714
    looks like the leisure batteries are not charging , all 12v works when engine running or as just been running but nothing when vans been stood for a while, both batts new last year. fuyse not blown any ideas????