Electrical power (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Duo S
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi hope you can help .
I have just bought a Hymer Duo S took it for three weeks around Scotland and was brilliant .When I ordered the van I wanted air con as I expect to be in Spain during the summer .Unfortunately as the van had two panoramic ceiling hatches rather than the standard the dealer could not fit a ceiling air con unit . They Dealer also had no idea as to any other Option. I found a portable option coolmycampervan a bit of a pain as will have to fabricate a panel for the sliding window .If I am plugged in on a site not a problem but if wild camping an issue .I though the answer was a second battery ,solar panel and an inverter .
The portable air con uses 1.88 amps 220-240 volts with a power use of 450 Watts.Start up current under 3.0 ams for <1 second.They recommend a minimum 700w Pure Sine inverter.
My dealer quoted me £ 935 for 155w solar panel and £1870 for a 1800w inverter the smallest one they do !
I have an electric fridge no tv and led lights .My heating and hot water is diesel.I am based in the midlands.
Could I have any thoughts or ideas from you on what to do please.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
That's 37.5 amps at 12v. Forget it without hook up.
You can get ducted AC units that go under the bench seats anyway.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You can get your solar panel for around £100 or less and a psw inverter of around 1500w for about £150. A bit of diy could save you a fortune. There are also air con units that fit at floor level if there is no suitable roof vent but ehu is pretty much essential for running air con. Ehu is often metered in Spain so I would see if you can manage without aircon first. We go to Spain in the summer but manage with just careful heat management (solar blinds, ventilation and fans) Spend most time outdoors anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Recently removed the habitation aircon unit as we never used it - hardly ever on hookup that would actually power it!

I replaced it with a Maxxair Maxvent, which fits in a standard 400mm square opening, such as an existing roof vent. Now this is NOT an aircon unit but it does provide fresh air almost silently using 12v. It can also be used as an extractor.

Although we've yet to try it in very warm areas, on a recent trip it proved extremely effective in removing a build up of hot air when we had the oven going. Also good as a cooking extractor - the smoke alarm no longer goes off when I'm cooking bacon!

It cost around £380 including the optional screen (it still provides a limited amount of light) and led lights and, although I got someone to fit it for me (and remove the old unit which is very heavy) if you've already got a 400mm rooflight (they do a 360mm also) it's an easy enough job to DIY. I've now got ventilation whenever we need it - and have saved around 25-30kg of payload on the roof too!

(And as a bonus managed to sell the old unit for the cost of the new one - win win win!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D
Oct 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Duo S
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thank you for your prompt replies really helpful.I think as reallyretired suggested I am going to do nothing and see how we get on in the heat .
My van layout will not allow for an under the bench a/c and both my hatch openings are 400 by 700 .
Think if it gets to hot will check into a swanky hotel and still save shed loads on dealer install prices !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
As an alternative to the shop bought roof light fans I got the biggest 12v computer fan and made a polycarbonate frame to fit in the 400 x 400 roof light, added a variable switch to control the speed job done an hours work and about £15 I think

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back