Electrical/ light fitting advice please (1 Viewer)

MarkP

Free Member
Jul 4, 2018
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Elddis
Exp
1 year
Hii, I've bought a set of led daytime lights that I intend to fit to the motorhome, the instructions state that the three wires are connected as follows; red to the fuse box (to an ignition controlled fuse), black to the negative battery terminal and white to the headlights. The problem is due to the battery being in the cab the black wire will never reach, would it be ok if I fitted it to a metal section as an earth? I've tested this and it works but I'm worried incase this flattens the battery or something stupid!!
Thanks for any advice

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hii, I've bought a set of led daytime lights that I intend to fit to the motorhome, the instructions state that the three wires are connected as follows; red to the fuse box (to an ignition controlled fuse), black to the negative battery terminal and white to the headlights. The problem is due to the battery being in the cab the black wire will never reach, would it be ok if I fitted it to a metal section as an earth? I've tested this and it works but I'm worried incase this flattens the battery or something stupid!!
Thanks for any advice
its the same thing as the battery negative is only connected to the chassis earth

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Put your mind at rest,all the items on your vehicle that require a neutral do not return to the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assume, so as to comply with lighting regs, the lights dim when the headlamps are turned on and that is the reason for the headlamp connection.

OP
OP
M

MarkP

Free Member
Jul 4, 2018
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Elddis
Exp
1 year
Yep, correct. If you connect the white wire......

OP
OP
M

MarkP

Free Member
Jul 4, 2018
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Elddis
Exp
1 year
A little follow up question, a video I watched recently stated that when I've identified an ignition controlled fuse I should test both sides of the terminal to check for the 'charge' side. Apparently if my additional fuse is placed in the wrong way round then the circuit won't be protected by the fuse. Has anyone heard of this and able to throw a little light on it??

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A little follow up question, a video I watched recently stated that when I've identified an ignition controlled fuse I should test both sides of the terminal to check for the 'charge' side. Apparently if my additional fuse is placed in the wrong way round then the circuit won't be protected by the fuse. Has anyone heard of this and able to throw a little light on it??
The only issue I can think of is one way round your fuse will protect your new lights and if the existing fuse blows other circuits won't work but yours will. If its connected tot he other side if the existing fuse blows yours circuit does too (but your fuse won't). If the existing fuse is quite a low rating adding the DRLs might up the current to near the max before it blows but I would have thought if you choose a reasonably chunky feed it will make little difference.

OP
OP
M

MarkP

Free Member
Jul 4, 2018
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Elddis
Exp
1 year
Yes, that what the video explained. I like your suggestion of using a higher feed tho. Will look into it cheers

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assume, so as to comply with lighting regs, the lights dim when the headlamps are turned on and that is the reason for the headlamp connection.
Yep, correct. If you connect the white wire......
Just a thought..... Where are you going to connect the white wire?
It will HAVE TO go to the lights on/off switch output.
Connect to dip and the DRLs will be on when full beam is on.
Connect to full and visa versa.
Unless of course dip remains lit when full beam is also lit then it can connect to a dip feed anywhere providing it isn't canbus controlled .

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just a thought..... Where are you going to connect the white wire?
It will HAVE TO go to the lights on/off switch output.
Connect to dip and the DRLs will be on when full beam is on.
Connect to full and visa versa.
Unless of course dip remains lit when full beam is also lit then it can connect to a dip feed anywhere providing it isn't canbus controlled .
Normally with after fit DRL's you connect to the sidelights.

OP
OP
M

MarkP

Free Member
Jul 4, 2018
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Elddis
Exp
1 year
For a second i thought you were the wife nagging me again! Aye I will be connecting them up properly, haven't had chance to look at them or the instructions since.
Thanks for all the comments.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I did think of that Lenny, but that means the DRLs are attenuated when they are needed most.... Overcast light conditions but not enough to warrant headlamps. .
I would have said by definition if its overcast enough to need DRLs to make you more visible its gloomy enough to need dipped headlights sidelights shouldn't be used alone in daytime if you put them on you are recognising the need to be seen which requires the use of dipped beam headlights!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back