LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
As the title suggests, my knowledge of electrical stuff is somewhere just below zero. What I’m looking for a an idiots guide to working on 12v systems...does such a thing exist?

I’d like to get some general knowledge but I also have some specifics. Once lockdown is over I am going to replace the existing TV in our Hymer B644 lounge area with a new TV (already purchased an Avtex which we use free standing presently) for which I have all the required brackets/fixings although I still don’t know how to remove the existing TV but hopefully I can figure that out. The wiring to the old tv is different to the new one so can I just cut off the old connectors and connect the new or do I need to rip it all out and relay the new power leads from scratch? Hopefully that all makes sense.

the second thing I’ll be doing is taking the existing lounge TV and mounting it in the rear bedroom, again I have all the brackets I need for this. For this one there doesn’t appear to be any 12v where the tv will go but there is a 240v socket and some lighting which I assume to be 12v. So how do I get power to it, can i tee off the lighting circuit or do I need to come off something else?

Finally, as everything these days runs off USB I’d like to install a few USB sockets throughout Hymer. So again, do I tee off existing 12v systems, like lighting, or do I need to go all the way back to the main 12v supply?

Clearly I am a complete beginner but I really want to learn to tackle this stuff myself without wrecking Hymer so any guidance will be welcomed.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hymer's normally have wiring for a second TV in the bedroom have a look behind the rear of the lockers.
One or two USB sockets will probably be OK on the lighting circuit any more I would wire them to a 12v power circuit. I wired mine back to the EBL and connected them to spare outputs.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
Regarding the first bit using the existing wiring to power the new tv, you need to see if it’s supplying the same power, some 12v tv have a power converter, was the old tv 12v if so you should be 👌

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
claude et maude

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
You can tee off from existing sockets but only per socket.
Same applies to 240 v sockets.
I have a couple of 240 v socket with usb outlets on them teed off.
Phil
That’s handy to know, I was thinking of replacing the 240v sockets with combined 240v/USB sockets....pretty sure I’m up to that

Upvote 0
OP
OP
claude et maude

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Hymer's normally have wiring for a second TV in the bedroom have a look behind the rear of the lockers.
One or two USB sockets will probably be OK on the lighting circuit any more I would wire them to a 12v power circuit. I wired mine back to the EBL and connected them to spare outputs.
I’ll have a look behind the lockers but unfortunately can’t get to it until lockdown over

Upvote 0
OP
OP
claude et maude

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Regarding the first bit using the existing wiring to power the new tv, you need to see if it’s supplying the same power, some 12v tv have a power converter, was the old tv 12v if so you should be 👌
Yes, existing is 12v.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Check the capacity of the existing 12v lighting against what you need for your TV to make sure it's capable of handling it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
claude et maude

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Check the capacity of the existing 12v lighting against what you need for your TV to make sure it's capable of handling it.
Hmm, I need to read that book quickly by the sound of it!

Next to the bedroom is the boiler cupboard, the bathroom and the garage below so I’m hopeful I can get power from somewhere.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Nice one

couple of web links whilst waiting for the book and Volt meter and a pack of spare fuses to arrive

Upvote 0
OP
OP
claude et maude

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Nice one

couple of web links whilst waiting for the book and Volt meter and a pack of spare fuses to arrive

Thanks, I’ll check those out too.
Much appreciation to everyone for all the excellent replies.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If you need to extend wires, consider using wago connectors ....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back