Electrical hook up on Aires - France (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
Can anyone explain to me how you obtain electricity from the Aires in France?
Do you park next to the service station and plug in! Wouldn’t this prevent other users from using the service point!

I would be grateful for an explanation!

Regards,
Philip.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Phillip

Have never used this facility on an aire myself, but have seen others using it.
You plug your mains lead into the van and connect to the electric outlet on the borne. Put your money in and hey presto electric hook up is available for whatever time you are allowed or have paid for. As most people have a mains lead of 25 metres length, they park as far away from the borne as practically possible so as to allow others use of its facilities.

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
As Brisey says. Provided your hookup cable is a reasonable length and there is room on the aire, you should not find yourself needing to park so close to the service point that you would obstruct another van.

If it doesn't come on straight away after you have hooked up (and put your money in if applicable) press some buttons. Sometimes there are no instructions on what to do - but if you press every button you can see, one of them will probably switch the leccy on. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Philip

There are various types of electric points on Aires in France, there are those that are incorporated into the Bourne's which you use by attaching your normal Euro plugged hookup cable and siting your MH so it won't stop people using the other Bourne facilities, you then enter your money and you will obtain a set amount of electricity usually enough to charge your battery etc, you can continue to enter more money as and when you need it but you must take account of other Aire users who may want to use that electric point, usually just ask?

On other Aires you may find electric points spread around which if one is free just connect to it, sometimes you can ask if there are no free points if someone minds you doubling up most of the time they will let you albeit you may need to supply a split cable for this to happen

Some of the Aires supply electricity free some include it within the standard price some charge you extra if you actually connect, and some don't supply any electricity

hope that helps

Hi,
Can anyone explain to me how you obtain electricity from the Aires in France?
Do you park next to the service station and plug in! Wouldn’t this prevent other users from using the service point!

I would be grateful for an explanation!

Regards,
Philip.

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
(Some of the Aires supply electricity free some include it within the standard price some charge you extra if you actually connect, and some don't supply any electricity)

Hi, there are plenty of aires are free with free 'lecy, just plug in, if the point is being used just ask if you can connect to it, it pays to carry "splitters" so that both (or sometimes even four or five !! :cry: ) can use it, as long as no one overloads the point there is usually no problem. Two years ago the fridge refused to work on gas :Doh: so we planned our route using aires with free 'lecy, it was a bit like a zig zag but at least the fridge worked and the local community got the trade they expect to get for giving you it free.
I f you purchase the french aires book it tells you which aires have free 'lecy, it's all in french but we have no problem understanding it........:Blush:
Last year we went to France and Spain for 7 weeks and only paid for 3 nights on camp sites, but don't forget to spend in the village where the aire is or soon there will be none left ...:thumb:

TweetiePie

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Movano self build
Exp
on and off since 1968
sorry

Sorry, I forgot to say that I agree with braunston in the quote in my last post.......I wasn't being rude braunston just incase you think I was :Smile:.......sorry
Robley

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks again to one and all, I love this website, a great membership who are always willing to pass on their knowledge!

Keep safe,
Philip

Feb 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoHomes Merlin
Hi everyone, has anyone run into a non-euro standard plug on a French Aire? I came across a foot note in 'Best Aires' quote: normally std. euro socket but occasionally a French socket!
Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi everyone, has anyone run into a non-euro standard plug on a French Aire? I came across a foot note in 'Best Aires' quote: normally std. euro socket but occasionally a French socket!
Thanks
A "French" socket probably just means one where the earth pin sticks out. Just buy an adaptor which has a hole in it to take the pin - almost all adaptors should be like this.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
weve only found a couple with the french plugin ten years the adaptor isnt expensive

You will be fine with that two pin adapter. Just don't expect any more than a 6amp supply.
We once only had power to the ECU when they turned on the street light :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Is there nobody for the other side of the argument?
What if your todger was to accidentally drop into the toaster slot during a naked waffle toasting session after a night on the lash? 🤔

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
The point of reversed polarity is only a problem for UK type systems where we rely on a fused positive terminal as final (or first) safety device, so if the polarity is reversed that means the supply is coming through negative and so bypassing the fuse. This means a fault won't burn out the fuse and so leave the faulty device still live.
So both sides of the debate have a point. In normal operation it makes no difference if the polarity is reversed, every thing still works as it should. However if there's a fault or accident there is indeed a risk of the appliance still taking power and being live if touched.
On the continent and many other countries they don't have fused appliances, relying on the domestic system etc. to offer protection. So they don't worry about polarity.
My MoHo is french built and I was not too surprised to find out it's EHU system is wired in reverse when I ran some tests. I confess I have left it alone and so far, after 10 years haven't had any issues.

Feb 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoHomes Merlin
A "French" socket probably just means one where the earth pin sticks out. Just buy an adaptor which has a hole in it to take the pin - almost all adaptors should be like this.
Thanks DBK same uk idea then, cheers
You will be fine with that two pin adapter. Just don't expect any more than a 6amp supply.
We once only had power to the ECU when they turned on the street light :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Many thanks for the link Stealaway, I'm on it!

Feb 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoHomes Merlin
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
weve only found a couple with the french plugin ten years the adaptor isnt expensive
Recently found out I need a different one for Spain, luckily I had a Euro adapter that fitted then used my UK 3pin plug converter to attach to hook up lead so will need to get a Euro adapter made up....

Deleted User
Is there nobody for the other side of the argument?
What if your todger was to accidentally drop into the toaster slot during a naked waffle toasting session after a night on the lash? 🤔

I have had problems with reverse polarity!
When we toured with the American made 5'er which had a 240/110v transformer I found out that it was essential to have an earth as the chassis became somewhat live if no earth, enough to get a little tingle.
I found out that my mains tester did not show no earth if the polarity was reversed.
I am not an electrician........obviously I hear someone say :Smile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Of course along with your new UK vehicle sticker you should really be using one of these and then complain loudly when you can't find anywhere to plug it in. :)

1632413489246.png

Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
I'm on a site in Spain at the moment, My control panel is warning of reverse polarity so I reversed the wiring and it still shows reverse polarity, however everything is working ok except the site only has 3 amps and they charge one euro every time their fuse blows ( no circuit Breakers)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I'm on a site in Spain at the moment, My control panel is warning of reverse polarity so I reversed the wiring and it still shows reverse polarity, however everything is working ok except the site only has 3 amps and they charge one euro every time their fuse blows ( no circuit Breakers)
The only way anything can detect polarity is by referencing earth, so maybe your earth connection is missing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back