LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Cook has decided she would like an electric 3 wheeler bike. Have been looking on tinternet and have found some at a reasonable price, but in Slovenia. The cost with delivery is just over a grand, so I need to get it right. Do any of you funsters have such a contraption and could give me some pointers as to what to look for. Maybe it would be a cheaper option to send her for cycling lessons on a 2 wheel bike, but hay ho, what do you lot think about these.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
mission-triad-chopper.jpg
We appreciate the difficulties in finding a very well built electric trike.

We found nothing out there that was appealing to the eye and looked like a bike.
We bought this trike made by Mission called 'Mission Chopper Trike'. These are around the £600 and then I changed the front 20" wheel for a motor drive electric (cost £900). I appreciate a lot of money when added together but the bike is a dream. If you are interested in this come back to me and I will pass on from whom I bought the electric set up. To convert was a doddle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
The last time I spoke to the AS Bike chap about this subject (at the 2017 Norwich show) he was hoping to launch a folding electric trike in 2018. Might be worth following this up with them?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
@Clarky may be able to help with this

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Mrs Bass has a Batribike electric trike and loves it! She always gets interest in it when we are away and last year we even got a free night on a French campsite because she let one of the workers have a go on it to see if it was any use for him to get around the site on! It's a model that has a side hinged leaning frame so all three wheels stay on the ground whilst cornering. It's a wierd feeling at first but you soon get used to it. It's quick, comfy and great fun, and useful if you perhaps don't have a great deal of confidence on two wheels. I also find it's super to go fishing with as it has huge baskets on the front and rear to carry all the gear!

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
The last time I spoke to the AS Bike chap about this subject (at the 2017 Norwich show) he was hoping to launch a folding electric trike in 2018. Might be worth following this up with them?
May have been the Malvern show that AS had a fold up trike looked like they were testing back of tent

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We got fed up of waiting years for A S bike to finish his trike and bought this one Broken Link Removed
Well worth it and folds nicely. They do come up second hand occasionally on ebay

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Cook has decided she would like an electric 3 wheeler bike. Have been looking on tinternet and have found some at a reasonable price, but in Slovenia. The cost with delivery is just over a grand, so I need to get it right. Do any of you funsters have such a contraption and could give me some pointers as to what to look for. Maybe it would be a cheaper option to send her for cycling lessons on a 2 wheel bike, but hay ho, what do you lot think about these.
Looks a good sturdy trike Dave. We needed one that folded see the post above

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I believe the Dutch company JORVIK make decent electric trikes at a reasonable price

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I believe the Dutch company JORVIK make decent electric trikes at a reasonable price

Yes they do and it has a reasonable range too but there is a firm in Chesterfield (https://www.ecovoltz.co.uk/) make one which has a tilting front wheel so goes round corners at a normal bike speed instead of having to slow down (or fall off) problem for me it's £1500 but it is a good bike with a decent range and speed

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Have looked at the Jorvik and it does look very similar to the Slovenian one. There are a few for sale second hand, but at the same price as a new Slovenian one.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not too bothered about it folding up as I have a pullout motorbike rack on the rear of the bus that am hoping a trike will fit on. I am drawn to the Slovenian one as the frame is alloy, so lightweight. It has a basket front and rear so my beer supply will be looked after. Because cook never learned how to ride a bike am not so sure one of the bendy ones would be suitable as I do not want her falling off with a full complement of beer.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd get a trike locally and convert it if you cannot find an electric one. The drive needs to be to the (two) rear wheels, because that's where the weight will be. You can get motors for £400-500 that replace the bottom bracket and chainwheel (batteries are extra) but I don't recall the names (there are at least a couple of different ones). They are a DIY fit, else bike shops will fit them.
(Good luck!)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You can buy trike conversion kits that will convert a normal bike to a trike.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The Memsahib tried a DeBlasi folding trike but didn't like it.
She felt really insecure on it so the idea was dropped.

Richard.

I also thought the DeBlasi was a bit flimsy looking. Its made in Italy I believe. Similar to those Italian sportscars, all flash and no substance. Cook will require a heavy duty machine :).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Surely with elec front wheel and chain and pedals it would be awd when pedaled ?

This is true. I have the same with 2 wheels and can easily spin the front wheel from under me if I get carried away, but so slow and on loose stuff it's not a problem.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cheaper if you buy it in Euros:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Surely with elec front wheel and chain and pedals it would be awd when pedaled ?

Most of the trikes quoted look to drive just one of the back wheels, otherwise you'd need a differential fitted to the back axle, they are available, but it doubles the cost of the trike.
If you search ebay for "tricycle conversion kit" you can buy a back axle and wheels to convert a normal bicycle into a trike. A quick look didn't show any with diffs, but they are relatively cheap, especially if you nailed one onto a second hand AS bike or similar ?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Is there such a thing as a two seater trike , elec or otherwise ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back