LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Got a problem with electric step on my Knaus Sky TI 700 MEB!

It works fine from the switch by the door but no longer retracts automatically when engine is started - I suspect it has 2 fuses one from hab fuse board and on from engine board (which I think must be blown).

Problem is that both the Knaus and Ducato handbooks fail miserably to identify relevant fuses :confused:

Any thoughts/help anyone?

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago ,with the help of the fiat manual I was able to find the correct fuses , it just takes a bit of patience.
If I can do it ,believe me ,you can to .

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
If you open the fuse box and compere the fuse numbers with layout on the manual ,that should help you find the right fuse .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
In the manual I can find no mention of the fuse for the electric step :confused:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think it’s more likely to be a microswitch in the vicinity of the step that’s not opening when the step is out. There’s a lot of road debris that gets thrown up underneath and this can make such things stick in the closed position.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Had the same problem, couldnt find any info about which fuse or where to locate it, i ended up taking out every fuse i could find in the end and check until i found the blown one.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Have you thought about contacting Knaus and asking them?
I've got a Euramobil and anything which I can't find in the owner manual gets emailed to the factory - and they're pretty good at replying.
Failing that, I'm sure there's a knaus owners club whereby someone may have the same model as you or have experienced something similar.
Worth a try.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I would concentrate your search for the fuse or fault on the habitation side..
I'm sure if the fault was vehicle related in connection with the engine run signal there would be other things not working that rely on the same input...
There will be a relay switched by the engine run signal that shuts the step... .. most likely the fuse on the supply to that relay has gone or the relay is stuck.. (less likely. )
Can't help re your specific layout..
Hope you get sorted..
Andy.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Got a problem with electric step on my Knaus Sky TI 700 MEB!

It works fine from the switch by the door but no longer retracts automatically when engine is started - I suspect it has 2 fuses one from hab fuse board and on from engine board (which I think must be blown).

Problem is that both the Knaus and Ducato handbooks fail miserably to identify relevant fuses :confused:

Any thoughts/help anyone?
Same problem on our 2011 Autotrail Scout, the vehicle had the fault when we went to view it, we agreed to buy & the dealer said they'd fix the step problem; it was more difficult than they'd imagined! It turned out to be an electronic server unit controlled via the engine management system,,, they said. This was replaced, but only after they'd removed the entire step assembly, had the motor checked & replaced the switch gear, they then removed it a second time & fitted a new motor! I'll say this, "Venture Caravan Co" at Hitchin kept to their word despite what was obviously a very expensive repair... Hopefully, your step problem wont be as difficult to sort,,, one thing I'm reasonably sure of; there aren't 2 fuses, certainly not on our model. Best of luck with the repair. Regards from James & Angie "dun ear in Narfuk". :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There’s a possibility that the trigger used to retract the step also feeds the fridge. If the fridge still works on 12V, with engine running, it’s less likely to be a fuse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back