Electric step fail (2 Viewers)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Stopped on a layby yesterday after a short break away. Went to retract the step and nothing happened. Started the engine, which normally retracts the step as a failsafe, with same (lack of) result. Eek! Double step, so certainly couldn't drive off with it still extended. Had visions of calling breakdown service and being trailered home.

After a bit of research, managed to crawl under it to disconnect it from the motor, so that it could be retracted and zip tied back. Returned home safely, but if anyone could talk me through next steps to solve problem I'd be very grateful! It's a double step on a 2007 Autocruise Starseeker, Peugeot Boxer base.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
did you hear the motor try and retract at all? and have you checked the fuse?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It is common for these steps to collect road dirt and debris, causing the mechanism to go stiff. This results in blown fuses or in serious cases the gear wheel on the motor to strip teeth. They need regular maintenance, cleaning and lubricating, including the limit switch. The limit switch turns off the motor when the step presses against it. This is a further fail point as the switch either sticks or stops working

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The motor isn't working at all. The manual shows a list of fuses, and, appropriate colours, but is silent as to their location! I assume the limit stop is the spring loaded button behind the step I sprayed that with wd40 and pressed it a number of times to no avail. Be aware that I am not a natural DIYer, don't be afraid to talk to me as though I'm an idiot 🙂

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Did the step push freely back into the parked position?

If you look at the step mine have all had emergency catches to hold it in the parked position for this circumstances

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
It swung back freely once I'd removed the bar connecting the step to the motor shaft (pictur
IMG_20210617_114111.jpg
ed)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry the location of the fuses is not an obvious answer. Try in the wardrobe

The fact it is not trying does kind of indicate an electrical fault. First you need to locate the fuseboard, so get searching

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The good news ( for me at least) is that the step is now working again. The slightly bad news is that I've no idea why! I reconnected the motor, and eventually located the fuse box in the engine bay. The manual suggested the step was on 20 amp. The only other 20 was the diesel heater. I pulled one 20 - heater still came on. Pulled the other one with same result. As I was passing, tried the step - which worked. Checked it also came in when engine started - all fine. So replaced fuses and scratched head...
I have no idea what happened, but for the moment at least just grateful that it has. Thanks to all who contributed ideas.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back