LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I know this is not the correct place for this question. but I am desperate!!!!!!
I have to replace an electric shower, the old one is 7kw and the circuit has a 32 amp trip. I can't find a 7kw replacement but I can buy a 7.5kw unit. The question is, can I fit a 7.5 to 32amp system?? I have no idea what size the cable is,
I know there will be someone on here that knows!!!
Nigel
(or do you know where I can get a 7kw shower??!!)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Electric shower

I know this is not the correct place for this question. but I am desperate!!!!!!
I have to replace an electric shower, the old one is 7kw and the circuit has a 32 amp trip. I can't find a 7kw replacement but I can buy a 7.5kw unit. The question is, can I fit a 7.5 to 32amp system?? I have no idea what size the cable is,
Nigel

Hi Sundowner,

If my maths is correct, and my memory recall is correct, it is something like this:

230 volts x 32 amps = 7360 volts or 7.36 kw. so I'm sorry to say NO a 7.5kw shower will trip out every time you try to use it.

Seriously now, recently new electrical regulations were introduced which could effect you, depending on the situation. If you are working on your own property, as all electrical work/installations require certification, you will require that certification, and I understand many electricians are refusing to certify work executed by us non qualified electricians. Result, if you want to sell at a later date this work and certification will form part of the sellers pack, or the deeds. It may well be a prudent course of action to get a qualified electrican on side, it could be your circuit will be able to accept a heavier anperage fuse, to carry the power of the new shower, but proceed with caution, find a reliable electrican and discuss with him/her.

Sorry to be a bore, but you caan't see the voltage!!

Nomadic

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Thanks Nomadic
I did the same sum but on 240 volts !!!! It makes a hellava difference!!!!!!
Maybe I'm older than you!! Do we now run on 220 or 240 volts (I have checked it in the past and got just 200!!) If I can't find a 7kw unit I will have to get the circuit up rated.
Nigel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the standard measurement in the uk is now 230v

when we install a new shower we wire in 10mm sq twin ansd earth and connect to a 40amp RCD

older installations were in 6mm sq cable but with modern 9kw+ showers it aint up to the job

if you have 10mm cable then just upgrade the RCD to 40amp otherwise fit a power shower. so much cheaper to run than a normal electric shower and infinitly more controllable.

new regs state you can add to existing circuits but not add new circuits without certification.
this does not include bathrooms and kitchens....ALL work here must be certified

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Electric shower

Thanks Nomadic
I did the same sum but on 240 volts !!!! It makes a hellava difference!!!!!!
Maybe I'm older than you!! Do we now run on 220 or 240 volts (I have checked it in the past and got just 200!!) If I can't find a 7kw unit I will have to get the circuit up rated.
Nigel.

Nigel,

We had our home rewired some years ago, and was advised that a reduction from 240 to 230 was being introduced, for some reason or other. This was confirmed, when we moved, and had an electrical inspection/loading check carried out before purchase of our bungalow. Since then I have always worked on 230 volts, parhaps I need to investigate, so that we can calculate what can and can not be run on 6 amps!!

200 volts does seem low to me.

Good luck with the project.:thumb:

Nomadic

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Electric shower

the standard measurement in the uk is now 230v

when we install a new shower we wire in 10mm sq twin ansd earth and connect to a 40amp RCD

older installations were in 6mm sq cable but with modern 9kw+ showers it aint up to the job

if you have 10mm cable then just upgrade the RCD to 40amp otherwise fit a power shower. so much cheaper to run than a normal electric shower and infinitly more controllable.

new regs state you can add to existing circuits but not add new circuits without certification.
this does not include bathrooms and kitchens....ALL work here must be certified

Hi Pappajohn

Thanks for the confirmation, you saved me some time, great.

Nomadic:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi sundowner their is no way to police this requirment to have "PartP" certification, once you have completed the work and covered it up.

If asked and you simply say it was done before 1st Jan 2005, how do they prove otherwise?

This is just more of the "nanny state" bodgers will still bodge, and competent people will probably still get it checked by a certified electrician.

Olley

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi sundowner their is no way to police this requirment to have "PartP" certification, once you have completed the work and covered it up.

If asked and you simply say it was done before 1st Jan 2005, how do they prove otherwise?

This is just more of the "nanny state" bodgers will still bodge, and competent people will probably still get it checked by a certified electrician.

Olley

couldnt agree more olley....:thumb::thumb:

the only giveaway would be the wire colours :Doh: brown and blue instead of red and black:Doh:

anyone with a few drums of the old red and black cable is sitting on a fortune:winky:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Nigel

First check what cable you got,if it is 6mm or above thats ok..6mm will be ok for 40 amps no problem as long as there are no joints and all connections are made off properlly.Make sure your circuit is protected by a double pole 30ma RCD,this may be a stand alone item or fixed in as your main sw on your consumer unit,make sure the whole system is properlly eatrhed,.Part P if you can keep away from it if you are not changing the feed cable and staying with red and black should be no problem.If you are unsure get a proper Electrician to do the job not a carpenter who has a part P certificate which he got on a 3 day course.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back