Electric shocks from the awning poles (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Why and what ?
Thought I had reached zenith of DIY with 2 x screwdrivers and the kitchen scissors - is this something for the EHU or a decoration for the Crocks??:winky:
They're the end thingies for the wires 👍😎
Screenshot_20210922-165936_eBay.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Why and what ?
Thought I had reached zenith of DIY with 2 x screwdrivers and the kitchen scissors - is this something for the EHU or a decoration for the Crocks??:winky:
When you put a stranded end wire into a screw terminal, the screw just splits the strands and results in a weak connection. The ferule gets crimped on the bare strands and turns it into a solid single core. When screw bites into that, makes a good strong mechanical connection, that will fair better pull out and a good contact. The wire fault you just had, is a typical bare stranded wire into a screw connection.
Richard n Ann gave you a good example of insulated ferrules.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
the dismantling was not the easiest job despite help from Mr Interweb. Hack hack smash baaad language .
Don't worry, it gets easier with practice. Especially the baaad language. Originally boot lace ferrules were shrunk onto the ends of boot and shoe laces to make it easier to thread the ends through the holes. These electrical bootlace ferrules crimp onto stranded wire to collect all the strands and ensure good electrical contact. All wiring professionals use them. Not necessary in house installations because the wire is solid, not stranded.

The ferrules are colour-coded for all the different wire thicknesses. Your mains wire will probably be 2.5mm2, or maybe 1.5mm2 if it is the thin stuff. As you would expect, there are several entirely different standard colour codes - German and French are the most popular.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I still can't understand why a current would pass from the mains electrical system, through a structurally insulated wood, foam and fiberglass structure then awning and awning legs.
Wood, foam and fiberglass are pretty good insulators.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Wow thank you Autorouter and Raul [and everyone else]
Yes wires 2.5 mm - checked the colour codes x 2- used the Big Kitchen scissors [normal plug = nail scissors] and a wire stripper and a lot of care - made little loops like my Dad showed me decades ago but Toolstation had the bits in stock so I have now got a 10m hook up as well as new one [which is the one we will use until electrician pal has checked my handiwork-- or until Sarah puts the awning up again **]
**She is well insured
:roflmto:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I still can't understand why a current would pass from the mains electrical system, through a structurally insulated wood, foam and fiberglass structure then awning and awning legs.
Wood, foam and fiberglass are pretty good insulators.
The awning poles must be connected to the van chassis in some way, maybe the van has a metal skin 🤔 or if it's a pvc they'll definitely be 'earthed'

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
You could of course remove the covers from the plugs and replace/retighten the connections? Every hook-up cable I've ever had has had badly tightened terminal screws.
Agreed. My wife used to pull on the end of the cable and thereby loosen the wires. The dog always shades under van and had a couple of shocks before I realised what was happening and fixed it.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
This posting has been going around in my head all week so I apologise for the length of the posting.
Earlier on it was discovered that the earth wire was broken in the cable. That would mean the chassis and bodywork of the van were not grounded electrically and when a fault( giving a leakage/imbalance of less than 30mA occurred) the OP said they could feel the voltage. Made worse by the OP being bare footed in damp grass ie presenting the only path to earth for the chassis/body voltage which is pretty well insulated by the tyres

Now I'm not sure what voltage is detectable by the human body but I should think 80 to 100v ac
( yes I had ringing voltage across my ears when climbing a pole on a wet afternoon many years ago!)
My worry would be that the RCCD should be checked to ensure its operating within the normal 30ma at 30msec's. For 100v to trip out at 30ma that represents 3.3k, quite a low impedance and the op must have been higher than that ie a less than 30mA current
The earth wire thing is a bit of a red herring the RCCB is there to protect without an earth at all, hence their use on Double Insulated Lawnmowers etc
Any Electrician would have the tester to check its effectiveness but its perhaps cheaper to change the RCCB. If in doubt and you feel one shock then disconnect the mains cable ( and dont leave it in the wet grass either)
Mike
PS Some years ago a young girl was sadly electrocuted whilst fiddling with 240v fairy lights bare footed on damp grass.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back