Electric scooters (1 Viewer)

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
He is quite right. The scooter has pedals which can propel it and the 250w electric motor limits the speed to 15 mph. Therefore, it falls into the definition of an electric pedal cycle..... although it does not look like one.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Its a pedalec thats why, basically a bicycle with electric motor but a scooter with pedals is bending those rules and no doubt be soon legislated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I've actually just bought an ebike off hilldweller and very satisfied with it but thought this looked good, didn't notice the pedals :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It may have pedals but regardless of their interpretation IT'S NOT LEGAL for use on public roads without being registered.
It has a twist grip capable of powering it to max speed which does NOT comply with regulations.
The twist grip should be limited to 4mph then cut out.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
You can have a twist or thumb throttle but it should only work when you are peddling. I quote cycling weekly...

'If the rider is rolling – but not pedalling – faster than 6km/h, the throttle cuts off. If the cyclist pedals at the same time then the throttle can still assist up to the general limit of 15.5mph.

If you bought an ebike with a full-speed throttle before January 1 2016, don’t panic: those sold prior to this date are still considered as EAPC and do not require a registration or taxed. Practically, you could still buy one a ‘twist and go’ and not be fined, but it would have to have been produced or imported before January 1.'

Spurious claim in the avert - The operator of an E RIDER Model 15 is not required to provide a breath or blood sample - you can still be prosecuted for being drunk with a bike!

I think the main problem with them (besides being unlawful) are they look like a scooter. Ride past a police car and expect to be pulled over every time......

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the rider is rolling – but not pedalling – faster than 6km/h, the throttle cuts off. If the cyclist pedals at the same time then the throttle can still assist up to the general limit of 15.5mph.
This may be so but the throttle alone will cut at 4mph.
My bike has walk assist, it couldn't pull a tart in a brothel, it's there to assist pedal effort until the pedal effort registers and the motor kicks in proper..... BUT as long as I'm pedalling just fast enough for the cadance to detect it will propel me to max motor speed on the level without the throttle or putting ANY load on the pedals.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And, rhetorical evidence seems to suggest that the use of it in Spain would get you in bother with the Police.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Believe it or not, I got pulled over in my wheelchair in the late seventies going down crown hill in Alton on the path, they said I was going too fast for a pedestrian controlled vehicle and endangering bystanders.....? and that was only one manpower....

it doesn’t matter what your riding/driving they’ll nick ya for something if it doesn’t fit.....

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
This may be so but the throttle alone will cut at 4mph.
My bike has walk assist, it couldn't pull a tart in a brothel, it's there to assist pedal effort until the pedal effort registers and the motor kicks in proper..... BUT as long as I'm pedalling just fast enough for the cadance to detect it will propel me to max motor speed on the level without the throttle or putting ANY load on the pedals.
Using my thumb throttle will power me up to the limit but I have to be peddling at the same time. If I stop peddling the throttle does not work. If I push the down button for 5 seconds then it will roll forward at 4mph.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Using my thumb throttle will power me up to the limit but I have to be peddling at the same time. If I stop peddling the throttle does not work. If I push the down button for 5 seconds then it will roll forward at 4mph.
But have you tried slow pedalling alone rather than thumb and slow pedal.
I don't need to touch anything except a slow pedal, maybe four turns per minute, with no load to achieve 15.5mph.
Rear hub motor! This may be different in a crank motor.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
only want to say one thing.
An electric scooter,
does 15 mph
has a range of 20 miles
dead ugly,
dead pointless,
why bother.

I will wait for the Tessla model.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
And, rhetorical evidence seems to suggest that the use of it in Spain would get you in bother with the Police.
This year in Spain there are even more Spanish people riding throttle enhanced bikes and scooters. In Vitoria and Burgos they are everywhere. Children and adults racing along pavements and streets. If you should chance to visit Gibraltar during the rush hour, the number of people driving electric scooters on the way back home to La Linea in Spain, outnumber cars as we experienced in September this year. Nobody blinked an eye but a friend tells us they are to be banned from riding on the pavement.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This year in Spain there are even more Spanish people riding throttle enhanced bikes and scooters. In Vitoria and Burgos they are everywhere. Children and adults racing along pavements and streets. If you should chance to visit Gibraltar during the rush hour, the number of people driving electric scooters on the way back home to La Linea in Spain, outnumber cars as we experienced in September this year. Nobody blinked an eye but a friend tells us they are to be banned from riding on the pavement.

I'm only stating what has been previously reported here.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
That is now true, to ride one it must have documentation and IVT and a licence plate, the rider MUST wear a helmet, they are treating them as an electric version of the moped. The fine is quite large and they scooter is destroyed

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
But have you tried slow pedalling alone rather than thumb and slow pedal.
I don't need to touch anything except a slow pedal, maybe four turns per minute, with no load to achieve 15.5mph.
Rear hub motor! This may be different in a crank motor.
Yes....on power lever 5 as long as the pedals turn it wants to do 15mph independent of your effort, on level 1 it does 6mph unless I add leg power. Then there are power levels in-between so that you can ride up to 15mph with the effort of your choosing.
They really are great...

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Would someone kindly tell me what is going on in Spain. I was aware that for driving electric bikes with a throttle I could be fined up to 900euros, but such blatant disregard of these rules by virtually everybody, requires some explanation.
I am also aware that in the Netherlands, electric bikes come into yet another category, including possibly licences, tax and insurance. Oh for the joy of freedom of the road!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back