Electric Motorhome a Reality but at a cost (1 Viewer)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Since when does over supply of a product increase its value ??
View attachment 333516
You can buy a 2019 Zoe through Renault used cars with 1500 miles on it for £14,400, and they are £29,000 new on the same site... thats £10 a mile depreciation . They are quoting an 'average price' year on year .. its simple maths. When you put more nearly new stock into the used market , it pushes the average up, it doesnt make any of them worth any more. 3 cars , two at £6k and one at £12k, average price is £8k .. one at £6k and 2 at £12k average is £10k .. they are still the same cars , still the same selling price. Its a smokescreen to try and hide the fact that they lose money faster than you can burn it . If they were selling , at good money, they wouldnt be discounting them £15k at 1500 miles old would they . They are either selling , so you dont have to give them away, or they arent , and if they arent, then they cant be a good buy used either.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
You say that like they used to be cheap and affordable.. they never have been, In fact i would say the opposite, The way they are built now, means a small coachbuilt can be had for not a lot of money and there is no shortage of used stock. The price is driven by demand, and the fact that people are buying high end stuff , with finance , says they have the disposable income to do it. The japanese phenomenon is down to the fact that they have no space to park anything,and strict rules controlling it .

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth

I see more and more people doing Day Van conversions, but most of those seem to be an excuse to buy a T4 or T5.. nothing wrong with that, i grew up in T1 and T2 campers, but the 'self build' thing seems to be fashionable these days. The whole 'tiny house' thing is just people looking for a an excuse for living in a shipping container at the bottom of mummy and daddy's garden.

Honestly, i think the EV thing is going to be a long term cluster$£$! , and even the most fervent fan has to look at EV campers and think ' nope'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
120KM range... thats like having a 4 gallon fuel tank you need to fill with a thimble.

If you can charge at campsites / campgrounds, it would make sense (in that country at least -- no great mileages on each island, I don't think).

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
If you can charge at campsites / campgrounds, it would make sense (in that country at least -- no great mileages on each island, I don't think).
Its 900 niles long and 250 miles wide. And its very very rural Have friends that have toured it in an RV and said it was great , as long as you like seeing nobody for days.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Its 900 niles long and 250 miles wide. And its very very rural Have friends that have toured it in an RV and said it was great , as long as you like seeing nobody for days.
Maybe stick to the Isle of Wight in an eMotorhome then :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We had electric milk floats on the farm next door they weighed three ton +, and would go out every morning OK ,but limp home at 2 mph in the afternoon to be charged up again for the next day . They did about ten miles on the two ton of batteries, but they were lead acid ones though.
I cannot get it out of my head when I hear about electric car running on 2500 torch batteries I also remember bike lights that lasted about 3/4 of an hour before replacements needed. CANT HELP IT! batteries are still in my mind as weak sources of power..
I would like a Tesla though but they are well out of it cost wise.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
We had electric milk floats on the farm next door they weighed three ton +, and would go out every morning OK ,but limp home at 2 mph in the afternoon to be charged up again for the next day . They did about ten miles on the two ton of batteries, but they were lead acid ones though.
I cannot get it out of my head when I hear about electric car running on 2500 torch batteries I also remember bike lights that lasted about 3/4 of an hour before replacements needed. CANT HELP IT! batteries are still in my mind as weak sources of power..

The whirr of the early morning electric milkfloat is still embedded in my memory from decades ago. I believe some people also used them as unofficial transport home after a particularly heavy night on the tiles... I couldn't possibly comment.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
There will be people that say ' well that mileage is plenty for blah blah blah... reality is that my fuel light comes on with 60 miles range on , and when it does, you are looking for fuel straight away, Who is going to spend £100k to buy range anxiety? I know people who have a meltdown when their phone gets to 20%.

The upshot is that policy is being set by people who have no grasp of reality . If people want EV's , that's fine, but the nut huggers who keep spouting how popular they are , seem to forget the fact that they are subsidised to death, against a product that is taxed and legislated out of existence. The irony is , that my diesel car is £30 a year to tax , based on its emissions, to either it pollutes , or it doesn't . Its one step away from being free, so which is it.

I am away this weekend ,1100 miles in 4 days , not even remotely viable to do in anything other than an ICE vehicle, nor will it ever be.

Its a fantasy Utopia that the pursuit of will kill off economies.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
[QUOTE="PhilG, post: 3510

I am away this weekend ,1100 miles in 4 days , not even remotely viable to do in anything other than an ICE vehicle, nor will it ever be.

[/QUOTE]

Absolute tosh!

I can easily get 230+ miles from mine, charged up overnight, start again, or if doing that mileage over 2 days (550 a day) will mean a couple of stops totalling about 1 1/2 hours, or do you do 550 miles without a break?

Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
Until they manage to produce graphene-based batteries on an industrial scale (and my understanding is that it won't be anytime soon) then energy density will always be the killer as far as EVs are concerned and especially with vehicles subject to the 3.5 tonne limit. With current, and immediate future, technology the weight of batteries required to achieve practical range plus time required for charging makes EVs impractical except for relatively short journeys. If you passed your test recently or are over 70 with no C1 then even that is questionable.
In addition they are not as green as they make out for all the reasons mentioned in earlier posts (and it wasn't just oil companies who came to that conclusion, Greenpeace agree!)
When people talk about the life of the batteries they rarely specify what percentage of original performance denotes "End of Life". As we all know, batteries steadily degrade from Day 1. My laptop has a sophisticated battery and charging system but after 3 years it will only run for about 2.5 hours compared to the 4+ it managed when new. Every time I ask an EV dealer about battery life they faff about and give some woolly answer which amounts to "we don't know". They also get very evasive when asked about the cost of replacement. Think about it; a half decent Lithium habitation battery is at least £1000. How much for 30 + of them? Makes that Nissan leasing deal almost look like good sense!
Neither has anyone mentioned safety. The voltages used in EVs can be huge; F1 cars have to have a green light to indicate to mechanics and trackside marshalls that the car is safe to touch. What happens when you have a crash in your EV? Vehicles with Xenon Discharge headlamps had sensors to cut the powewr supply in the event of a crash; what will protect you from the severed high voltage cables in your EV?
Notwithstanding, the killer factor for me is that all the near future and far future battery technologies require rare elements such as lithium and I don't believe that there's enough of it to power an entirely EV world's consumption.
No, the Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight sent the entire automobile in the wrong direction. It was an easy and cheap fix to a politically embarrassing problem which politicians and most of Joe Public swallowed wholesale without understanding the true facts.
Whether it has pistons that go up and down or some other form of converting heat to kinetic energy the vehicles of the future should be powered by hydrogen. Long-term, the cost of creating the supply infrastructure is not that huge, especially as the short refuelling time means that we won't need any extra refuelling stations than we have for our current vehicles. Environmentally it is at least as green as batteries. It will not require Mr Musk to go to Mars to get the rare elements required to make it work. From many conversations with both "car" people and Joe Public, the biggest problem is persuading people that a tank of hydrogen is no more dangerous than the tank of 4* they currently drive round with. Perhaps if they changed the name to something like Adgas? Or put a perfume in it?

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
The upshot is that policy is being set by people who have no grasp of reality .

Policy is being set by people who live in big cities, in the UK principally London.

I have lived in cities including London as well as in the back end of beyond.

In London, if you are not disabled, you can even live without a vehicle -- probably the only place in the UK -- as public transport is ubiquitous, affordable and runs pretty much around the clock.

Way out in the sticks it's a different story: at least an hour's journey just to get some basic supplies. And the local infrastructure couldn't even supply a two-phase supply to a nearby business when requested as it was at capacity already, so try charging some vehicles. To paraphrase: you would have to prise my diesel from my cold dead hand.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
There will be people that say ' well that mileage is plenty for blah blah blah... reality is that my fuel light comes on with 60 miles range on , and when it does, you are looking for fuel straight away, Who is going to spend £100k to buy range anxiety? I know people who have a meltdown when their phone gets to 20%.

The upshot is that policy is being set by people who have no grasp of reality . If people want EV's , that's fine, but the nut huggers who keep spouting how popular they are , seem to forget the fact that they are subsidised to death, against a product that is taxed and legislated out of existence. The irony is , that my diesel car is £30 a year to tax , based on its emissions, to either it pollutes , or it doesn't . Its one step away from being free, so which is it.

Then perhaps we should be asking ourselves why we need to do such high milages :rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Use a paper clip to short out one of those "torch" batteries - the result will change your mind. There's one in my vape thingy that allows a current draw of up to 20A. Normal draw when I use it is 6A and it lasts a couple of days between charges

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Use a paper clip to short out one of those "torch" batteries - the result will change your mind. There's one in my vape thingy that allows a current draw of up to 20A. Normal draw when I use it is 6A and it lasts a couple of days between charges

And definitely don't lick it :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back